• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I'm not sure how into detail one can be in answering this without spoilers. I will say that I did NOT like the plot and character development in TLJ, and am much more satisfied having seen TROS. I also can imagine that those who loved TLJ will have the exact opposite impression of TROS.

There are many, uh, Easter eggs? Nods? Moments of direct response between movies?

(Is there a spoilers-allowed thread somewhere, btw?)

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break-room/475999-rise-skywalker-spoilers-here.html

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    sTJBHas.jpg

[video=youtube;e5fiBFhf9OQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5fiBFhf9OQ[/video]

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    For those who have seen it, would you recommend a re-watch of VII & VIII beforehand? I have seen them both but only once.

I had a flight across the Atlantic a few weeks ago, and used it as an opportunity to re-watch VII and VIII. It did help.

wakproductions

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Indianapolis
    For those who have seen it, would you recommend a re-watch of VII & VIII beforehand? I have seen them both but only once.

No, and that's the problem I have with this movie. It doesn't build very well on anything established in the first two films of the trilogy because of Disney's internal politics, which led to incoherent changes in direction for the story arc. In fact I hate these last 3 films because it's hard to say there is a story arc.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    There's an arc albeit thin; Rey and her powers. Although clunky her powers slowly develop along with her back story in the first two with a Tsunami of fill material dumped into the third installment. No doubt her character could have been BETTER developed in a more linear fashion across the three but when you have a total lack of coherency in the bigger story arc it's tough to develop the characters in a coherent fashion.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I don't want to see the spoilers, I want to figure out if I want to spend my money on it. Saying whether they continued with that nonsense is not giving away anything important.

The last one disgusted me. Built on top of the Marvel nonsense, I am fed up with Disney.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    OK guys. Key question. How much of the social engineering garbage was in this one?

Next to none, as far as I could tell?

Seriously, this movie played as if Disney execs said: "Hey, our last few Star Wars movies have basically bombed at the box office. Let's wrap up this saga with a nice, pretty bow, and give the fans everything they want." It could have been fan fiction, honestly. But, it packed a lot into the two and a half hours. It was visually stunning. It was so much more "Star Wars"-like, especially compared to TLJ.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Seriously, this movie played as if Disney execs said: "Hey, our last few Star Wars movies have basically bombed at the box office. Let's wrap up this saga with a nice, pretty bow, and give the fans everything they want." It could have been fan fiction, honestly. But, it packed a lot into the two and a half hours. It was visually stunning. It was so much more "Star Wars"-like, especially compared to TLJ.

That's the way we saw it.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

That's the way we saw it.
    This is really encouraging. I’m looking forward to seeing it sometime this weekend. Most likely Sunday.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

Thanks Chip. Sounds like I will see it then.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Speaking of Cinemark, I see they've reopened in Greenwood with first run movies, I take it that their days as a discounted theater are over?

Way over. Went there last week...prices are now typical, snacks are stupid expensive (so bring your own) but the remodel they did was very very good. Nice comfortable seats, all new.

The AMC at Southern Plaza is nasty dirty, and the seating all feels like some 700 pounder was in it for many hours before you got there. I can't sit for more than about 90 mins there before my back is killing me.

wakproductions

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Most of the naysayers problems with the plot come from the newest films completely ignoring alot of the expanded universe that. Covers the same timeline. It was once seen as being pretty much starwars cannon and now is being thrown out the window. If you're a diehard fan and followed alot of the expanded universe material it makes it harder to enjoy watching the Disney made movies.

That seems to happen a lot when a franchise gets bought by some big media company. The creative decisions get entangled in corporate politics, and executives who don't see anything but a property to make a quick buck from. They delegate people to work on it who have no understanding of the fans, the rich history behind the property, or appreciation for canon. It gets cheapened down for profit, and becomes something of a junk food version of what it used to be. This exact thing has happened to Ghostbusters and Star Trek.

I guess it can be argued that everything JJ Abrams touches turns into a separate universe. Maybe whatever the last trilogy is could be considered the JJverse and took place in an alternate dimension. lol

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    That seems to happen a lot when a franchise gets bought by some big media company. The creative decisions get entangled in corporate politics, and executives who don't see anything but a property to make a quick buck from. They delegate people to work on it who have no understanding of the fans, the rich history behind the property, or appreciation for canon. It gets cheapened down for profit, and becomes something of a junk food version of what it used to be. This exact thing has happened to Ghostbusters and Star Trek.

I guess it can be argued that everything JJ Abrams touches turns into a separate universe. Maybe whatever the last trilogy is could be considered the JJverse and took place in an alternate dimension. lol

This was a feature, not a bug, of Disney's vision of the Star Wars franchise. They made that clear when they retconned the entire, four-decade library of formerly canon EU novels.

As I said back then: I'm okay with that, as long as Disney still tells good stories with the franchise.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Saw this flick yesterday with the family. My wife and daughter both liked it. I thought it was fine. Felt more "Star Wars-ey" than some of the others, with the jarring cut scenes, abrupt plot swings, and over-the-top acting. But, that is more like the original series. The CGI is beyond outstanding. The landscapes look absolutely real. Some of the characters feel contrived and shallow. Once again, more like the original series.

Overall: not terrible. Worth it to hear my wife and kiddo jabbering on about their favorite parts on the drive home.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Saw it last night. Overall: :yesway: First half hour the exposition seemed to get in its own way. Kinda choppy like others have said. But once it settles in, it’s a good story. Also like others have said it was a satisfying ending.

It does help to have an understanding of Star Wars lore. There were several parts of the movie I had to explain to my nieces. They’re not into Star Wars, but they like these movies because of Rey. But some of the parts of the movie they didn’t understand what was happening or why. They said they enjoyed it even when they didn’t know what was going on.

I think that’s something Abrams is really good at doing. Creating a visual story that’s interesting even if you don’t fully understand what’s happening.

Top Bottom