• ...and so much more!
  • dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    .357 mag revolver.
    9mm, Springfield XD9, I shoot this best of all my handguns, eats everything I have put in it.
    .380, LCP for deep conceal

Revolvers don't spit out empty brass which can make hiding your tracks a little easier.

a .22 LR or PMR 30 could also be useful

Stock up on ammo now while it is plentiful & relatively cheap. Even .22LR is becoming readily available online way cheaper than it was 6 months ago.

In a real world SHTF (especially extended) I think scavenging ammo is going to be a futile endeavor. Lots of law enforcement will be out of ammo & dead, the ones that are still alive will take what they can to protect their own families. In this scenario, I believe only predators (single or gangs) will be going after guns & ammo with much enthusiasm.

The key is to stay off the radar as similarly mentioned previously, learn how to create make shift suppressors so that if you do have to use a firearm you can do it as invisibly as possible. I do not believe there will be abundant game, there is now but if you increase the hunters by 1000%+ ignoring hunting regulations the game population will quickly become scarce.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    From my current stash:
    Rugar SBH Hunter (scoped) 44 mag. for all critters
    S&W 610 61/2" will take .40 or 10mm. for carry
    Ruger MK II competition target, for small game
    Strong consideration to the S&W model 19 6"
    Rifle: Remington 700 w/ scope in .223
    Shogun: Mossy 500, 12 ga. great for birds

My feeling is the revolvers are most dependable and more accurate, at least in my hands.
    To each his own

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    The pistol platform is not a significant factor. You have what you have.

However, there are only three calibers to consider...22lr, 9mm, 38, 357, 40, and 45. And 45 colt. And round balls over black powder. They are equally wimpy.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    .22 revolver, probably S&W, for small game.

Glock 22 or 23, with extra barrels (9mm & .357 Sig) to have ammo options.

.44 Mag. revolver, probably S&W again.

And parts would likely be readily available, if not already owned.

I certainly agree with a .357 revolver (S&W, Ruger) and it would be a strong candidate. However, like the .38 / .357, the .44 Mag. has the same lower power option (.44 Spl.), but has even higher power for larger game.

This provides the option of being able to use 8 different calibers (.22S, .22L, .22LR, 9mm, .40, .357 Sig, .44 Spl., .44 Mag.) or the same amount if substituting a .357 revolver. That covers both defensive scenarios and hunting almost anything in the Continental U.S.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    We should keep in mind weight. A good .22 rifle for the lady, and an ar for me. As for pistols, g23-since the gubment will grab up all 9mm ammo and gander mt will only have .40 on every single shelf packed full ;) hopefully i'll be in the middle of no where if this happens.

HamYankee

Expert
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Jan 24, 2014
    Hendricks County
    That's part of why I got a 23 because there always seems to be a lonely box of .40 on the shelf.
    Plus, the G23 and .40 has really grown on me because I found I shoot it well.

We should keep in mind weight. A good .22 rifle for the lady, and an ar for me. As for pistols, g23-since the gubment will grab up all 9mm ammo and gander mt will only have .40 on every single shelf packed full ;) hopefully i'll be in the middle of no where if this happens.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    There are many great 9mm's on the market. Mine is an H&K. If I had to do without it, a 9mm Glock would do. In fact, for SHTF, Glock pretty much covers all the semi-auto bases. For a revolver that cannot be beat to death, a Ruger Vaquero in .357 or 45 LC would be the ticket. A Buckmark .22 with a Tactical Solutions barrel is a great little kit gun.

Top Bottom