• ...and so much more!
  • KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    What the hell? There's only one type of long gun I hate... muzzies. And only one type of handgun I hate... those old ass, rickety, antiques that make flintlocks seem reliable..... 1911s

Kut (runs away)

I have a character flaw, I admit it, I see no use for a pump gun. I didn't have any use for a 1911 either, until Mod Mouse made me. :laugh:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    With AR15's so cheap these days who all is still rocking a good pump action shotgun? It's ok if you have both(I do of course), I don't see how many don't in this day and age for good reason! But who still shoots, trains, enjoys pumps? I have a love affair with Mossy 590A1's as they work for me and work well, but I snagged a used Remmy 870 tactical magpul edition Saturday and really like the way it feels. Many of us several years ago talked about the new Magpul shotgun furniture and how awesome it could be, who all grabbed those goodies up and still use them?

While I keep a rifle handy I still grab a 12 gauge pump most often around the house, so many uses! So I ask, who is rocking a pump? :)

attachment.php

Why don't you see many at the range? There are tens of millions if not more of slide-action shotguns in this country.

I have more than several hundred hours of class time using slide-actions. I use 870s. I never understood the manual of arms with the Mossbergs, especially given that the most common malfunction is forgetting to take the safety off. I have Scattergun Technologies "FBI Models" and one "Border Patrol" model because I am old, deal with it. Mesa Tactical sidesaddles now and new lights as I bought them way before the flashlight revolution.

Grabbed those goodies up? Is the Magpul stock out of production? Did they stop when they moved out of Colorado (snicker)?

The Magpul stock is just fine. I thought it would work against my Charlie Brown head but I have used a world famous gunwriter's Magpulized 870 and it works with my round head just fine.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I think #1 FC is now what the coolest of the kewl run. It's actually pretty impressive in testing, extremely consistent including in intermediate barrier testing.

That said I'm still using 00 FC. The differences are angels dancing on the head of a pin.

The #1 FlightControl works like a tall dog in all my guns.

I have a boxcar full of Federal #4 Buck Reduced Recoil so that is what I use. But I like that FC and the Horn TAP too. Dramatic improvement in shotgun ammo over the decades I have been shooting/training.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Thanks, I do to. When the law was changed I went on the hunt for a factory 870 SBS (I hate engraving my name/info on guns) and was lucky enough to stumble across this one pretty quickly. Wish I could shoot the danged thing.

Love that shotgun. Donkey D**k slings aren't my scene, but I don't do what you do so there you go. $3 gun show carry straps (soft so they grab clothes) are optimal for me.

Pdog, best wishes in your recovery and, yes, I am going to ask . . . have you tried yoga?:D

Thread the needle. Guaranteed scar tissue breaker.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    My first shotgun was a Mossberg 500 that I bought at Montgomery Wards.
    I think I paid like $115 for the combo (24" rifled slug barrel and a bird shot barrel, not sure of length), a soft-side case, and a box of #6 shot.
    I was 18 years old. No-one asked for I.D.
    There was no background check.
    No-one needed to walk me out of the store, even though I was carrying both an operable shotgun AND ammunition, and the store was located inside the Tippecanoe Mall in Lafayette.

Fast forward at least a couple of days,
    I know own 3 Mossberg 500's, one in each flavor.
    I have the 500 12ga combo, not the original.
    Then there's the 500 combo in 20ga,
    and then the one in .410bore.

They are not my only shotguns, but they are my only pumps.
    They probably don't get as much love as they should these days, but if I "NEEDED" a shotgun, I would not hesitate to grab one of the Mossy's.

I just played with an AR15 in .410 yesterday
    Yes, it was fun.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    My first shotgun was a Mossberg 500 that I bought at Montgomery Wards.
    I think I paid like $115 for the combo (24" rifled slug barrel and a bird shot barrel, not sure of length), a soft-side case, and a box of #6 shot.
    I was 18 years old. No-one asked for I.D.
    There was no background check.
    No-one needed to walk me out of the store, even though I was carrying both an operable shotgun AND ammunition, and the store was located inside the Tippecanoe Mall in Lafayette.

Fast forward at least a couple of days,
    I know own 3 Mossberg 500's, one in each flavor.
    I have the 500 12ga combo, not the original.
    Then there's the 500 combo in 20ga,
    and then the one in .410bore.

They are not my only shotguns, but they are my only pumps.
    They probably don't get as much love as they should these days, but if I "NEEDED" a shotgun, I would not hesitate to grab one of the Mossy's.

I just played with an AR15 in .410 yesterday
    Yes, it was fun.

I didn't figure out who you were yesterday, until after it was over. We almost met. :laugh:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I prefer the slide-action as the manipulation is easier. Sort of like how NASCAR drivers prefer manuals, they know where 3rd gear is, etc.

Regardless of the platform, the downside of the shotgun is ammo capacity, you want to train loading, just like a revolver.

You also want to train your shoulders and triceps. Lots of handling. Sling arms to on target, over and over and over, both African and American. Do your presses. Hold on target, starting at 1 minute and working up. Yeah, those dumb extended magazines will come off the gun after that.

The gun itself should be as light as you can make it. Cut down that Wal-mart stock. LOPs are just stupid long and you don't have 15" forearms.

Ditch the unreliable extended mag tubes. Have a way to carry ammo on the weapon. Get a sling (no, you don't need a ninja sling, $3 at a gun show), train how to move with it inside the house so it will not grab door knobs.

Train the safety. Continual use and it will become second nature and you will not have the most common malfunction.

Above all, get a class. Lots of good guns out there, but few have the training to make informed decisions to what they should have. Allow your software (your training) to select your hardware.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Why don't you see many at the range? There are tens of millions if not more of slide-action shotguns in this country.I have more than several hundred hours of class time using slide-actions. I use 870s. I never understood the manual of arms with the Mossbergs, especially given that the most common malfunction is forgetting to take the safety off. I have Scattergun Technologies "FBI Models" and one "Border Patrol" model because I am old, deal with it. Mesa Tactical sidesaddles now and new lights as I bought them way before the flashlight revolution.Grabbed those goodies up? Is the Magpul stock out of production? Did they stop when they moved out of Colorado (snicker)?The Magpul stock is just fine. I thought it would work against my Charlie Brown head but I have used a world famous gunwriter's Magpulized 870 and it works with my round head just fine.
    Those Fbi models sound great, what kind of options are on those? I've seen a border patrol model and it was slick!!

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I prefer the slide-action as the manipulation is easier. Sort of like how NASCAR drivers prefer manuals, they know where 3rd gear is, etc. Regardless of the platform, the downside of the shotgun is ammo capacity, you want to train loading, just like a revolver.You also want to train your shoulders and triceps. Lots of handling. Sling arms to on target, over and over and over, both African and American. Do your presses. Hold on target, starting at 1 minute and working up. Yeah, those dumb extended magazines will come off the gun after that.The gun itself should be as light as you can make it. Cut down that Wal-mart stock. LOPs are just stupid long and you don't have 15" forearms. Ditch the unreliable extended mag tubes. Have a way to carry ammo on the weapon. Get a sling (no, you don't need a ninja sling, $3 at a gun show), train how to move with it inside the house so it will not grab door knobs. Train the safety. Continual use and it will become second nature and you will not have the most common malfunction.Above all, get a class. Lots of good guns out there, but few have the training to make informed decisions to what they should have. Allow your software (your training) to select your hardware.
    Sling check, conditioning check, my extended mag tubes are factory and have always worked well? Shotguns like to eat above all yes, agree that is a priority.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    Gotta love the pump guns. I read a thing or two about some people having trouble knowing how to pump one but don't understand such a lack of dexterity. Picked up an 870 express in '91 that has taken squirrel and deer including an 11 point that dressed at 192 lbs. About the time I bought it I also ordered rifle sights that clamp on to the ventilated rib. Makes a good smooth bore slug gun out to almost 100 yards. It has been a house gun as of late wearing an 18" police barrel. Keep it loaded with 00 buck. Also have an 870 trap gun that I used for informal trap a few times. First time shooting doubles I hit 38 of 50. Reliable and versatile.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Those Fbi models sound great, what kind of options are on those? I've seen a border patrol model and it was slick!!

Options?

Way back when, not everything was Burger King and you couldn't get a special snowflake gun. The FBI Model as the option at ST.

IIRC, they had like 8 models to choose from. You picked what you wanted and they sent it to your FFL.

One of the IMPD cops here was living in Nashville in the days of ST. You may want to ask him. But I do not remember any options.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Options?

Way back when, not everything was Burger King and you couldn't get a special snowflake gun. The FBI Model as the option at ST.

IIRC, they had like 8 models to choose from. You picked what you wanted and they sent it to your FFL.

One of the IMPD cops here was living in Nashville in the days of ST. You may want to ask him. But I do not remember any options.

Copy that thanks, wasn't sure if they were all equipped with ghost ring sights, over sized safeties, etc. It's amazing what can be done with the simple bead sight!!

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Gotta love the pump guns. I read a thing or two about some people having trouble knowing how to pump one but don't understand such a lack of dexterity. Picked up an 870 express in '91 that has taken squirrel and deer including an 11 point that dressed at 192 lbs. About the time I bought it I also ordered rifle sights that clamp on to the ventilated rib. Makes a good smooth bore slug gun out to almost 100 yards. It has been a house gun as of late wearing an 18" police barrel. Keep it loaded with 00 buck. Also have an 870 trap gun that I used for informal trap a few times. First time shooting doubles I hit 38 of 50. Reliable and versatile.

Agreed, a good shotguns versatility is almost unrivaled with the right barrels/ammo available!

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    Well, I don't qualify for the "shoots and trains" but I guess I qualify for the "enjoys" pumps. At least recently. I probably haven't touched one in a decade but for some reason my last two purchases were pumps. I picked up one of the Shockwaves a couple of weeks ago 'just because'. I dunno,....probably a toy but maybe a house gun eventually. Most likely just a toy though.

The second pump was a gunshow find two weeks ago and I'm really enjoying handling it. It's a no-name French 12ga retailed by Montgomery Wards. It's just a cheap hunting gun but it's very slick and well made and in great condition. It's got a fixed tube mag that only holds three 2-3/4 shells so nobody else would look at it I'm sure. It's alloy receiver with an original 19" modified choke barrel so it's not quite like anything available currently. Probably never did really fit in as anyone's ideal shotgun, but it's as light as a pistol and super quick handling. I'm running it with the Herters 2-1/4 buckshots for reduced recoil and an additional round capacity making it a 4+1. I just think it's the coolest little gun I've handled in years and would probably grab it before even the Shockwave for bumping around inside a dark house.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Copy that thanks, wasn't sure if they were all equipped with ghost ring sights, over sized safeties, etc. It's amazing what can be done with the simple bead sight!!

Oh, you mean features. Right then.

Shorter LOP stock, ghostrights, integral light on fore-end, sidesaddle, oversized safety which deleted lock.

There should be photos of the Scattergun Tech guns. Let me check. Here they are in my basement ready rack (INGO master carpenters please do not mock my work, I am trying):

images

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Here's one of my FBI models (lower) with a newer 870 (Poleizi Model) with a Magpul stock (top) which belongs to a world-famous gun writer (yeah, I hang out with gun writers, I'm kinda a big deal):

870s.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom