• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Notavictim646

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    Undisclosed
    Given the opportunity, I think I would have asked to speak to his supervisor (in person). If the supervisor responded as the OP stated he did on the cell phone, I would have asked for HIS supervisor, and then HIS supervisor until I finally got to someone in the officers food chain that was smart enough to address the issue properly.
    I look forward to hearing what kind of response you get from whatever action you take. Got any witnesses?

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    If any Indiana LEO comes at me with a claim that they can arrest me for not concealing, I'll simply calmly put down whatever I'm doing, put my wrists together, and offer them up to the officer with the words, "Then arrest me, if you have the courage of your convictions."

Nice :yesway:

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Without reading the entire thread I suggest you go back through and make your letter as short and crisp as possible. Long letters with a lot of excess descriptive wording is harder to read. How about something like:

Dear Chief.......:

My name is Travis...... and I have a valid LTCH. While openly carrying a hand gun at ......I was approached by FWPD officer ....... and told that openly carrying it was illegal. He further had me talk to Sergeant ..... who also stated that it was illegal. While I remained calm and respectful I felt that officer....... was not.

Please be aware that IC does not specify that a handgun must be covered. Your officer and sergeant are both uninformed. I am concerned that they and other officers who do not know the law in this area may endanger the public and cause your department and city to incur serious liability. Please take all necessary steps to bring your officers up to date in this important matter.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not "uninformed". That implies that no one ever told them anything about the law regarding firearm carry in Indiana. The phrase you were looking for is "ill informed". Someone actively gave these law enforcement officials patently incorrect information.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    what "damages" would you sue for?

IC 35-47-11.1-5
    Civil actions concerning political subdivision violations
    Sec. 5. A person adversely affected by an ordinance, a measure, an enactment, a rule, or a policy adopted or enforced by a political subdivision that violates this chapter may file an action in a court with competent jurisdiction against the political subdivision for:
    (1) declarative and injunctive relief; and
    (2) actual and consequential damages attributable to the violation.
    As added by P.L.152-2011, SEC.4.

IC 35-47-11.1-6
    Civil actions; adversely affected persons
    Sec. 6. A person is "adversely affected" for purposes of section 5 of this chapter if either of the following applies:
    (1) The person is an individual who meets all of the following
    requirements:
    (A) The individual lawfully resides within the United States.
    (B) The individual may legally possess a firearm under the laws of Indiana.
    (C) The individual is or was subject to the ordinance, measure, enactment, rule, or policy of the political subdivision that is the subject of an action filed under section 5 of this chapter. An individual is or was subject to the ordinance, measure, enactment, rule, or policy of the political subdivision if the individual is or was physically present within the boundaries of the political subdivision for any reason.
    (2) The person is a membership organization that:
    (A) includes two (2) or more individuals described in subdivision (1); and
    (B) is dedicated in whole or in part to protecting the rights of persons who possess, own, or use firearms for competitive, sporting, defensive, or other lawful purposes.

IC 35-47-11.1-7
    Civil actions; recovery of damages, costs, and fees
    Sec. 7. A prevailing plaintiff in an action under section 5 of this chapter is entitled to recover from the political subdivision the following:
    (1) The greater of the following:
    (A) Actual damages, including consequential damages.
    (B) Liquidated damages of three (3) times the plaintiff's attorney's fees.
    (2) Court costs (including fees).
    (3) Reasonable attorney's fees.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Not "uninformed". That implies that no one ever told them anything about the law regarding firearm carry in Indiana. The phrase you were looking for is "ill informed". Someone actively gave these law enforcement officials patently incorrect information.

The question being who gave the incorrect information and why? I am curious how many officers believe open carry is illegal in Indiana.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    ...and he showed me his ID (being that he was not in uniform). He then asked me to step outside to further discuss the matter.

So he was on duty or not?

I wouldn't go anywhere... hes welcome to call his superior for backup (at that time I'd hope someone would b***h slap him with the ACTUAL law).

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    For those who're asking "What damages can he sue for," I humbly submit that you take a look at IC 35-47-11.1-3, -5, -6, and -7. Section 7 specifically spells out damages. The actions of the officer are covered under section 3 as 1) he's an agent of a political subdivision and B) he's making up a rule that he's getting support from his sergeant about.

And to answer the question specifically, three times attorney's fees.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    For those who're asking "What damages can he sue for," I humbly submit that you take a look at IC 35-47-11.1-3, -5, -6, and -7. Section 7 specifically spells out damages. The actions of the officer are covered under section 3 as 1) he's an agent of a political subdivision and B) he's making up a rule that he's getting support from his sergeant about.

And to answer the question specifically, three times attorney's fees.

Or you can just look toward my post on the previous page.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I know a lot of squared away cops in FW. This issue has come up many times in the past on the FWPD's own web forum. Here is one response from officer Joyner.

mjoyner
    Forum Moderator

There is no requirement to keep a firearm concealed when on your person; however who would want to carry it unconcealed. We have had many past discussions concerning this question. You might enjoy going back to review them.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    The officer called it a permit.

What's your point? The officer also told you OC is illegal, but that doesn't mean he was right.

If you are going to write a letter, you might as well know what you are talking about.:twocents:

You asked for input, so I proofread it for you. I only read it once and probably missed a few errors, but it was a start.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    That is a different cup of tea.
    A "let's go to Fort Wayne and open carry" day could be fun.

Personal pain is a wonderful motivator. If (and this is an important if) the city blows off the complaint then giving someone pain is going to be the right motivator for both the offender and others who wish to avoid similar pain to not take the steps to bring it on.

Have an open carry event and label it the "Officer _________ Ft. Wayne Open Carry Picnic (or March, or whatever). Use the original officer, or his sergeant, whichever you want to publicly embarrass the most.

The media needs to know about it in advance, and just why you are honoring the officer. A banner, signs and other paraphernalia should be prominently displayed. Hand flyers out to people. Keep to the right side of the line so that you don't cross over into slander and you'll be fine. There is no right to not be embarrassed or mocked in public, especially for a government official.

And it will cause a lot of pain. Something like a paddling. You don't actually enjoy spanking your kid and causing him to cry, but you know in the long run he'll be better for the experience.

Once the average FW police officer figures out that his name can be in the paper for committing the same level of boneheadness and willful misbehavior then it won't take long for them to go into pain-avoidance mode around open carriers.

These steps will get you far more than just a generic open carry day.

Top Bottom