Throwing away factory boxes and paperwork? Why?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    If it’s cardboard it’s gone, sooner or later. I’m not wasting the space, that could be more productively used, on cardboard gun boxes. Definitely not losing space in the safe to boxes.

I also don’t view or buy firearms as investments, so whether or not the box adds value is irrelevant to me.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Bravo Sierra.

I have all the hard cases that they came in. This and the soft carry takes up enough room. The boxes.........Meh. We really do not have the space. Plus with any mods like Optics/bipods etc they will not fit anymore anyway.

:scratch:

There's plenty of "NIB" common guns (e.g. Glock) that the seller is listing over market price assuming that buyers believe it's worth more because they have the cardboard box and only shot "one magazine."

Plastic case? Sure, keep those, but that's not what the OP is talking about.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I tend to keep my firearms original factory boxes and paperwork. I have them stacked neatly in my attic, they eat nothing and have added value in the instances where I have sold a firearm. That is just what works for me...to each their own.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Cardboard, I cut the barcode off put in a baggie with the paperwork and put it in a cabinet. Toss the cardboard, I won't pay more for a used gun that comes with trash that I have to get rid of. I almost hate rifles that come with hardcases. They take up space and I'm going to carry in a soft case or a pelican, blowmold cases are for the birds. I keep them only because those are the cases that matter when it comes to a sale. I keep all pistol cases

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    :scratch:

There's plenty of "NIB" common guns (e.g. Glock) that the seller is listing over market price assuming that buyers believe it's worth more because they have the cardboard box and only shot "one magazine."

Plastic case? Sure, keep those, but that's not what the OP is talking about.

My response was possibly not very clear. I put no value on a box unless it is the hardcase/Box the pistol came in. If I want the gun and it presents well as expected I have ways to carry.
    If someone has the room/time/energy to keep all that in order good on them. My spouse has no issues with my hobby/obsession until it takes up space in "HER" closets.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I tend to keep my firearms original factory boxes and paperwork. I have them stacked neatly in my attic, they eat nothing and have added value in the instances where I have sold a firearm. That is just what works for me...to each their own.

A collector piece heck yes. Something rare/special heck yeah.
    Custom pieces.....Meh.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I keep most boxes but there are a few that I let go. A couple of years back, I donated my P09 box for a Project Riley gun that didn't have a factory CZ box. I little while back, I used my G21 box to bundle up a G23 I sold, but I ended up buying that gun back and got the G21 box back with it. I don't think that G23 came with a box as I had bought that one used. They do take up a lot of space. I've toyed with boxing up all of the boxes and putting in my storage unit, but have not because I know that will lead to guns and boxes parting ways. For now, they are stacked down in the basement in a manner that does not attract the wife's attention.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Glock sells replacement boxes, manuals, and accessories. It will not have a serial number sticker tho. Beretta also sells their pistol cases brush and cup thing, and user manual are free from them. I keep pistol cases because they are small and handy when I inevitably sell them off. When I buy surplus Glocks or Berettas I generally order a factory case manuals and accessories to complete them. I believe CZ also sells cases from time to time w foam.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I take a gun out of the box and it goes straight into the trash. Same for those silly plastic cases power tools come in. Take up too much space and are pretty much useless.

Guns sell quick regardless of a box or case. I don't put any value in a plastic case or a box. Some people oddly do. I have sold guns with boxes for a bit higher since it was as new in box. I wont pay for a box to go in the trash. Then again I am a shooter not a collector.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I take a gun out of the box and it goes straight into the trash. Same for those silly plastic cases power tools come in. Take up too much space and are pretty much useless.

I throw away the cardboard boxes my guns and accessories come in. My home isn't a warehouse.

I do keep most of my tools in the plastic cases they came in, though (the ones I don't use often). It keeps them protected with their accessories/spare bits or blades all in one place.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Always keep the boxes and paperwork. If you ever decide to sell, you will want those items, and usually command a better price.

Cardboard boxes may seem like junk and a waste of space when gun is fairly new. Keep it long enough, that becomes a different story. Buyers like the original boxes, even the cheap cardboard ones. Learned the hard way on this on some nice pistols. Cold Gold Cup, Double Eagle, Anaconda, Python. All nice pieces, would have been able to get a little more with those cheap old boxes.

Bravo619

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2017
    Tulsa
    Boxes take up space, and paperwork gets lost in the shuffle. You put the gun in your safe/case/whatever and now have this box you need to put somewhere. Multiply that by however many guns you have and that's a lot of 'wasted' space.

That stuff doesn’t get misplaced or lost or no room for it around my house! Of course I don’t have to worry about getting anything here cause everybody but one person I’ve bought from and one that said he would is too big of a wuss to ship outta state to my very Individual friendly FFL! Doesn’t bother me to ship to you so why be a lazya$$?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I keep everything the gun comes with. If something gets upgraded, the original parts go into the boxes. Easiest way for me to keep everything together. The boxes are stacked up in my closet and so far haven't been too much of an issue. Of course, between the wife and I, we only have a couple dozen guns, so our collection isn't as vast as many on this forum.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    What paperwork? I keep the manual and stuff in the box. I have my receipts but have never shared those with anyone else and have no intention to.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Don't care about cardboard, I wouldn't pay you an extra dime for it wrapped around a gun. If you think it's worth more it's your money.

fnpfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Larwill
    I throw away any cardboard boxes, I will keep a hard case. I'm not sure why Smith & Wesson sells pistols in cardboard, you would think they could give you a decent case.

Top Bottom