• ...and so much more!
  • cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I am NOT a TS fan. I didn't see anything TS did to intentionally harm the kid. I watched the video at least a dozen times trying to find anything I could.
    Crappy outcome not to be forgotten. EVER!
    Prayers for the kid and family. Prayers for TS as well. He'll have to live with this forever.

Agreed. As Chef in Apocalypse Now says, never get out of the boat...

moosebag

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I'm a huge Stewart fan, and I'll admit what it looked like to me.
    looks like Tony revved the engine, and spun his tires to INTENTIONALLY kick the rear end of his car towards the other driver.
    obviously he didn't want to hurt or kill the kid, but it definitely looks like he tried to scare him or at least kick some dirt up at him.

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Smoke has withdrawn from today's race.

From a mortorsport article: "Indeed, Stewart may have hit the gas, but you steer sprint cars with the throttle for more than the steering wheel. The idea that he accelerated trying to hit Ward is beyond the pale."

Read: Yes, Tony Stewart did run over a fellow driver, who was killed. But know the whole story.

That site says it's undergoing maintenance, so I couldn't read it, but on NASCAR's site they're saying "business as usual".

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    The fact is, Tony Stewart, with his car, killed Kevin Ward, Jr. Period, end of story.

Whether or not Stewart meant to injure Ward is another matter, and the topic of debate in the thread.

Don't follow NASCAR, midgets, or other such types of racing, no have no opinion of Tony Stewart or Kevin Ward, Jr. and have no knowledge of any previous Stewart 'issues' or 'reputation' as either a hot-head or laid back guy.

Ward should have stayed in his car, but based just on posts in this thread, it's apparent that getting out (other than a fire) isn't uncommon, either.

However, that still does not exonerate Stewart and Stewart isn't 'off the hook'. While Stewart may or may not have gunned the car at the moment of impact (IMO, it appears / sounds like Stewart did, a moment before impact), that's irrelevant. Stewart also did not slow down, brake, or maneuver to avoid Ward, either.

Repeatedly watching the few seconds of video immediately before and immediately after the impact, it may be that Stewart was 'just trying to throw a bit of dirt' on Ward. IF that's true, it would be Stewart rather than Ward who is guilty of 'play stupid games, win stupid prizes' and Stewart is STILL guilty, perhaps involuntary rather than voluntary manslaughter.

It would then be Stewart trying to 'scare' Ward, or 'teach Ward a little lesson', and that error in judgment turned into Ward being killed. Which makes hitting Ward intentional, whether or not (likely not) killing Ward was intentional.

This would be like an INGO member taking 'pot shots' at a guy 'to scare him a little and teach him a lesson', and poor aim on the part of INGO member resulted in the guy being shot and killed. The INGO member could not then claim 'accident', nor could the INGO member claim 'justification' or 'self-defense' in the death.

Stewart will certainly face a wrongful death suit, and may face criminal prosecution. Either way, Stewart directly contributed to killing Ward, which doesn't even seem to be in dispute here with Stewart fans.

Further, IF Stewart has something of a history of being a hot-head, it's even more likely he'll face a criminal charge. A 'violence prone guy who finally went too far' and it 'finally caught up with him'.

In either case, Stewart is likely done in the racing biz, and probably should be.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Sad. I don't think anyone had any intention of hurting anyone in this. That goes for Ward and Stewart both. This was a simple racing incident that triggered a series of very unfortunate events. Life can be beautiful and cruel, but it should remind all of us that it is fragile. Much more than our own heads perceive it to be.

My prayers are up for all involved. I've got friends that know Tony Stewart and say he's a great guy. I'm sure Ward was a great guy, too, trying to fulfill his dreams. I love race drivers and enjoy watching them and talking to them. They enjoy each other. Even the ones that can't stand each other would never want this outcome.

At the end of the day, these two guys have much more in common than they'd ever have in differences. I'd suspect that if this hadn't happened, they would have later, when the cameras were off, patted each other on the back and ultimately chalked it up to racing.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I didn't see any willfulness on Tony's part to go after this guy. Looks like he tried to get in front of Tony's car. But I do believe this will have a ill effect on the rest of Tont's life. Just like when Boom Boom Mancini killed the Korean fighter. Wasn't really his fault. But he was never the same fighter again. I believe Tony will have the same outcome. Now whenever you hear Tony Stewarts name, this is what we'll all think of.

I agree. Du Ku Kim. That was the other boxers name, though I may have screwed up the spelling.
    I watched that fight live, while I was tending bar.
    The hit that killed Kim looked to me to be no more lethal than any other punch landed in any boxing match I'd ever seen.

I've seen pictures of Jerry Quarry's jaw laying 6" or so off-line from his skull.

I didn't see anything that looked like this incident should be ruled intentional, and Ward DID make a HUGE mistake by exiting his vehicle. I'd go so far to say that you might as well rule this a suicide. Any adult should know better than to step in front of a vehicle moving 100+ mph.

Authorities are saying this is NOT being investigated as a criminal offense, but rather a tragic accident.

My guess is Tony Stewart will be found NOT responsible for Wards death.
    Whether he ever drives again will be up to him. There WILL be sponsors willing to "take a chance" on him.

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    I'm a huge Stewart fan, and I'll admit what it looked like to me.
    looks like Tony revved the engine, and spun his tires to INTENTIONALLY kick the rear end of his car towards the other driver.
    obviously he didn't want to hurt or kill the kid, but it definitely looks like he tried to scare him or at least kick some dirt up at him.

This was my take on it as well. If this was truly the case then he should be in real trouble.

If he were not a celebrity it would be manslaughter for sure. No the kid should not have been there and, yes it was an accident. However that does not excuse the fact that gunning the engine to scare him (if that is what is proven to be the case) is an intentional act with unintentional results.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The fact is, Tony Stewart, with his car, killed Kevin Ward, Jr. Period, end of story.

Whether or not Stewart meant to injure Ward is another matter, and the topic of debate in the thread.

Don't follow NASCAR, midgets, or other such types of racing, no have no opinion of Tony Stewart or Kevin Ward, Jr. and have no knowledge of any previous Stewart 'issues' or 'reputation' as either a hot-head or laid back guy.

Ward should have stayed in his car, but based just on posts in this thread, it's apparent that getting out (other than a fire) isn't uncommon, either.

However, that still does not exonerate Stewart and Stewart isn't 'off the hook'. While Stewart may or may not have gunned the car at the moment of impact (IMO, it appears / sounds like Stewart did, a moment before impact), that's irrelevant. Stewart also did not slow down, brake, or maneuver to avoid Ward, either.

Repeatedly watching the few seconds of video immediately before and immediately after the impact, it may be that Stewart was 'just trying to throw a bit of dirt' on Ward. IF that's true, it would be Stewart rather than Ward who is guilty of 'play stupid games, win stupid prizes' and Stewart is STILL guilty, perhaps involuntary rather than voluntary manslaughter.

It would then be Stewart trying to 'scare' Ward, or 'teach Ward a little lesson', and that error in judgment turned into Ward being killed. Which makes hitting Ward intentional, whether or not (likely not) killing Ward was intentional.

This would be like an INGO member taking 'pot shots' at a guy 'to scare him a little and teach him a lesson', and poor aim on the part of INGO member resulted in the guy being shot and killed. The INGO member could not then claim 'accident', nor could the INGO member claim 'justification' or 'self-defense' in the death.

Stewart will certainly face a wrongful death suit, and may face criminal prosecution. Either way, Stewart directly contributed to killing Ward, which doesn't even seem to be in dispute here with Stewart fans.

Further, IF Stewart has something of a history of being a hot-head, it's even more likely he'll face a criminal charge. A 'violence prone guy who finally went too far' and it 'finally caught up with him'.

In either case, Stewart is likely done in the racing biz, and probably should be.

(1)...have you ever driven a sprinter or any race car???

(2)...That you see any malice in Stewart's actions is a bit off. Watch the video, listen to the throttle and watch the car.

(3)...We would expect a driver to have enough sense not to get that close. Even in NASCAR it is not often they try and get in the window.

(4)...Again, if I run into traffic onthe interstate and get flattened will any one be charged.....Seriously.

Any one that gets into a Sprinter knows they are about to do Battle. It is a Gladiator sport. No one is supposed to die. This is beyond tragic as it could have been avoided definitely by not running out into the racing line and possibly by Stewart.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville

Some really don't understand what happens during a caution. Whether or not Stewart did something stupid, he was NOT traveling any faster than normal on a caution and was WAAYY off full throttle.

I'm just saying some appear not to understand the basics of how things work in racing during a caution. That guy wouldn't, even in a rage, have gone anywhere near those cars if they were traveling at full speed. At least I've never seen it. (Maybe someone has been dumb enough to do that, but the danger is obvious.)

Anyone can take a stand either way on what Stewart was doing, but the truth is we don't know, and might not ever get a chance to really know. You can't get inside his head. He very well could have done what you describe, but he also very well could have been startled by him and did not see him until the last split second. I don't know. Past behavior by either driver can only provide an indication, but it is proof of nothing.

Just a really sad and tragic deal. Racing needs to take a serious look at rules for conduct after an accident. This shouldn't have even gotten to this point. Drivers who exit their cars need to get to safety, immediately. Immediately. They should also reexamine caution speeds and procedures for the cars still running.

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    If he were not a celebrity it would be manslaughter for sure. No the kid should not have been there and, yes it was an accident. However that does not excuse the fact that gunning the engine to scare him (if that is what is proven to be the case) is an intentional act with unintentional results.

If he were not a celebrity you would not even know the incident happened and it would have just been a tragic Saturday night at the race track.

Top Bottom