• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    :+1::do2:

First, I know for a fact 4sarge is telling the truth and he doesn't have to prove it to anyone if he doesn't want to.

Secondly, you don't know the right people. I know of several people who keep rifles (ARs, AKs, etc.) in their viehicles either loaded or "cruiser ready". I don't but for the reasons Episcopus gave.

Lastly, why ask LEOs this? They aren't lawyers. Granted they generally know a lot about laws as enforcing them is their job, but even LEOs can and do give crappy and/or flat out wrong answers (the whole no OCing business comes to mind). Go straight to someone who's sole job is interpreting laws, a lawyer. The IC has also been given to you. Read it and see what you think. If it isn't banned, then it isn't banned. Period.

There are certainly folks who carry long guns in the passenger compartment of their vehicles (those of us with trucks dont have a choice) , and while you may consider them the minority, do not use that to limit the practice. Everybody prepares for a rainy day in a slightly different way.....

I like the way this thread went from questioning to heated to borderline pissy and back to polite and civil. Thats what I like about this board and why I think that Fenway is a good mod- because he didnt get in the middle and send us back to our rooms. Or maybe he was just sleeping.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I am not quite sure how I should respond to this thread.

I could:
    A) Be nice and answer the question. (WHICH HAS BEEN ANSWERED ALREADY.)
    B) Be my normal sarcastic self and berate the OP.
    C) Not answer, and just move along.
    D) Other.

I will go with C.

kbrown84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2008
    Southside
    Steelman;79819 A prosecutor could argue that some one with a loaded rifle disrupts the lawful assembly of people in Castleton Square Mall. Being unsure of your intent with a loaded rifle said:
    Is it just me, or does someone want to "shop with a cop" at castleton square?? :cool:

KB:popcorn2:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    If we are NOT free to exercise open carry of a long gun........and will face consequencesfor doing so.................thats pretty much a "law" .................no criminal code, no specific statute, but accomplishes the same thing.

Let me see if I understand. You're saying that because a DTP (not in IN) or a Disorderly Conduct charge might be made, you are not free to exercise your RKBA in re: long guns, specifically in Castleton Square Mall but generally as well.

By that reasoning, if you similarly enter Castleton Square Mall (or, for the sake of the example, Old Navy) and begin criticizing their business practices, they cannot ask you to leave and/or enforce that request with either a trespassing charge or a Disorderly Conduct, or both. You have the right of free speech. They have the right to bar you from their property whenever they wish, for as they wish, for any reason or no reason.

You said you were going to contact 4sarge's department and ask your question. I suggest instead of contacting the department of a person on the internet, you contact the Marion County prosecutor's office or the Attorney General's office. I won't guarantee you an answer, but I'd think those would be more authoritative replies.

As for that ride in the Crown Vic, you may or may not beat the ride, but if your actions truly do violate the law, you will not beat the rap.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    B

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    Ya know........ Not to hijack all the heated sparring but the whole long-gun carry talk hearkens me back to my high school days where many of the guys had rifles and shotguns in the window-racks of their pick-up trucks which they parked on school property. No one thought anything about this. And most of us carried pocket-knives too. Now a days we'd all get the swat team called on us and would be suspended and/or prosecuted.

BTW - This was the late 70s - early 80s.

Haven't the times changed?!?!? :rolleyesedit:

JcJ

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Haven't the times changed?!?!? :rolleyesedit:

Freshman year in HS, 1983.. I received a Turkish Mauser in trade for something maybe some vintage bottles I had dug up while doing fence posts.. I wasn't sure what kind of weapon I received or what ammo it shot and asked one of my Vo-Ag teachers about it.. He told me to bring it in to school so he could have a look.. I brought it on the bus, walked down the hall in school right past the main office and principles office's to the vo-ag wing at the other end of the school... And then home again that afternoon.. Nobody said a word, nothing wrong... and this was in suburban Connecticut for Christ sake.. . even the blue state from hell wasn't puss-i-fied,, yet..

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    When I was senior in high school (here in Indiana) back in 1982-833, I asked for permission from the principal before I brought my samurai sword to school for a skit during a pep rally. It was more a courtesy than anything else.

It was back when John Belushi's samurai character was still popular and funny. It was a rip-off of that, and in the end I sliced the giant paper banner before the team ran through. No one freaked out.

One of my junior high health teachers brought a pistol to school to show us during class and discuss gun safety. That was probably in 1979 or so.

Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    Wow. The thread came back.

For myself, I'm choosing not to open carry a long gun. The juice just isn't worth the squeeze.

I've heard compelling and well structured arguments that there isn't a law barring open carry.

I get in enough trouble on my own and wouldn't want to tempt fate. That's just me.

Kbrown84:

I've tried to "shop with a cop" before. While I meet the mentally challenged requirements, they say there are some really needy kids out there. Too old - a day late and dollar short.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    As far as Castleton Square, and open carry of longarms, most malls I have ever been to all have signs posted at the entrances that say NO WEAPONS permitted. That in itself will get you face time with someone over a possible criminal trespass. If CS mall is a SIMON mall, then no guns, a standing rule for this particular company. These signs are usually on the wall just inside the doors, and are listings of "Mall Rules". This has been my experience thus far, YMMV. But on topic, there is no law in Indiana against hauling your long gun down the street, common sense should prevail. My jeep has my AR and a shotgun in a Truck Vault, and I have my G19, or 442, or both at all times. If ever the zombie hordes attack while at the mall, hopefully the 19 will get me to the Jeep!:dunno:

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Not when my favorite shotgun is classified as a pistol in Indiana

mossberg500a.jpg

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    This is a great thread and cleared up many questions I had. I have considered carryin openly my shotty or any long gun for that matter just to see the reaction. I'm talking walking down US40 here in Plainfield minding my own business. LOL yea I know, p-town not the best place to play guinea pig, but if P-town won't deal with it, no one will. This is a town that will pull you over just to see who you are, where you're going, etc. Needless to say they know me by name! :D

I just figured I'd go play guinea pig and see what happens. Not that I'd like to be in another court room, but maybe something positive will come of it. While I have yet to OC my Kel-Tec as I am a new LTCH owner (which I do plan on OCing just as much as I plan to CC), I wouldn't have a problem OCing an SKS and having to talk to the LEOs especially being a LTCH owner. What's the worse they could legally do? Tell me to take it home? Nope, sorry, I don't have to. Hands behind my back? Ok. Hope you have as good a lawyer as me! :D

Also, what I don't understand is this:
    WHY ON EARTH IS EVERYONE WORRIED ABOUT HANDGUNS BEING CARRIED WITH AVERAGE OF 12 RNDS WHEN THERES NO LAWS ABOUT CARRYING A FULL AUTO AK CAPABLE OF 100RNDS??????

Opps, all ANTI biatchs turn a blind eye and pretend you never seen this or they may be a nationwide revolt at your expense...

Top Bottom