• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    If we are NOT free to exercise open carry of a long gun........and will face consequencesfor doing so.................thats pretty much a "law" .................no criminal code, no specific statute, but accomplishes the same thing.

Id also love to see a traffic stop with a loaded uncased FAL in plain sight/

I've been on many traffic stops (or runs) with loaded hand guns or long guns in plain sight and No one was shot or injured during the process. If everything was legal, then no harm no foul. and No it's not the same thing :rolleyesedit:

Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    I've been on many traffic stops (or runs) with loaded hand guns or long guns in plain sight and No one was shot or injured during the process. If everything was legal, then no harm no foul. and No it's not the same thing :rolleyesedit:

Would it be possible to PM your credentials??

I'd like to know more about the traffic stops.

Episcopus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Northwest Indiana
    if you want a lawyers opinion, call one. :rolleyesedit:

Exactly. Don't post on an anonymous message board if you won't believe the anonymous responses. You have been given good information in this thread. If you want anything else, call the State Police, or see if your local Prosecuting Attorney's office will take the time to answer the question, or call and set up a consultation with a private lawyer. They will tell you what you have already been told. If there is no prohibition in the IC, it isn't illegal. However, it may not be wise, depending on so many circumstances that a clear black and white answer is impossible.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    If you're going to make claims to having worked as an LEO, be prepared to back them up. A department name would be helpful, at least.

You are absolutely correct, I'm a 13 year old smart a** who loves to answer "what if" questions from other 13 year olds who love to play keyboard commando. Hey, weren't you in my study hall last semester ?

This Internet conversation is over because when well you argue with an i***t then......

My sincere apologies to any id**ts that I may have offended ;)

Episcopus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Northwest Indiana
    If you're going to make claims to having worked as an LEO, be prepared to back them up. A department name would be helpful, at least.

How would a department name make him more believable? I don't know what department he is/was on, but let's say he were to tell you he was an officer in North Manchester, or something. How does that help you? He is still an anonymous guy on an anonymous board and you still have no way to check up on him.

Again, you can either believe what you have been told here, or you can find someone you do trust and ask them.

Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    How would a department name make him more believable? I don't know what department he is/was on, but let's say he were to tell you he was an officer in North Manchester, or something. How does that help you? He is still an anonymous guy on an anonymous board and you still have no way to check up on him.

Again, you can either believe what you have been told here, or you can find someone you do trust and ask them.

I was actually going to call that dept and ask them the question. Followed by an attorney. Followed by someone in the prosecutors office.

He became very upset when his credentials were challenged and resorted to name calling.

Episcopus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Northwest Indiana
    I was actually going to call that dept and ask them the question. Followed by an attorney. Followed by someone in the prosecutors office.

That is probably the best course of action at this point. Good luck, I hope you find out what you are looking for. Could you stop back in and let us know what you find out? I don't know about the rest, but I would love to be corrected if I am wrong.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Are you kidding me? Checking credentials from an internet board? Please don't construe me as being rude, as it's not my intention... but doesn't that seem a WEE bit off? Now, I could rattle off my credentials all day, but if you weren't of priviledge ability or clearance or have an actual NEED for checking such credentials... I'm pretty sure my former superiors would tell you to **** off.

Just my :twocents:, but seems a bit silly to bust someone's balls over something you need to call your legal representation about anyway.

And for the record, It is legal to carry a loaded shotgun/longun in your vehicle in the state of Indiana. I'm not a lawyer, but I'm pretty versed in firearms law. If you can find it where it says it's illegal, I'll buy you a beer. Fair?

Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    Are you kidding me? Checking credentials from an internet board? Please don't construe me as being rude, as it's not my intention... but doesn't that seem a WEE bit off? Now, I could rattle off my credentials all day, but if you weren't of priviledge ability or clearance or have an actual NEED for checking such credentials... I'm pretty sure my former superiors would tell you to **** off.

Just my :twocents:, but seems a bit silly to bust someone's balls over something you need to call your legal representation about anyway.

And for the record, It is legal to carry a loaded shotgun/longun in your vehicle in the state of Indiana. I'm not a lawyer, but I'm pretty versed in firearms law. If you can find it where it says it's illegal, I'll buy you a beer. Fair?

I'm in Speedway, but don't drink much beer - ice tea is better for me.

I didn't expect to get viable credentials or be able to verify them. I was looking for the reaction to the question. The reaction was high emotion, little info.

Everyone seems to be "well versed in firearms law" , but I don't see folks (even amongst the gunnies) with a loaded ar-15 readily accessible in the vehicle.

It would be nice to have some in LE chime in with a contact who could verify the PD's stance on loaded long guns in vehicle/on person. LT or above.

then verfiy with atty.

then prosecutor.

Episcopus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Northwest Indiana

I didn't expect to get viable credentials or be able to verify them. I was looking for the reaction to the question. The reaction was high emotion, little info.

Everyone seems to be "well versed in firearms law" , but I don't see folks (even amongst the gunnies) with a loaded ar-15 readily accessible in the vehicle.

It would be nice to have some in LE chime in with a contact who could verify the PD's stance on loaded long guns in vehicle/on person. LT or above.

then verfiy with atty.

then prosecutor.

Cars get stolen pretty frequently, and broken into even more frequently. I will never leave an AR, AK, or my target shotguns in my car for any length of time. I like them too much, and they cost too much to run out and buy a new one the next day. Besides, it just invites trouble from bad guys who want guns. People don't open carry because they don't want to tip their hand or be the first target. Cars are way easier targets than people; cars don't fight back. Just because I don't do it doesn't mean it is illegal. I don't drink absinthe or smoke salvia divinorum, but those aren't illegal either.

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN

then verfiy with atty.

then prosecutor.

First, I know for a fact 4sarge is telling the truth and he doesn't have to prove it to anyone if he doesn't want to.

Secondly, you don't know the right people. I know of several people who keep rifles (ARs, AKs, etc.) in their viehicles either loaded or "cruiser ready". I don't but for the reasons Episcopus gave.

Lastly, why ask LEOs this? They aren't lawyers. Granted they generally know a lot about laws as enforcing them is their job, but even LEOs can and do give crappy and/or flat out wrong answers (the whole no OCing business comes to mind). Go straight to someone who's sole job is interpreting laws, a lawyer. The IC has also been given to you. Read it and see what you think. If it isn't banned, then it isn't banned. Period.

Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    Cars get stolen pretty frequently, and broken into even more frequently. I will never leave an AR, AK, or my target shotguns in my car for any length of time. I like them too much, and they cost too much to run out and buy a new one the next day. Besides, it just invites trouble from bad guys who want guns. People don't open carry because they don't want to tip their hand or be the first target. Cars are way easier targets than people; cars don't fight back. Just because I don't do it doesn't mean it is illegal. I don't drink absinthe or smoke salvia divinorum, but those aren't illegal either.

My original statement was that vehicle/open carry of loaded, readily accessible long guns was illegal.

I am willing to concede the point that there is no ACTUAL law in Indiana.

What good have we done if we have the right, but cannot exercise this right.

The problem is that Indiana doesn't need to pass an ACTUAL law when they can charge you with an array of other charges.

Why bother?

Episcopus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Northwest Indiana
    My original statement was that vehicle/open carry of loaded, readily accessible long guns was illegal.

I am willing to concede the point that there is no ACTUAL law in Indiana.

What good have we done if we have the right, but cannot exercise this right.

The problem is that Indiana doesn't need to pass an ACTUAL law when they can charge you with an array of other charges.

Why bother?

What other charge are you afraid of? Indiana doesn't have a disturbing the peace charge, either.

Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    First, I know for a fact 4sarge is telling the truth and he doesn't have to prove it to anyone if he doesn't want to.

Secondly, you don't know the right people. I know of several people who keep rifles (ARs, AKs, etc.) in their viehicles either loaded or "cruiser ready". I don't but for the reasons Episcopus gave.

Lastly, why ask LEOs this? They aren't lawyers. Granted they generally know a lot about laws as enforcing them is their job, but even LEOs can and do give crappy and/or flat out wrong answers (the whole no OCing business comes to mind). Go straight to someone who's sole job is interpreting laws, a lawyer. The IC has also been given to you. Read it and see what you think. If it isn't banned, then it isn't banned. Period.

There is no IC that can be located.

I looking for POV from LE, Attorney and Prosecutor.............fair and balanced.

How LE views the situation is important, because well, they decide if you go to jail.

Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    What other charge are you afraid of? Indiana doesn't have a disturbing the peace charge, either.

Take your AR-15, load a 30rd mag, sling it across your shoulder and carry it into Castleton Square Mall. I'll come to bail you out and we'll review the papework. Disorderly conduct at least.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

then verfiy with atty.

then prosecutor.

I'd be very shocked if you get any of that here. The folks who are active in the legal end of this are not quick to put anything in writing, thus committing themselves.

Top Bottom