Throwing away factory boxes and paperwork? Why?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • busted1200

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Evansville
    This isn’t a set rule though. It’s very product dependent. If you buying items that have the potential to be collectible, then yes the box matters. But the everyday items? Not so much.

You never know. Who would have guessed that a Gen 1 Glock tuppware box would be worth so much?

f5e661ca5b2ebbd07908483047b50453.jpg

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    You never know. Who would have guessed that a Gen 1 Glock tuppware box would be worth so much?

f5e661ca5b2ebbd07908483047b50453.jpg

Knowing what I typically buy, I’m quite confident of pitching the cardboard boxes. I have 3 pistols that could be collectible (funny enough they didn’t come in cheap cardboard), everything else is run of the mill 22s. Box or not, I’d be lucky to recoup more than 70% of my cost on any of them.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I shoot my guns, a lot. My guns are all users, intended to be kept. Thus the paper boxes and paperwork wont add anything to the value. I keep the plastic boxes because they are durable and might serve as a transport to the range, if necessary.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I shoot my guns, a lot. My gun are all users, intended to be kept. Thus the paper boxes and paperwork wont add anything to the value. I keep the plastic boxes because they are durable and might serve as a transport to the range, if necessary.

This thread has motivated me to clear out some of the containers etc that the guns came in. Keeping all the handgun cases that are still viable. The rest are dumpster bound. Space is at a premium.

Jeffforpresident

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   1
    Nov 12, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Before you guys throw all those boxes away you might want to put them up on eBay, you might be surprised what Someone will pay for an original box. Not gonna get you thousands, but you could probably sell each box for 10 bucks or so.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I normally hold on to packaging for any sort of high dollar purchase (other than really big stuff) for a year. Just in case a return for warranty is needed.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Does anyone do anything like go out of their way to dispose of gun or ammo boxes discreetly?

As I mentioned up thread, I live in an apartment complex and we have a compactor for household and kitchen trash, an open top dumpster for bigger stuff and a dedicated recycling dumpster for glass, cans, paper or card board.

If I break down a case of ammo for storage into ammo cans, I will flatten the empty chip cartons and mix them in with shredded paper and/or other cardboard like ceral boxes. All of that goes into brown paper grocery bags. Then the whole bag gets stapled shut and goes into the dumpster for recycling.

Last thing I want is for some busy-body neighbor, or random people I don't know, to see me dumping 50 empty ammo boxes or a rifle box. They may either (wrongly) think I'm up to no good, or worse, consider me a prime target for a break-in.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ^^^^ That's smart! ^^^

I'm fortunate enough to live rural. I can "recycle" my hazmat, bullet, reloading equipment etc. boxes in the burn pile, along with gun related junk mail showing my address.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    ....you aren’t to 50 posts. You aren’t buying anything :laugh:

And if you bought from trusted members on here, you wouldn’t have to worry about such nonsense.....makes the 50 post rule pretty nice. Serves as a deterrent to people who don’t have the best intentions.....they normally will just take the easy route and stick to armslist.

If I buy a gun without a box I assume it's almost defenently stolen. Always good to have a throw away gun that you purchased from cabelas at 100 bucks over what it should actually cost.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Does anyone do anything like go out of their way to dispose of gun or ammo boxes discreetly?

As I mentioned up thread, I live in an apartment complex and we have a compactor for household and kitchen trash, an open top dumpster for bigger stuff and a dedicated recycling dumpster for glass, cans, paper or card board.

If I break down a case of ammo for storage into ammo cans, I will flatten the empty chip cartons and mix them in with shredded paper and/or other cardboard like ceral boxes. All of that goes into brown paper grocery bags. Then the whole bag gets stapled shut and goes into the dumpster for recycling.

Last thing I want is for some busy-body neighbor, or random people I don't know, to see me dumping 50 empty ammo boxes or a rifle box. They may either (wrongly) think I'm up to no good, or worse, consider me a prime target for a break-in.

or so the wife doesn't realize there is a new one.... I mean uh...

Nearly every town has a community recycle area, that is where I pitch mine. A long gun box takes up way too much room in the roller bin that only gets picked up every other week.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I normally hold on to packaging for any sort of high dollar purchase (other than really big stuff) for a year. Just in case a return for warranty is needed.

And this is my policy. If I still like the gun after a year, it will most likely be with me for a long, long time. So the cardboard boxes go, the plastic cases stay. I do keep any/all paperwork sans receipt which remains private.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I don't by guns to collect, I buy them to shoot. I'm not counting on (nor should anyone) retiring on the value of my gun safe.
    That, and the internet has made everything that comes in the box that isn't an accessory obsolete.
    FYI - people can steal gun boxes and manuals too...

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I don't by guns to collect, I buy them to shoot....

Yeah....I like to accumulate so this sums up my gun purchases pretty well....

shiny.jpg

There are two types of firearms...."Tools" and "Cools".....I accumulate both and love them equally....I have an un issued K 98 late war Mauser.....I can't bring myself to shoot it.....To get through the bloodiest conflict known to man and remain un fired (by all who have looked at it) is something I can't do....

I owe that to the future generations....

sethr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2017
    Putnam County
    My LGS says they pay more if all the original stuff is there.
    Actually, i think it only brings you up towards the upper end of whatever the book says, and those spreads aren't that big to begin with.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I trash all my boxes. But the wife and I are pretty minimalist anyway.

Regarding potential value down the road: if someone asked me to store their 5' long box for 15 years in exchange for $200 at the end, I'd say no thanks. So in the trash they go.

Top Bottom