The Younger/Dryas comet impact crater found...How old is civilization??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I took a course in college and it was the professor's contention that civilization (or humans forming villages and towns) that led to domestication of plants and animals as need and specialization made it economical.

I still think he was on to something. Who would spend all the time and effort to farm if you didn't have a market for your excess grain? Where would you store it? And stored grain is a depreciating asset, more so then than now.

And where the heck does corn/maize really come from? No one knows for sure even to this day. There is no wild corn, like there is every other grain. And how the heck did those people around Oaxaca really develop those thousands and thousands of different domesticated plants?

They're working on that question

MAIZE Project. Learn more about Maize (Corn): History, Genetics, Ecology, and other information.
    MAIZE Project - Ancestors of Maize

As for the how of those devopments by the people around Oaxaca, take a look at what potatoes were like before and after men began to selectively breed them

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    You mean everyone’s backyard doesn’t look like this?

:)

Front yard.....
    Dsx0VE2XQAI2b0g.jpg

The waterfall....In the backyard....

Dsx0VEzWsAIHEc4.jpg

I can't tell if these were worn by the waterfall or if native made bedrock mortars....

Dsx0VE1W0AAn60I.jpg

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Nate,

I once thought these we bedrock mortars but I am now not so sure...They are located below the extinct waterfall and do not appear as smooth as my neighbor's bedrock mortars....What do you think??

I'm no anthropologist, but all the ones I've seen were basically spherical bowls, which is understandable if you have ever spent much time using a mortar and pestle.

Given the context, at least for all the holes below the waterfall's location, I'd go with 'naturally occurring'

finnegan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Clark County
    Well, after seeing these pics if another meteor hits, I'm officially submitting my application to be Rick's resident hermit/blacksmith/ skywatcher. Beautiful land, Rick.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-46358789

Article that uses a marker of 39,000 years ago for the extinction of the "Siberian Unicorn," but squarely puts it in the same timeframe as "modern" humans.

I'm not exactly clear on whether the updated timeline is scientifically sound, yet, but I'm confident there'll be much peer review of it.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-46358789

Article that uses a marker of 39,000 years ago for the extinction of the "Siberian Unicorn," but squarely puts it in the same timeframe as "modern" humans.

I'm not exactly clear on whether the updated timeline is scientifically sound, yet, but I'm confident there'll be much peer review of it.

Thanks for posting Tlex...I guess they were died out before the ice free corridor opened up from Sibera so none would have made it here....

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I'm no anthropologist, but all the ones I've seen were basically spherical bowls, which is understandable if you have ever spent much time using a mortar and pestle.

Given the context, at least for all the holes below the waterfall's location, I'd go with 'naturally occurring'

Here is an example of a man made bedrock mortar across the road from our property and some red ochre we found in our rock shelter....
    DtB7DU4XgAE2um2.jpg
    DtB7DU3W0AA_o_n.jpg
    DtB7DU7WoAABAFg.jpg

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Wow indiucki you've found evidence of ancient peoples living on your land? That's really cool. As a kid one of my favorite things was walking the woods and fields looking for signs of Indians. I guess I thought I was gonna find a village or something lol. I made my own teepee and all. I loved nature and history. Found many many arrowheads.
    I have a bunch of arrowheads but I dont know anything about them or how to tell what is what. I got them when my uncle died.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Wow indiucki you've found evidence of ancient peoples living on your land? That's really cool. As a kid one of my favorite things was walking the woods and fields looking for signs of Indians. I guess I thought I was gonna find a village or something lol. I made my own teepee and all. I loved nature and history. Found many many arrowheads.
    I have a bunch of arrowheads but I dont know anything about them or how to tell what is what. I got them when my uncle died.

I grew up at the foot of the Falls of the Ohio.....Mom would plant a shrub..Out would come a point...Playing in the dirt at George Rogers Clark grade school? Find a broken knife.....Our property in Perry County has five rock shelters on it but they were so looted over the past 80 years or so that I find a broken point, or broken animal bones split to get the marrow quite a bit.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockhouse_Cliffs_Rockshelters

Ohio-River-4.bmp

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Top Bottom