Throwing away factory boxes and paperwork? Why?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • busted1200

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Evansville
    If I kept every box, shipping container etc, then there would be evidence of numbers.

:scratch: Bottom line is factory boxes be it cardboard or plastic along with the manual and any other type of FACTORY paperwork ( warranty cards/advertising ) etc... Increases resell value. I realize space can be a problem with some if you live in a apartment/condo and some just don't care. I just hate seeing a gun 10-15 years later that's orphaned from its factory stuff. Good example here on the For sale board. There's a Taurus Raging Hornet, guy has box and manual. He'll probably get $1,000 for it, without that stuff subtract at least $100 if not a little more. Now that was probably a $600-$650 gun when new. If your not a collector and don't care then more power to you.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    :scratch: Bottom line is factory boxes be it cardboard or plastic along with the manual and any other type of FACTORY paperwork ( warranty cards/advertising ) etc... Increases asking price. I realize space can be a problem with some if you live in a apartment/condo and some just don't care. I just hate seeing a gun 10-15 years later that's orphaned from its factory stuff.
    FIFY.

Good example here on the For sale board. There's a Taurus Raging Hornet, guy has box and manual. He'll probably get $1,000 for it, without that stuff subtract at least $100 if not a little more. Now that was probably a $600-$650 gun when new. If your not a collector and don't care then more power to you.
    You mean the one with the cut and paste text listed by the non-contributing member who's only here to buy and sell guns?

Forgive me for the ignorance, but what makes his Raging Hornet worth anymore than others I see listed for under $800?

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Because I'm not a pack rat. I'm definitely not keeping all of those boxes for everything from all of my hobbies. I'd need a room just for boxes.

None of my firearms are collectible. So who cares.

I also park INSIDE my garage.....unlike those people I see with boxes stacked in their garages.....one of the benefits of not being a pack rat.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I only have a single car garage, so the riding mower, push mower, tiller, snowblower.... take it. Boxes go to the basement. We don't use it for anything but storage.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Because I'm not a pack rat. I'm definitely not keeping all of those boxes for everything from all of my hobbies. I'd need a room just for boxes.

None of my firearms are collectible. So who cares.

I also park INSIDE my garage.....unlike those people I see with boxes stacked in their garages.....one of the benefits of not being a pack rat.

I park inside my garage too. But I have a helluva time getting to things that are on the shelves on the walls, or to my work bench, or to anything that is mine really. DoggyMama likes garage sales and clearance shopping so... :):

But as to the subject of this thread, as indiucky said, most of the guns I have/collect are old. If they had boxes, they probably rotted away long ago. I will keep a hard case if a pistol comes with one though.

busted1200

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Evansville
    quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by busted1200
    :scratch: Bottom line is factory boxes be it cardboard or plastic along with the manual and any other type of FACTORY paperwork ( warranty cards/advertising ) etc... Increases asking price. I realize space can be a problem with some if you live in a apartment/condo and some just don't care. I just hate seeing a gun 10-15 years later that's orphaned from its factory stuff.
    FIFY.

quote_icon.png
    Good example here on the For sale board. There's a Taurus Raging Hornet, guy has box and manual. He'll probably get $1,000 for it, without that stuff subtract at least $100 if not a little more. Now that was probably a $600-$650 gun when new. If your not a collector and don't care then more power to you.

You mean the one with the cut and paste text listed by the non-contributing member who's only here to buy and sell guns?

Forgive me for the ignorance, but what makes his Raging Hornet worth anymore than others I see listed for under $800?

Forgive my ignorance, but what does FIFY mean?

As for his Hornet, there are currently 2 on GB, one with $750 and one at $755 bids with several days left. Lets see where those finish. As with everything it's condition, condition, condition. I again say factory boxes and paperwork add value. I don't care how many posts he has, I've been a member for awhile, but was holding down several jobs and didn't have time to read and post. Now I'm retired I have a little more time. I could care less how many posts someone has. and grateful for this forum which allows me to possibly find something that I want to buy and can pick up locally with having to go through FFL and shipping costs.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    quote_icon.png
    FIFY.

quote_icon.png

As for his Hornet, there are currently 2 on GB, one with $750 and one at $755 bids with several days left. Lets see where those finish. As with everything it's condition, condition, condition. I again say factory boxes and paperwork add value. I don't care how many posts he has, I've been a member for awhile, but was holding down several jobs and didn't have time to read and post. Now I'm retired I have a little more time. I could care less how many posts someone has. and grateful for this forum which allows me to possibly find something that I want to buy and can pick up locally with having to go through FFL and shipping costs.

FIFY = Fixed It For Ya ;)

Oh, and a search of the completed auctions for Raging Hornets show that they're selling from $970 - $1300. :faint:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Fixed It For You.

Common on forums to correct mistakes the quotee made or, in this case, a clever way to change a quote to make a different mean that fit's the quoter's viewpoint.

I don't care how many posts he has, I've been a member for awhile, but was holding down several jobs and didn't have time to read and post. Now I'm retired I have a little more time. I could care less how many posts someone has. and grateful for this forum which allows me to possibly find something that I want to buy and can pick up locally with having to go through FFL and shipping costs.

I don't mean to be rude, but a lot of us look at someone with only 50-60 posts* and a **** ton of WTS as carpetbagger, so to speak. The seller in question hasn't had a non-classified post in eight years. We prefer to do business with active members, and that means more to us than a cardboard box and folded paper telling us not to point a gun at people in four languages.

Of course, my opinion is largely based on buying a lot of milsurp guns that never had a box or manual or "working" guns that I bought with knowledge they were going to get modified, dinged or holster wear.

EDIT: Let's agree on this: having the box and manual when you sell does not decrease the price. :D

Oh, and since you wrote, "I could care less", I'm obligated as a member of the Grammar Police to present this little PSA. ;)
    [video=youtube_share;om7O0MFkmpw]http://youtu.be/om7O0MFkmpw[/video]

* 100+ post? GTG.

Last edited:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    FIFY = Fixed It For Ya ;)

Oh, and a search of the completed auctions for Raging Hornets show that they're selling from $970 - $1300. :faint:

That's hilarious.....I went to get Jetta some proof and I was literally ready to throw up....

"Hmmmm....I've got $1200 to spend...What should I get...Nice Garand, Colt SAA, clean Model 29 Smith and Wesson in the presentation case or....HOLY SMOKES!!!! A Taurus Raging Hornet with the rare yellow rubber grip insert!!!! I can't believe I found one....No brainer there...That Taurus must be at least five years old...AND it's got a lifetime warranty......"

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

busted1200

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Evansville
    Fixed It For You.

Common on forums to correct mistakes the quotee made or, in this case, a clever way to change a quote to make a different mean that fit's the quoter's viewpoint.

I don't mean to be rude, but a lot of us look at someone with only 50-60 posts* and a **** ton of WTS as carpetbagger, so to speak. The seller in question hasn't had a non-classified post in eight years. We prefer to do business with active members, and that means more to us than a cardboard box and folded paper telling us not to point a gun at people in four languages.

Of course, my opinion is largely based on buying a lot of milsurp guns that never had a box or manual or "working" guns that I bought with knowledge they were going to get modified, dinged or holster wear.

EDIT: Let's agree on this: having the box and manual when you sell does not decrease the price. :D

Oh, and since you wrote, "I could care less", I'm obligated as a member of the Grammar Police to present this little PSA. ;)

* 100+ post? GTG.

Touche' well played sir

busted1200

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Evansville
    For a Taurus?!

And since the seller doesn't bother posting, we'll never know the actual sale price. :stickpoke:

Yeah I know it's crazy. Check out what a Taurus Raging .218 Bee is going for if you can find one. They made those crazy calibers for only a year or two back in the early mid 2000's. There's one in 480 Ruger that numb nuts crazy too. Must be a handloader thing or someone weird like me that might possibly buy one. To each their own I guess.

joncon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    Bartholomew County
    If I buy a gun with box, paperwork, etc. I keep the boxes, usually up in the attic. In case I sell at a later date. But for myself, I wouldn't pay a premium for a gun with the box unless it was a collector type firearm.

Jeffforpresident

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   1
    Nov 12, 2016
    Indianapolis
    If I buy a gun without a box I assume it's almost defenently stolen. Always good to have a throw away gun that you purchased from cabelas at 100 bucks over what it should actually cost.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    :scratch: Bottom line is factory boxes be it cardboard or plastic along with the manual and any other type of FACTORY paperwork ( warranty cards/advertising ) etc... Increases resell value. I realize space can be a problem with some if you live in a apartment/condo and some just don't care. I just hate seeing a gun 10-15 years later that's orphaned from its factory stuff. Good example here on the For sale board. There's a Taurus Raging Hornet, guy has box and manual. He'll probably get $1,000 for it, without that stuff subtract at least $100 if not a little more. Now that was probably a $600-$650 gun when new. If your not a collector and don't care then more power to you.

This isn’t a set rule though. It’s very product dependent. If you buying items that have the potential to be collectible, then yes the box matters. But the everyday items? Not so much.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    ( ?? Asking a Question here)

Don't the Box make the Old Smith and Wesson ,Colts and Winchesters Bring more ?

Absolutely they do. I noticed no one else bothered to answer this.
    My wife and I are fortunate (read we worked our butts off) we have a nice two story 4 bedroom home that we built in 2003, we have large walk in closets in every bedroom.
    We are now "empty nesters", I have always kept boxes, it is something my Father taught me years ago when I was a kid. Yes we have plenty of room.
    But even with a full house, I have an attic that all long gun boxes go in, yes even the cheap card board ones.
    An example of a modern firearm that may hit the collectible list are Arsenal AK's ( I have 3, 2 have the boxes and manuals) 20 years down the road if and when I sell them, those boxes will add value, and yes they are cheap card board.

I actually started trading with my friends at an early age, that taught me a lot too. Coins, AFX cars, trading cards, and eventually guns and accessories.

My advice is to always keep the box if you have room for it, none of us have a crystal ball. You may get lucky one day and realize a gun that was once thought of as "run of the mill", or they will make these forever, is suddenly collectible.
    I am both a shooter and collector, yes you can be both.

Top Bottom