• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    I don't work DUI checkpoints so unless we happen to run into each other in Kokomo, you and I will most likely never meet. Can't cite/arrest you if I never stop you. ;)

And I've never been to Kokomo...

Well I guess I will be setting my meeting up with some other members in the Grove tomorrow night. I will pull a tail light out of all the cars involved and watch and wait.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Do you know which officer it was? Most that I know over in Warsaw are pretty cool, there are a few city that are well...d-bags.

True about Warsaw not seeing much action. Bar fighting season isn't in full effect just yet. They'll have plenty to do in a month or two when they're running pretty much non-stop DUI checkpoints in random spots through town and the sheriff department running them on the country roads. Most of their action I'd say is based around drunks or trying to stop homosexual activity in the park bathrooms (sadly that is true, one park had 20+ arrests in a month a couple summers back).

Yep...thats Warsaw...I'm trying to get ahold of her or my son to see if she got a name an will post it if she has it....so far they have disappeared....wonder if he went to Warsaw to talk to the chief about this....wondering know if he is in jail....????

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Well I guess I will be setting my meeting up with some other members in the Grove tomorrow night. I will pull a tail light out of all the cars involved and watch and wait.

I don't work in the Grove, I just live there. And I'm not a trooper or a member of a stat-driven unit so even with a taillight out you probably won't ever meet me.

Speaking of taillights out, I helped a buddy move last weekend and busted the plastic of one of the taillights on my truck putting stuff in the bed. :n00b:

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    My Daughter in law was stopped for speeding, she has a Lifetime handgun permit an a glock....Warsaw officer asks if she has this an a gun///we figure since its lifetime it showed up....she said yes....officer askd her to step out of the car, place her hands on the car an took her handgun, unloaded it....gave her the ticket an gave back her gun.....I do not know for sure if she gave permission for the gun to be takin or not....Why do some officer feel the need to disarm some people while other officers feel no need for this...?....I have yet to be stopped yet...I won't mind leaving my gun in the car if aske to get out...but I do not like the idea of having to surrender my gun..I figure when it happens to me an I say i do not want to surrender my gun or have you take it, I will be surrounded my cops an beaten almost to death....but thats me....so any thoughts for when she gets stopped again...any way to prevent an officer from taking your gun...I know they have to feel safe an secure, an don't blame them a bit....but it just doesn't seem right, espically when some officer do...an some don't....whats the scoop guys?

i guess the cop didn't trust the glock cause it doesn't have a frame mounted thumb safety:D

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    That didn't really answer the question, but you knew that.

I can't answer a question you directed at Keyser Sose, thats up to him. Were you to ask me the same question, I would answer that you can't be arrested for DUI if you weren't drinking, but you could be cited for a traffic infraction if you happened to commit one while turning off before the checkpoint. Hypothetically of course.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I don't work in the Grove, I just live there. And I'm not a trooper or a member of a stat-driven unit so even with a taillight out you probably won't ever meet me.

Speaking of taillights out, I helped a buddy move last weekend and busted the plastic of one of the taillights on my truck putting stuff in the bed. :n00b:

watch out some cop don't give a ticket for a busted tail light:D:rolleyes:

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion

Dang it you aren't helping me at all. Oh well I figured you wouldn't pull someone over for something so trivial in the first place.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I got stopped for a headlight being out in Mishawaka once. The officer said he just wanted to let me know and walked back to his car. Seemed like a nice guy.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Answer any questions with one of your own...

"Why am I being detained?"

How many of you have actually taken this approach during a traffic stop? With what results?

I've read all the stories - the experience seems to vary widely, but I don't recall reading one where the driver replied to everything with "why am I being detained?".

If I was a LEO and a driver took that approach, my tendency would be to do everything I legally could to make his life as difficult as possible for as long as possible. I try to treat others the way I would like to be treated, and I really dislike having someone answer a question with the same question repeated over and over.

This response seems to be very much a high risk / high reward proposition. However, it also seems almost certain to result in a ticket instead of a warning. But then again, spending $150 beats getting a gun pointed at you.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    How many of you have actually taken this approach during a traffic stop? With what results?

I've read all the stories - the experience seems to vary widely, but I don't recall reading one where the driver replied to everything with "why am I being detained?".

If I was a LEO and a driver took that approach, my tendency would be to do everything I legally could to make his life as difficult as possible for as long as possible. I try to treat others the way I would like to be treated, and I really dislike having someone answer a question with the same question repeated over and over.

This response seems to be very much a high risk / high reward proposition. However, it also seems almost certain to result in a ticket instead of a warning. But then again, spending $150 beats getting a gun pointed at you.

Glad you're not a LEO then!!!!

I guess you could always just say, "I don't have to answer your question, so i will remain silent." Would that soothe your imaginary LEO feelings?

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Glad you're not a LEO then!!!!

I guess you could always just say, "I don't have to answer your question, so i will remain silent." Would that soothe your imaginary LEO feelings?

That sounds a lot better - straightforward, not evasive.

By the way, what part of "I try to treat others the way I'd like to be treated" do you find offensive? I don't think there is anything wrong with trying to see things from the point of view of the guy who doesn't know when a driver is going to go nuts on him. Most people don't like having a question answered with a question.

Nobody answered the original question - if you have tried this approach, how did it work for you?

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    If you're pulled over for BREAKING the law, WHY is it unreasonable for a police officer to hold on to your gun until he sorts things out?

I was pulled over, CLEARLY GUILTY on Hwy 52 in Boone County doing 90+ mph (in a 60mph zone) about a year and a half ago by a Boone County Deputy Sheriff.

The officer was polite, but did ask me if I had any firearms on me.
    I told him I had a handgun in a fannypack on the passenger seat, and also had a Lifetime Carry permit. (which I showed him)

He came around to the passenger side and told me he was going to hold on to it while he ran my license.
    I just stayed in the car and never got out.

He ran my license, gave me my ticket (lucky I didn't get towed in) and placed the fannypack with my handgun in the back seat.

He then told me that he hadn't actually opened it to see what I was carrying.

I told him I had a Glock 29 10mm with some hot loads.

He smiled and said "wow, that's a lot of firepower!"

And I was on my way.

Had to pay about $390 or so fine if memory serves...
    But Hey, I was guilty.

Top Bottom