The unofficial Churches should not be tax exempt thread.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should Churches be tax exempt?

• Total voters

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Do you enjoy liquor? That's a tax.

Do you enjoy cigarettes? That's a tax.

Do you enjoy gambling? That's a tax.

Do you enjoy soft drinks? They tried that.

Do you enjoy guns?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Right Jessie and Al should be allowed to support Dems and campaign in black Churches all they want.

From the surreal side of the world, the leftists all have their underwear in a bunch, why? Trump spoke at the invitation of black pastors at a black church in the last week or so, just as you note above. Cannot imagine Bush, McCain, and Romney getting that invitation.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Really? I give money to an organization that assists battered women and children, you are saying they should pay taxes on the money I give them? Political parties should pay taxes on contributions? Boys and girls clubs should pay taxes? Scouts? How about a neighborhood HOA? Non-profit organizations should not be taxed...
    Ive not seen too many churches I would consider non-profit. I recently was in Louisville for my wife’s family Christmas, and in talking with her uncle about their MEGA-Church(several campuses, huge new buildings, 10K average attendance each service) and he was talking about their approximately $30M budget!! No way no how are you operating non profit with $30,000,000. Not SHOWING a profit is NOT the same as NON- profit.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Ive not seen too many churches I would consider non-profit. I recently was in Louisville for my wife’s family Christmas, and in talking with her uncle about their MEGA-Church(several campuses, huge new buildings, 10K average attendance each service) and he was talking about their approximately $30M budget!! No way no how are you operating non profit with $30,000,000. Not SHOWING a profit is NOT the same as NON- profit.

Non-profit does not mean low budget, there are strict IRS guidelines for what they can do with the money.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Do you enjoy liquor? That's a tax.

No. Does liquor help the homeless?

Do you enjoy cigarettes? That's a tax.

No. Do cigarettes feed the poor?

Do you enjoy gambling? That's a tax.

No. They fund addiction programs, that do no good.

Do you enjoy soft drinks? They tried that.

Diet Coke.

Do you enjoy guns?

Yes. The excise tax on guns and ammo is "SUPPOSED" to be used to fund DNR and National Parks.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010

Non-profit doesn't mean what you seem to think it means.

Non-profit organizations can make a profit. It's just that they have a goal that is something other than making a profit, i.e. they are not a business (and accordingly do not have shareholders or pay dividends). In the rest of the English-speaking world, they tend to be called "non-government organizations" (NGOs), and I think that using both terms together does a good job of describing the organizations. They are organizations whose primary purpose is to provide a societal benefit rather than to engage in commerce.

Churches in the U.S. are tax exempt even if they are not non-profit organizations. They can file the registration paperwork, but they don't have to do so to be tax exempt.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Non-profit doesn't mean what you seem to think it means.

Non-profit organizations can make a profit. It's just that they have a goal that is something other than making a profit, i.e. they are not a business (and accordingly do not have shareholders or pay dividends). In the rest of the English-speaking world, they tend to be called "non-government organizations" (NGOs), and I think that using both terms together does a good job of describing the organizations. They are organizations whose primary purpose is to provide a societal benefit rather than to engage in commerce.

Churches in the U.S. are tax exempt even if they are not non-profit organizations. They can file the registration paperwork, but they don't have to do so to be tax exempt.
    So basically, a license to make money with no governmental obligation? Got it. Oh, and I know what it means, as I also know a bunch of non-profits are scams to make money for the founders (Clinton Foundation anyone).

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Hell yeah they should pay taxes. Biggest rackets in history is organized religion.
    Everyone should play on the same level. If they use some money for acceptible charity then let them claim it properly.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Hell yeah they should pay taxes. Biggest rackets in history is organized religion.
    Everyone should play on the same level. If they use some money for acceptible charity then let them claim it properly.
    Largest land owner in the world is the Catholic Church, but they don’t rent from the government here.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    So basically, a license to make money with no governmental obligation? Got it. Oh, and I know what it means, as I also know a bunch of non-profits are scams to make money for the founders (Clinton Foundation anyone).

There is not a net financial benefit to running a charitable foundation when you don't draw a salary. It's just basically impossible.

There are some nonfinancial benefits (reputation, influence, staying connected with wealthy donors), but the Clintons have donated much more money than they have received.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There is not a net financial benefit to running a charitable foundation when you don't draw a salary. It's just basically impossible.

There are some nonfinancial benefits (reputation, influence, staying connected with wealthy donors), but the Clintons have donated much more money than they have received.

This is not what I am reading/hearing about Billery.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I think, like any individual, that churches should be taxed on the income they collect. I also think churches (and other service-based non-profits) should be able to deduct their charitble expenses at a 100% rate.

Tax the money if is collected to help yourself (or your organization), allow a big deduction for money collected (and spent) helping others.

...that's just, like, my opinion though...man.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    So if I donate a box of canned goods to my church pantry, you want the government to get a cut before any goes to the poor?

Top Bottom