• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    I don't care what you do in life, whether your a race car driver, steel mill worker, or a cop. There are things that you do to help get you thru the day alive. As a former steel mill worker I wear the proper safety gear. I don't walk under a full ladle. As a cop you wear the proper gear, you have standard procedure you follow to make your odds a little better for you going home that night. And as a race car driver I'm sure your taught what to do in case your involved in a accident. CM can correct me if I'm wrong, but climbing out of the car and running into traffic is not the way to put the odds in your favor! This is what happens when you don't follow procedures. TS was where he should of been, in his car going round and round! You make decisions everyday, some are good ones, some are bad ones. And some decisions get you killed. But they're your decisions, own them!!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Some really don't understand what happens during a caution. Whether or not Stewart did something stupid, he was NOT traveling any faster than normal on a caution and was WAAYY off full throttle.

I'm just saying some appear not to understand the basics of how things work in racing during a caution. That guy wouldn't, even in a rage, have gone anywhere near those cars if they were traveling at full speed. At least I've never seen it. (Maybe someone has been dumb enough to do that, but the danger is obvious.)

Anyone can take a stand either way on what Stewart was doing, but the truth is we don't know, and might not ever get a chance to really know. You can't get inside his head. He very well could have done what you describe, but he also very well could have been startled by him and did not see him until the last split second. I don't know. Past behavior by either driver can only provide an indication, but it is proof of nothing.

Just a really sad and tragic deal. Racing needs to take a serious look at rules for conduct after an accident. This shouldn't have even gotten to this point. Drivers who exit their cars need to get to safety, immediately. Immediately. They should also reexamine caution speeds and procedures for the cars still running.

Ads to speeds under caution...these monsters will only lope along to a point before they just die. You have to keep the fuel and oil pressures up. They idle way higher than a street car.

I have known TS for a long time. I do not see him often since he moved away. Spent many a night before the Brickyard Riding with him. He is anything but a bad person. Yes, he is excitable. Climb into a 1500 Lb. car with over 850 HP and see what that does to your temperament. It turned me into the incredible hulk when I did it.
    Hell, running a Midget will set your hair straight up.

We have no idea how hard those 2 were racing each other up to that point but it was a clean pass by Stewart and Ward drove it in way hard and lost it in the marbles up top.

After watching this more times than I can count (past 10 is a challenge for me) and knowing how those cars work I see no malice from TS. Knowing him aside, I think this all could have been avoided if he would have sat tight.

Again, JMHO

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Ward should have stayed in his car, but based just on posts in this thread, it's apparent that getting out (other than a fire) isn't uncommon, either......

Getting out of the car ISN'T uncommon......... running into traffic on the track afterward is.

.............Stewart also did not slow down, brake, or maneuver to avoid Ward, either......

You can't really tell that at all from the video but ALL of those cars are hauling ass even under yellow... it takes time to move your line.....
    If someone is in a certain part of the track and you are moving to avoid them and then they dart toward your car again at the last second you
    are not going to have time to correct your line before the two points intersect. I wouldn't call a sprint car on a slick dirt track nimble.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Ads to speeds under caution...these monsters will only lope along to a point before they just die. You have to keep the fuel and oil pressures up. They idle way higher than a street car.

I have known TS for a long time. I do not see him often since he moved away. Spent many a night before the Brickyard Riding with him. He is anything but a bad person. Yes, he is excitable. Climb into a 1500 Lb. car with over 850 HP and see what that does to your temperament. It turned me into the incredible hulk when I did it.
    Hell, running a Midget will set your hair straight up.

We have no idea how hard those 2 were racing each other up to that point but it was a clean pass by Stewart and Ward drove it in way hard and lost it in the marbles up top.

After watching this more times than I can count (past 10 is a challenge for me) and knowing how those cars work I see no malice from TS. Knowing him aside, I think this all could have been avoided if he would have sat tight.

Again, JMHO

Those sprint cars also blip the throttle frequently under caution. At low rpm, the mechanical injection can load up and cause stumbling if you don't clear them. I'm not saying that's what Stew was doing, but it is certainly possible and normal.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Please watch the video. Tony was straight and true until the contact was made. Then his car kicked right as it ran over the guy.

He should not have been in the racing groove. He made every effort to get at Tony running through traffic.

Watch the wreck. Guy ran outside Tony trying to get by on the high side and was short on motor but never backed out.

I think you are a bit quick on the condemn button my friend.

I watched the video, seems to me like he showboated right by the guy. Why did every other car pass with plenty of room and Stewart was super close and then it spins wildly. Seems like He did something stupid to taunt a driver and it lead to someone dying.

i don't like coincidences in general. Why of all people was it Stewart's car that went crazy? No, the guy shouldn't have walked near the cars, but no one else hit him.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I watched the video, seems to me like he showboated right by the guy. Why did every other car pass with plenty of room and Stewart was super close and then it spins wildly? Come on... He did something stupid to taunt a driver and it lead to someone dying.

Watch again.... he moves farther down the track as soon as the other cars pass and get in line for the confrontation.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Watch again.... he moves farther down the track as soon as the other cars pass and get in line for the confrontation.

I did, the blue car was lower on the track compared to where Stewart came through, and it looked like the guy was jumping backward when he got hit. We really need another angle.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I watched the video, seems to me like he showboated right by the guy. Why did every other car pass with plenty of room and Stewart was super close and then it spins wildly. Seems like He did something stupid to taunt a driver and it lead to someone dying.

i don't like coincidences in general. Why of all people was it Stewart's car that went crazy? No, the guy shouldn't have walked near the cars, but no one else hit him.

Ward wasn't going after the other cars. He was going after Stewart's, so of course he was "super close". Nothing coincidental about that. Perhaps both drivers are somewhat to blame for what happened, but one thing I can guarantee is that neither wanted nor intended the outcome.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Ward wasn't going after the other cars. He was going after Stewart's, so of course he was "super close". Nothing coincidental about that. Perhaps both drivers are somewhat to blame for what happened, but one thing I can guarantee is that neither wanted nor intended the outcome.

exactly. I don't think homicide was the plan, but reckless homicide is on the table until there's more information IMO. Stewart's car was much higher than the blue one on the track according to me eyes. Wonder why.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Monday morning quarter-backing.

I'm not a big race fan, nor a big Tony Stewart fan, but from the video in the OP, Stewart did nothing wrong, except for those who'd want to dissect every part of sight and sound to try to find something that really isn't there. The driver got out of his car and was hit by another car, and there is no evidence that it was anything but a tragic accident.

If you were shooting your pistol at the range and you aggravated some other guy, and he walked up to you and grabbed the pistol and the pistol went off, would you want people to scrutinize a video of the event, discussing whether or not you intentionally pulled the trigger? How could you possibly prove that you didn't?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Come on doc....his car went crazy when it ran over the man. The throttle blip came well after contact and could have been the result of the car being tossed.
    Those cars are sprung very heavily especially the right rear as all the power and weight will transfer there off a corner when the loud peddle is put on the firewall. Being thrown like that it is entirely possible the reaction on the throttle was a result of this. Hard to understand unless you have been there.

If he was looking to trim his toenails they were both wrong but I do not see that.
    Not defending anyone just looking at the video as we all are.

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    If he were not a celebrity you would not even know the incident happened and it would have just been a tragic Saturday night at the race track.

True, non of us would have heard about it, but I am not sure I agree that it would have just been overlooked as a unpreventable accident either.

Having said that, I went back and looked at the video a few more times, and unless there is more evidence, I don't see him being charged with anything. It is just too hard to tell what really happened.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    As to docs view...the blue car was just as high as everyone was up there. Blue car went left when he saw ward, TS did not make the cut. It all happened inside of 100 feet off of a corner.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I'll always remember an interview with Charles Barkley about some other sports-related indecent.

When asked what the reaction would be from the indecent, Charles said "The people who like the guy will say to give him benefit of the doubt, and the people who don't like the guy will want to throw the book at him".

The most important dynamic with Stewart's accident is that he's a polarizing figure, with some who love him and some who hate him. The people who love him are going to be sorry to see all the vitriol that's sure to come, and the people who hate him are gonna have their day.

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    Looks and sounds like he wanted to through dirt on the guy but miss judged the distance and hit him. Throttle blip before the guy then another after the guy to straighten out. I have always liked his driving style but no one can argue he's a very emotion driver.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I'll always remember an interview with Charles Barkley about some other sports-related indecent.

When asked what the reaction would be from the indecent, Charles said "The people who like the guy will say to give him benefit of the doubt, and the people who don't like the guy will want to throw the book at him".

The most important dynamic with Stewart's accident is that he's a polarizing figure, with some who love him and some who hate him. The people who love him are going to be sorry to see all the vitriol that's sure to come, and the people who hate him are gonna have their day.

I've been to various motorsports event but I don't follow racing at all myself.
    I don't like or dislike Stewart or even know anything about him truthfully.
    That being said... the person responsible for the events unfolding as they did IMHO was not Stewart.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Looks and sounds like he wanted to through dirt on the guy but miss judged the distance and hit him. Throttle blip before the guy then another after the guy to straighten out. I have always liked his driving style but no one can argue he's a very emotion driver.

That's my guess. I likened it to splashing water on someone with a jet ski using a turn. My cousin did that, screwed it up and slammed Into other ski.

we are quarter-backing because Stewart hasn't said what happened...

Last edited:
    Top Bottom