• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I commute into Chicago every day have been doing it for many years. Since the area started shutting down there is a new breed of speeders out there. They are driving like they just robbed a bank and the cops are right on their tail. No matter what the speed of the traffic flow they are going 30, 40, idk over the limit. Ive been driving where the traffic flow is 70 to 80 and these guys are weaving in and out and slamming on their brakes narrowly avoiding accidents. They are braking so hard that their vehicles are shimmying side to side almost out of control. Most of these vehicles are full size trucks and suv's with a smattering of ****boxes that look like they are going to fall apart. There are some high end cars doing this but not many. Their are way more accidents in the routes I normally drive now than before the virus and accidents all the time where there never used to be any. When this first started happening I thought it was panicked people racing to buy toilet paper but it has not abated. I have not seen this on county or side roads, only on the interstates. Much more in Illinois than Indiana but plenty of Indiana plates.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    In response to the OP:
    With all due respect, there is a statute in Indiana that would allow a trooper or other police office to issue a summons for dawdling and holding up traffic from passing while you are in the left lane. There are also statutes that require traffic to keep right and pass left. Peace. Out.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    In response to the OP:
    With all due respect, there is a statute in Indiana that would allow a trooper or other police office to issue a summons for dawdling and holding up traffic from passing while you are in the left lane. There are also statutes that require traffic to keep right and pass left. Peace. Out.

I think (hope) he forgot the purple in his last sentence. ;)

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    As a certified Doppler radar instructor (I have a card that says so) I see tons of speeders around my AO. They must think they own the street because of social distancing mandates. Good thing I'm not a cop anymore. Citations out the wazoo!

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Yes, I notice it. Out here in the sticks it seems like an even split between the retired crew going in for stuff they don't need, just so they can live dangerously, and the impaired/stupid that never should have been issued a license to start with. I myself am a slow mover. But, I'll give you plenty of opportunity to pass at the appropriate places, and even move over and slow down a little more so you get the hint. If you decline to take the opportunity after a couple of passing zones then I'll just go on about my merry way, and you can park in the bed of my truck for all I care.

Honestly though, it is a lot more relaxed out on the rural roadways, just because it's so much more quiet.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I just returned from Church (special dispensation to be there) and even at 10 over the speed limit I was passed like I was tied to a post regularly.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT]

“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” ….Coach

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I just returned from Church (special dispensation to be there) and even at 10 over the speed limit I was passed like I was tied to a post regularly.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT]

“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” ….Coach

TEN OVER!!!???

Dude. You haven't even left pit road yet.:laugh:

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I've been meeting a lot of new people on the way to, at, and on the way home from work. I mostly just show them the pretty lights but sometimes I have deep, meaningful conversations with them.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I commute into Chicago every day have been doing it for many years. Since the area started shutting down there is a new breed of speeders out there. They are driving like they just robbed a bank and the cops are right on their tail. No matter what the speed of the traffic flow they are going 30, 40, idk over the limit. Ive been driving where the traffic flow is 70 to 80 and these guys are weaving in and out and slamming on their brakes narrowly avoiding accidents. They are braking so hard that their vehicles are shimmying side to side almost out of control. Most of these vehicles are full size trucks and suv's with a smattering of ****boxes that look like they are going to fall apart. There are some high end cars doing this but not many. Their are way more accidents in the routes I normally drive now than before the virus and accidents all the time where there never used to be any. When this first started happening I thought it was panicked people racing to buy toilet paper but it has not abated. I have not seen this on county or side roads, only on the interstates. Much more in Illinois than Indiana but plenty of Indiana plates.

Just went to Chicago yesterday... holy hell I did not expect the sort of speeding going on. Just insane, 100+ mph riding up on you like they're going to mow you over, weaving in and out of traffic... Makes me look at Indiana drivers completely differently.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I've been meeting a lot of new people on the way to, at, and on the way home from work. I mostly just show them the pretty lights but sometimes I have deep, meaningful conversations with them.
    I stay at speeds that keep me off the Radar, pun intended.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Traffic Is Down But Speeding Is Up

In Georgia, someone on a motorcycle passed a speed trap at 172 mpg. A sergeant with the Sandy Springs PD told a local news outlet, “Because it was a motorcycle and traveling at those speeds, our officer couldn’t even attempt to go after it. He didn’t have a chance.”

Not me. I am a good, law-abiding boy who only travels exactly the speed limit, even if I happen to be in the far left lane.
    If I said I’ve never done it I’d be lying. I didn’t buy a ninja to putt at 55, but, I’ve only cranked it down a couple times and it’s always been an open stretch on I-70 with nobody around. Too many idiots on the road to do that more than that. Otherwise I drive like a granny, especially in my car, I usually drive right at the speed limit. I’ve gotten a few fingers on the way to work. I take a old country road to work and it goes by a park, so I stay right at the 35mph limit, people don’t tend to like that.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

A few years back, I was on the bike coming into Marion county on 70. I (uhhhhh) wasn't wasting any time. Traffic was moving in the left two lanes, so I went into the slow lane to pass.

A nice SUV two lanes over flipped on their pretty lights as they seen me coming. Happily, no meaningful conversation. I hung back behind to the 465 exit.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    If I said I’ve never done it I’d be lying. I didn’t buy a ninja to putt at 55, but, I’ve only cranked it down a couple times and it’s always been an open stretch on I-70 with nobody around. Too many idiots on the road to do that more than that. Otherwise I drive like a granny, especially in my car, I usually drive right at the speed limit. I’ve gotten a few fingers on the way to work. I take a old country road to work and it goes by a park, so I stay right at the 35mph limit, people don’t tend to like that.

I was headed home one day; on my usual route there is a stretch of 35mph for about a mile that's begging for a 45 or better speed limit, on this particular day I was behind a marked State Trooper and we were rolling along dutifully at 35mph. As we neared an intersection controlled by a signal the road widened for a left turn lane, the bozo behind me pulls out into the turn lane and comes roaring up blasting his horn and giving me the one finger salute. I simply smiled at him and pointed for him to fall in line right in front of me. Unfortunately the trooper in front of me also signaled for him to pull forward of the trooper as he flipped on the red and blues.

I smiled and waved as I drove by the pair as they were pulling onto the shoulder!:rockwoot:

dekindy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2020
    Noblesville
    I doubt if it's really a case of being more conscientious and more a case of somewhere for them to move to. I don't hang out in the left lane as I'm old school and try to obey most of the laws of our land especially driving. I come to a full stop at stop signs, signal lane changes, don't text while driving, etc. Since moving to Indiana though I have become a speed limit scofflaw and at times run 15 to 20 over the posted limit on divided highways. This is primarily to avoid being killed by the 90% of other traffic moving that speed.

When I do hit the left lane to go around someone I try to gauge the speed of people in the left lane and avoid the low flyers so as not to impede them. There are times however that passing slower traffic takes time and 1/2 or 3/4 of the way passed them some low flyer climbs up my tailgate in an attempt to intimidate me out of their way. I'm not going to run my speed up to 90 just so he can continue on and if you don't back off I'll lift off the throttle enough to where I am still passing but taking it a lot slower. IOW if there's room I'll get out of the way of the guy running a LOT faster than the rest of the traffic if there's room to do it and I don't have to double the posted speed to do it.

That said, my morning and afternoon commute usually takes 45 minutes, I got to work the other morning in 22 minutes due to light traffic and only hitting one red light in the ~ 15 traffic signals I usually travel through.
    That is my philosophy also but most feel that should yield the left lane to speeders; you, the law abiding citizen must be the one inconvenienced by traffic going below your speed limit and heaven forbid that the law breakers be inconvenienced.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Yup. Get your ass out of the high speed lane. Let us idiots take our chances with LEO. You do your legal thing in the proper lanes for doing legal things OK...……:dunno:

So. Much. This! Every state I'm familiar with has the stricture in its driving rules of 'slower traffic keep right except to pass'. There is no exception for 'unless you are doing the speed limit'

You should not be trying to 'police' my speed because you are not the police. I will get by you. You can't ***** about being passed on the right or with minimal clearance if you are actively trying to
    interfere with a safer pass

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Sometimes I'll hang out in the left lane due to the poor condition of the right lane in places but you can bet money that I keep an eye on my mirrors to stay out of the way of low flyers. I don't like getting tickets and received a few in my younger days but I earned every one of them. Not to mention for every one I received there were probably 10 I should have gotten.:laugh:

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    That's why I never bought a zoom-splat and even when I was riding stuck with old man bikes. I've known me for too long. I barely trust myself with my car.
    Ya I’ve been debating selling it and getting a cruiser bike. Not because I don’t love it, but temptation gets the best of me sometimes. Like I said, 99% of the time I just ride the speed limit watching for idiots jumping 3 lanes without a signal... but if I’m cruising to Kentucky on a nice empty long stretch it’s too tempting not to kick it down and open it up for a quick mile.

And I want a cruiser bike so the wife will ride with me more. She hates getting on the Japanese bikes. Also I’m getting older and heavier, so before long I’ll be in the “heavy” range and won’t be able to ride it. I’ve been 6’4” and 170lbs since high school but it’s creeping up fast now.

Top Bottom