• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Well since I've watched a man blow a walkers head clean off with a Colt Python I'd go with that! But since I cannot afford a Python I'll just use my GP100. G27 with 9mm barrel as my backup.

Jon

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I have gotten away from consolidating calibers due to the possibility that the availability of that one caliber might become very scarce in a SHTF situation. So I have decided to diversify and have most of the common calibers for pistols and rifles, that way I should be able to find ammo for one of the guns I have, or at least have a far better chance of finding said ammo.

Here is my list:
    If it has to be concealed or carried for "comfort" => *9mm* Glock 26 (12rd mags via +2 extensions) Also carry Glock 17rd mags for increased capacity. I need to get a couple of 33 rounders also for very high capacity.
    Intermediate to fullsize with good firepower => *.40S&W* FNS-40 (14rd magazines) This option could be substituted with the following: Glock, M&P, XD, Sig, Walther, or other similar handguns to YOUR liking.
    If concealing is not of concern and you want maximum firepower in a shootable platform =>*.45acp* FNX-45 It carries 15+1 rounds of .45acp and is available with a threaded barrel and ability to mount a Burris Fastfire. Is there anything close to this option that is commercially available and isn't the size and/or weight of a Desert Eagle with easily available ammo?

**I would also highly consider putting a .357 Revolver somewhere in that mix.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I've got pistols in .380, 9mm, .45acp, .25acp, .38spl, .38super, .357, .41mag, .44mag, .30cal carbine, BUT....I'm adding a .40cal for the availability of gubment ammo in case it's handy.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Having access to 3 or 4 calibers allows you a choice depending on what's out there. During the last Obummer Gun Scare, all versions of ammo were being hoarded, best to have and build a reasonable cache. No you are not a "nut", just trying to think prepped. I usually saw 40cal, but most others were gone. Right now, don't have a 40cal gun.
    Have owned a few in the past, just prefer 9mm and 45acp.

I also agree with your 3 choices. Glocks are like a Timex. they take a licken, and keep ticken!

On a side note, I keep a J frame snubby for pocket carry handy. My preference is full size "Service"weapons, but having that J frame helps when out for a gallon of Milk at 10:00pm. Concealment in SHTF may be important. It fits. Works.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    I think the best SHTF pistol is a police trade Glock 22.
    You can get a Gen 3 Glock 22 at AIM Surplus for $309.99 and extra 15 round mags for $11.95 each.
    Glock 22 .40cal Handgun Gen 3

A SHTF pistol should be one that you stash away and don't have to think about it again until you need it.
    It doesn't have to be a gun that you really like or anything pretty. Just one that's dependable, high capacity, accurate, and light weight.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Glock 19, the thinking man's pistol! Big enough to fight, small enough to hide. For those that cry about ammo availability, it's available NOW, and cheap for all the Walmart crowd. As cheap as it's been in years. Lay it in deep, and quit crying!

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I love .45ACP, but for SHTF, I'd want capacity. Sig P226 Tacops with a threadel barrel. 20rd capacity, common ammunition and very reliable. My top three would be the same gun :).

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    SHTF? I've got a bunch of handguns that I'd want to shove into the BOB in calibers from .45-.22lr(need a bigger bag?) and the only missing link would be something with a "high cap" magazine--but my AR holds more...

Seriously, in the prolonged SHTF situation the OP mentioned, say "back to the 18th/19th century", I was thinking that a black powder revolver(or three) would be good to have. The problem is that the issue of percussion caps would bring us full circle to: how to reuse primers to reload cased ammo. Any ideas or would we be stuck with flint locks and our SOG tomahawks?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    How much of a SHTF are you talking? Most of the population being dead or riots in the streets?

If things totally fell apart I'd want something that not only could I find ammo for but parts. That would take me to a Beretta 92/M9, a Glock 17 and a 1911.

The Drifter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Cedar Lake
    If shtf I want no more then 2 calibers , both NATO rounds . That brings me to 9 MM , and 45 . The police will have them , and the armed forces will have them . Your not gonna be fighting off people every day ,so 500 t0 1000 rounds put away should be more then enough per gun . What your gonna be doing is trying not to be seen , not looking for a fight. If you get in a shoot out and you win , you get another gun and more ammo , but I would not be looking for a shoot out . As far as your gun goes , I would carry 2 one large cap. and small back-up. Just don,t put to much importance on your hand gun ,your rifle is always your main go to weapon. Hand gun is last resort . I also like 357 mag. revolvers , can,t beat the power .

The Drifter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Cedar Lake
    How much of a SHTF are you talking? Most of the population being dead or riots in the streets?

If things totally fell apart I'd want something that not only could I find ammo for but parts. That would take me to a Beretta 92/M9, a Glock 17 and a 1911.

If things totally fall apart ,who the heck is going to have your parts ?? Buy what you think you will need for gun parts before hand.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    For practical day to day carry in a SHTF world (we may already be there and just not realize it yet), I'd probably go with this:

Glock 27 with a spare 9mm conversion barrel
    Glock 23 for EDC
    Glock 20 with a conversion barrel for .40 for times when capacity counts more than concealability. Maybe a G21 in place of this to add .45 to the caliber capability list.

Those would work for what I'd need a handgun for. Actually, I'm pretty much already there with that so there would not be much of a change. Those are not my favorite guns, but they are ones that I trust and shoot reasonably well.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

Lots of different ways for the S2HTF. If an F5 tornado blows through my neighborhood, it could be SHTF time when dealing with looters. To be honest, I'm not so sure the S... is not already smacking fan blades.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    really? I'm a bit surprised at some of these choices...
    I would want:
    1) a 357 revolver (medium to full size) I'd gladly take a S&W 686 or a Ruger GP100
    2) a 9 or .40 auto (small to medium size) Glock 19/23 or similar, or maybe something like the Shield/XDS, w/ a .45 being second choice in this category
    3) a .22lr auto or revoler

The only other gun I would consider putting on here as a top 3 SHTF handgun is a big magnum - 44, 454, etc. and I would swap it for #1 in my list above

Last edited:

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I will get take the G-23 SHTF option, with my EDC G-27 BUG. My G-22 is my trunk Monkey, and they all shoot Fotay, no mix and match.

Top Bottom