• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tynimiller

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Osceola
    I want a .22 for small game hunting, something like a targert pistol for accuracy.
    A 9mm for protection like a G19, popular ammo and mags.
    A .357 or .44 for bigger game hunting, like a Ruger Super Blackhawk or something similar.

(if only talking pistols)

shootamc58

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 28, 2012
    noblesville
    1. S&W 686 in 357. Very little that fails on a revolver. No jams, double feeds, etc. Great stopping power and could honestly be used as a blunt weapon if necessary.

2. Glock 41. I just got one and shoot it really well, however it would not be very concealable.

3. Glock 17. proven, tons of parts for replacement, great track record.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    If we are limiting the conversation to what's in my safe, my EDC is a G-20 (10mm). It's my EDC for a reason - capacity, destruction, reliability. It's also my wilderness carry for the same reasons - animals or people, it should work. So, My #1 choice from my safe is my EDC, the Glock 20.

Second would be my EDC before that, Beretta 92F. The 92F is reliable, also high capacity, not quite the destructive power of the 10mm, BUT I've shot thousands of rounds with it and I'm very comfortable with that weapon.

Third choice would be my 1911 - Sig - .45ACP is nice for self-defense, lower capacity and I don't shoot it as much, but it's reliable, accurate...pretty too.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Well my son and I collect firearm and ammo. We currently have about 30k of ammo, enough supplies to reload a similar amount, and around 100 firearms. But if you are concerned about the availability of "effective rounds" for a handgun. I would opt for my 45 ACP handguns. We have a fairly large store of bulk lead and molds for several types of 45 bullets.

I do agree the 9mm is fairly effective with the newly designed cartridges, but if restricted to what we can produce in our molds (and we do have 9mm molds) I would not consider them nearly as effective as the 45 ACP we can produce. However, how many rounds do you think you would use in a handgun in a SHTF situation ~ 500 - 1000? You can purchase and store that amount for less than the price of a decent firearm.

In reality I would probably be carrying one of my rifles like the Garand's, LR-308, AK's, SKS's, Mausers or one of my shotguns as my main weapon.

As to being able to obtain food from hunting, the 22's or shotguns are probably the best in Indiana. Squirrels, Rabbits, Birds are plentiful, and the shotgun with slugs is pretty good for deer (although I would probably ignore all game laws if I were hungry and use my .308, 30-06, .243 or other large caliber).

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    There's a big difference between bugging in and drawing on stores (of ammo) and traveling and scavenging ammo. If we're staying in we can use whatever we want. But if traveling, two pistols and a rifle can add up to significant weight so you'd have to be choosy.

In that situation, I'd take a G22 with 9mm conversion and a G27 with similar conversion. Carry one for each caliber of the short magazines, and two for each caliber of the long ones. Add a .22LR conversion kit for the G22 and I think all pistol bases are covered. .40SW should be plentiful to scavenge from cops, and 9mm and .22LR are both pretty plentiful.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I can't see changing what I do now to when SHTF. If I am in the woods I carry a 44 mag S&W. Around the house or barn I carry a Glock 36, well most places I go I have the 36 with me. I can't see a reason to change.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Lots of different ways for the S2HTF. If an F5 tornado blows through my neighborhood, it could be SHTF time when dealing with looters. To be honest, I'm not so sure the S... is not already smacking fan blades.

yes, Big "O" has a turd in his hand.........I repeat Big "O" has a turd in his hand.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Realistically, I can only use what I've got. So I'd primarily use my Beretta 92FS. Although, this conversation has made me want to get guns in different calibers. It seems like it gives you a better chance of finding ammo you can use. I really like the idea of getting a 40 cal Glock with a 9mm conversion kit.

In reference to the earlier post about using a 92fs with a CX4 rifle, what is the benefit of having a 9mm rifle as your primary? I understand the fact that they use 92fs mags, but if SHTF I think I'd want a .223 rifle at my disposal.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    SHTF scenario happens and ammo would be a scarce commodity. Look what happens after every tragic incident on the country.
    Magnify a tragedy by a rush on ammo, empty shelves, massive need.
    Rules and regulations on top of that and it will get ugly. Could happen any day, so you better plan for a rainy day.
    How much can you carry or store safely?

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    SHTF scenario happens and ammo would be a scarce commodity. Look what happens after every tragic incident on the country.
    Magnify a tragedy by a rush on ammo, empty shelves, massive need.
    Rules and regulations on top of that and it will get ugly. Could happen any day, so you better plan for a rainy day.
    How much can you carry or store safely?

I think this is a very good point. What concerns me is not which gun to hang on to, it is finding/having enough ammo for whichever caliber one chooses as his go-to.

But to answer the OP, I'd hang on to my G23 and/or possibly one of my .45 Glocks.

HamYankee

Expert
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Jan 24, 2014
    Hendricks County
    I now have all my top 3 SHTF pistols. Small, Medium, and Large. :rockwoot:

-- I carry the Glock 26 Gen 4 (9mm) as my EDC gun
    -- My 21 (45 ACP) is dedicated for home defense, and the
    -- 23 with 40 S&W rounds out the collection for CC options, OC, home defense, and to have a great 3rd caliber options for when ammo becomes scarce again, to also be compatible with local LE's.

I have extended slide releases for all of them and I need two more sets of night sights. I also want to install the smooth trigger without grooves on the 26 and 23 eventually.
    I'm especially looking forward to practicing with the Glock 23, Hickok45's favorite pistol.

photo%25284%2529.JPG

Top Bottom