• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Keyser Soze

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Answer any questions with one of your own...

"Why am I being detained?"

Surly the officer would inform you the reason for the traffic stop before or after you provide your drivers license/registration. I just polity tell question masters in order for the traffic stop to be as quick as possible remain quiet. Keep your hands on the wheel.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Surly the officer would inform you the reason for the traffic stop before or after you provide your drivers license/registration. I just polity tell question masters in order for the traffic stop to be as quick as possible remain quiet. Keep your hands on the wheel.

Second to last sentence has me a bit confused...

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Surly the officer would inform you the reason for the traffic stop before or after you provide your drivers license/registration.

You'd think so, but sometimes it's just 20 questions and run them through the computer with no reason given for the original stop.

...and don't call me Surly. :):

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    If I had to give up my gun UNTIL the LEO was done with what they had to do, I would not really care. Maybe that particular cop got shot at before and is just a little skiddish himself.:dunno:

BumpShadow

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne

This has me confused as well.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    If I had to give up my gun UNTIL the LEO was done with what they had to do, I would not really care. Maybe that particular cop got shot at before and is just a little skiddish himself.:dunno:

You may be comfortable giving up your rights so the cop can have that warm, fuzzy feeling. I am not comfortable giving up my rights. Ever.

EnochRoot43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Anderson
    Your thinking too small........ props to Benny for this one........ :):

real-genius-popcorn-o.gif

NIce! You and Benny both show real genius in dramatic lurking skill.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    Just tell the officer that you do not have anything illegal in the car.

But she did have something illegal in the car, an exploding firearm!!

Dont you guys know those glocks are really explosives and not a just a firearm since they blow up all the time?????

Geez when are people gonna learn....:laugh:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have a Pistol license. We took two bullets in my kitchen wall while I was eating dinner. (One was 6 inches from my head, and I have pictures) I got my wife and got out of the apartment and called the police. The shooter was still in the apartment next to mine. When the police got there they disarmed ME! After about 10 officers showed up they had the woman apartment manager ask the drug addict, drunken shooter to step out. He told them it was a firearm malfunction due to a defective safety. The Police said ok and let the shooter back into his apartment. The Policeman said it is not against the law to be drunk in your own residence. The officers then ordered my wife and myself to go in our apartment and sit on the sofa. The officers spent a long time getting information from my pistol permit and checking the serial number of my pistol, like I was the marginal citizen. One officer was a gentleman but a couple of others were talked down to me and made foolish statements about me being able to handle a firearm. The older officer placed my now onloaded firearm in the kitchen table and told us to sit on the couch and not touch the firearm until 2 minutes after they left. The police report simply stated it was an accidental discharge.
    The dope smoking shooter had his buddies over later and they began beating on the walls and shouting they were going to cap my M*****F***** A** for calling the cops. I called the police who said that unless the door gets kicked in, they really cannot do anything. I armed up and stood watch until the party was over. The shooter started letting his pit bull loose every time he saw my wife or I walking to our cars. The police said that it is up to the apartment manager to enforce the leash law on the apartment grounds. We ended up having to move to insure my family safety and that cost us over $3,000 for breaking our lease.
    Where is justice? Maybe our society is broken down to the point that we just need to return fire and pretend we do not know anything about it

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Leo - tough story there. I am a landlord. If this sort of thing happens in one of my rentals, the owner DOES take things into his own hands, I assure you. When I rent to someone - every contract is 30 days month to month. There is also a section about "not engaging in criminal activity". If something like what you describe above happened - ArmedProgrammer's "happy clause" would be enforced. I want everyone happy and no drama. I have a new use for the premises. The shooter/partier's lease expires in 30 days. No fault, no blame, no problem, no drama. Anyone raising similar kinds of hell in an ArmedProgrammer managed rental gets equal treatment.

Funny - we have quiet places with very little turnover. Amazing, that....

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    I have a Pistol license. We took two bullets in my kitchen wall while I was eating dinner. (One was 6 inches from my head, and I have pictures) I got my wife and got out of the apartment and called the police. The shooter was still in the apartment next to mine. When the police got there they disarmed ME! After about 10 officers showed up they had the woman apartment manager ask the drug addict, drunken shooter to step out. He told them it was a firearm malfunction due to a defective safety. The Police said ok and let the shooter back into his apartment. The Policeman said it is not against the law to be drunk in your own residence. The officers then ordered my wife and myself to go in our apartment and sit on the sofa. The officers spent a long time getting information from my pistol permit and checking the serial number of my pistol, like I was the marginal citizen. One officer was a gentleman but a couple of others were talked down to me and made foolish statements about me being able to handle a firearm. The older officer placed my now onloaded firearm in the kitchen table and told us to sit on the couch and not touch the firearm until 2 minutes after they left. The police report simply stated it was an accidental discharge.
    The dope smoking shooter had his buddies over later and they began beating on the walls and shouting they were going to cap my M*****F***** A** for calling the cops. I called the police who said that unless the door gets kicked in, they really cannot do anything. I armed up and stood watch until the party was over. The shooter started letting his pit bull loose every time he saw my wife or I walking to our cars. The police said that it is up to the apartment manager to enforce the leash law on the apartment grounds. We ended up having to move to insure my family safety and that cost us over $3,000 for breaking our lease.
    Where is justice? Maybe our society is broken down to the point that we just need to return fire and pretend we do not know anything about it

Didn't they threaten you? Isn't that a crime in itself? It's sad that you were treated like the criminal here while they were let off easy. As for the op, I will answer that I have nothing illegal in the vehicle. If they continue to pressure me, that is when I will ask if I'm being detained. Unfortunately, in Ohio and some other states it is the law to inform. :xmad:

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    ill give you that, but apparently warsaw sucks harder.

Warsaw isn't that bad, Little Mexico has some really good food and there are random taco trucks spread out. Other than the random bathrooms in public you can't use out of fear of being attacked by some dude looking for a short term relationship, it isn't THAT bad.

Really though, I'd NEVER move back to Warsaw.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you

:hijack:

What would happen if you got right up while they were still there, and loaded your gun? I have heard of this happening in several threads when the LEO tells the driver of a vehicle not to load the firearm until he is gone. Can they really tell you what to do after their original stop is completed? What if they told you not to pick your nose and wipe the boogers on the dashboard for an hour after the stop? Or if they told you not to fart for 15 minutes? (Don't think I could obey that one) Are they going to ensure your safety for 2 minutes after they leave?

I would like to think that in a similar situation, I would reload as soon as I got my gun back, but then, I have only been pulled over maybe 3-4 times in my life, and I try to avoid run-ins with the law.

I guess I'm wondering if they can legally enforce you not touching your gun for a certain period of time. :dunno:

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Had a interesting talk to a ex LEO....I was told I don't have to inform...but if a officer asks if you have a gun you have too answer!!! He got a little upset when I told him no you don't, You can inform him of your Constitutional rights an remain silent...he kept saying no you can't you have to answer, its the law!! Finally he said, if you don't answer they can call for a search warrant an detain you, then take your gun if you have one an search your car.....he also finally said well....you don't have to answer, but there will be consequences.....I looked at him an said the problem I see is there too many cops that the only reason they got a badge is to be a bully with it....surprizingly he agreed. On a phone call to the State Police I aske if you have to tell an officer you are carrying an they told me no, but they appreciate it if you do tell them.....well my daughter in law did that, an she didn't appreciate what that officer did to her....another guy at work has read a Indiana Handgun Law vol. 2 an said that if a officer asks if you have a permit or a gun you have too tell him...I'm choosing to stay silent an let the little camera an microphone capture the results...if an when it happens.

jasonsromer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    MADISON
    :hijack:

What would happen if you got right up while they were still there, and loaded your gun? I have heard of this happening in several threads when the LEO tells the driver of a vehicle not to load the firearm until he is gone. Can they really tell you what to do after their original stop is completed? What if they told you not to pick your nose and wipe the boogers on the dashboard for an hour after the stop? Or if they told you not to fart for 15 minutes? (Don't think I could obey that one) Are they going to ensure your safety for 2 minutes after they leave?

I would like to think that in a similar situation, I would reload as soon as I got my gun back, but then, I have only been pulled over maybe 3-4 times in my life, and I try to avoid run-ins with the law.

I guess I'm wondering if they can legally enforce you not touching your gun for a certain period of time. :dunno:

Legally... probably not, but we must all obey all authoritarians....rite?:dunno:

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    So you're going to pull me over for not following the other cattle? What are you going to cite/arrest me for when you realize I haven't had a drop of alcohol in two years?

I don't work DUI checkpoints so unless we happen to run into each other in Kokomo, you and I will most likely never meet. Can't cite/arrest you if I never stop you. ;)

And I've never been to Kokomo...

Top Bottom