The Younger/Dryas comet impact crater found...How old is civilization??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    The “great flood” is universal about the same time regardless of geographical location that kinda rules out local events.
    Seems like a lot untrust in the alien theory?
    Must not be a fan of the History channel.
    when a person states “not saying it’s aliens but” it’s meant as a joke.

I think the great flood may be from Indy’s great meteor?

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    The “great flood” is universal about the same time regardless of geographical location that kinda rules out local events.
    Seems like a lot untrust in the alien theory?
    Must not be a fan of the History channel.
    when a person states “not saying it’s aliens but” it’s meant as a joke.

I think the great flood may be from Indy’s great meteor?

I think those of us in and around Perry county really get to see the effect of that mega flood...We were about 70 miles south of the ice sheet and when she melted in an instant you can really see the effects of it...Especially around Branchville and St Croix road......Our field near Jubin creek is strewn with busted up sandstone below the two extinct waterfalls.....
    DrIA4G_WoAE5d90.jpg
    DqsmGQPW4AAjmyI.jpg
    DrIA4HEWoAALk0n.jpg
    DqsmGQbXQAAfVrf.jpg

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I think those of us in and around Perry county really get to see the effect of that mega flood...We were about 70 miles south of the ice sheet and when she melted in an instant you can really see the effects of it...Especially around Branchville and St Croix road......Our field near Jubin creek is strewn with busted up sandstone below the two extinct waterfalls.....

I assume you are not serious?

-Nate

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I assume you are not serious?

-Nate

Dead serious.....That's what this thread is about....This black layer of soil is the "instant"......We had a warming period then got put back into an ice age for a thousand years which ended in an instant...Even if you take the old approach it was 1000 years which would qualify as in an "instant" in geological time....

sites-with-black-mats.jpg
    Younger+Dryas+Impact+Study.jpg
    kometa9.jpg
    070718_CG_dryas_inline_3_cave.jpg
    graph.jpg

Last edited:

finnegan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Clark County
    “The energy released during the impact was equivalent to 47 million Hiroshima bombs,” Nicolaj Larsen, a lead author of the study from the CGG, told Newsweek. “The effect on the environment would have been massive both locally in northwest Greenland but also globally. Dust from the impact and water from melting the ice sheet could have caused a global cooling event.”
    https://www.newsweek.com/san-francisco-sized-crater-huge-meteor-impact-discovered-beneath-greenland-1215341
    [FONT=&quot]
    "As KU Emeritus Professor of Physics & Astronomy Adrian Melott explained in a KU press release:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    “The hypothesis is that a large comet fragmented and the chunks impacted the Earth, causing this disaster. A number of different chemical signatures — carbon dioxide, nitrate, ammonia and others — all seem to indicate that an astonishing 10 percent of the Earth’s land surface, or about 10 million square kilometers, was consumed by fires.”
    https://www.universetoday.com/13846...egrating-comet-setting-off-global-firestorms/

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    ...Even if you take the old approach it was 1000 years which would qualify as in an "instant" in geological time....

Ah. I'm tracking with you. I thought you were taking the literal/biblical approach to "instant", which I would have to disagree with, being a geologist.

-Nate

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Ah. I'm tracking with you. I thought you were taking the literal/biblical approach to "instant", which I would have to disagree with, being a geologist.

-Nate

I am one of those guys that see no conflict between the bible and geology (I know that makes me an outlier lol).....

If the impact theory on the ice cap proves true then let me ask you this....How fast would that sheet have melted????

And being a geologist what do you think of the pics I posted of our property? It's very interesting as I find (as well as others) quite a few trilobite track fossils in our creek...

mississippian-age-cruziana-trilobite-trackway-3.jpg

Last edited:

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    So the “climate change” killed off the megafauna?

I find it hard to believe humanity killed off the Short faced bear, Camels, Giant Beavers, ect. in North America.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    So the “climate change” killed off the megafauna?

I find it hard to believe humanity killed off the Short faced bear, Camels, Giant Beavers, ect. in North America.

That theory is called the "Blitzkrieg theory"...That Clovis came in with their sophisticated, fluted points and got all the way to the tip of South America in 900 years pausing only long enough to slaughter all of the mega fauna....

Because that would be a cake walk....

Smilodon-size1-738x591.jpg

main-qimg-3fe76981fd055037f8675845f632ecc8

0bfaoe9l06kz.jpg

Last edited:

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I am one of those guys that see no conflict between the bible and geology (I know that makes me an outlier lol).....

The trouble with a-theists is, same as with hard-line creationists, that they have no apparent ability to recognize that they could be entirely incorrect in their beliefs.

There really ARE a lot more people that fall somewhere in the middle, unsure of what to think about the universe.

If the impact theory on the ice cap proves true then let me ask you this....How fast would that sheet have melted????

Truly, that is outside my range of expertise. That being said, there are other theories, methane hydrates being at the forefront, for events that can amp temperatures fast enough to cause rapid melting of an ice sheet.

Let me ask a question, with the noted statement that I have FAR from read this entire thread:

Why would a bolide event or meteor impact cause worldwide warming? ALL known examples of events that propel and suspend large amounts of particulate in the atmosphere have caused periods of atmospheric cooling.

I grant you, at a polar impact site itself, there would be a large radius of ice converted to plasma, water, vapor, etc.

But if you're going with an impact theory, you'd be better to look for a place where that impact could trigger other events in a force-multiplication effect, rather than thinking of the meteor as the cause = effect.

Put a meteor or major earthquake close enough to large continental slope deposits of methane hydrates, or otherwise destabilize them (including thermally, such as anthropogenic warming), and you are set up for a MAJOR temperature swing in extremely short time-frame.

Methane is a greenhouse gas that is recognized as close to 30 times as efficient at trapping solar radiation as the dreaded carbon dioxide.

Release a bunch, and it gets warmer. Which warms the system, which "melts" more hydrates, which releases more. ....Which releases more. ...which.... See what I mean?

Undersea landslides from earthquakes and meteors certainly have the capability to trigger nearly logarithmic increases in global temperature. Said landslides can also be triggered by the methane itself due to seawater warming from any cause...the methane "ice" is part of the sediment itself, and removing it as a gas does, indeed, destabilize the slope.....

Scared about global warming yet?

And being a geologist what do you think of the pics I posted of our property? It's very interesting as I find (as well as others) quite a few trilobite track fossils in our creek...

Trilobites are cool as sh#@. I love the little buggers. "Roly polies" are what we call them, and it's a wonderful time with a little kid wandering around in the woods turning over rocks and logs looking at 'em.

As for the geology of your property, I think it is awesome! In Perry County, you could be on Mississippian Formation limestone bedrock, of at least 325 million years of age. It's a split county, so if it is indeed sandstone, it would be a little younger Pennsylvanian, say...300 million years old.

I also think that you are staring at millions of years of hydraulic erosion from what was once the maximum depth of those sedimentary deposits.

Perry county is south of the terminal moraines from BOTH the Illinoian (c. 130-190 million years ago) AND the more recent Wisconsinan (c. 20,000 years ago) glacial maximums:

http://legacy.earlham.edu/~scottna/graphics/IndGlaciationMAP2 copy.jpg

What that means is that even RECENT glacial till deposits would never have reached as far south as your territory, so your bedrock has been more-or-less exposed for as much as...oh, 298 million years?

Water is the universal solvent. Given enough time...

-Nate

Last edited:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    ...and you OWN that?

Lucky....

-Nate

Thank you sir...We're going to build a cabin or a pole barn home there soon...Not in the designated forest but in the field.....We own to the rock walls and the Fed's own above it....There is one part in the 30 acres you can get down from the top without killing yourself...It's a game highway and underneath the rock shelters are game tracks like you wouldn't believe...I've identified some pretty rare ferns, including filmy fern underneath one of the rock shelters near the cave....See some funky salamanders there as well.....

Here is a pic from the Nature Conservancy property about a 1/4 mile up from our cliffs....

3dfdb20d62e994b85aa056c183ebfea6.jpg

Here's a link to the thread when we were buying it....

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break-room/428196-we-buying-rock.html?428196=#post6884104

Top Bottom