Traffic Stop S.O.P. - Check gun for stolen?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slade

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Evansvile
    I was stopped in Evansville this week for speeding. Before the long ordeal ended, the officer ran my pistol to see if it was stolen. He said it kept coming back with hits on it but he didn't think that it was. Long story short he let me go. Is it normal to have your gun checked during a routine traffic stop?

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Why did he even have to know if you had a firearm? Did he ask? Or did you volunteer the info? If the latter, why?

I think that's a valid question

To the OP, in my experience checking a weapon is not SOP, but it's is done by some LEO's

03mustgt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    I know most officers will run the firearm through IDACS/NCIC, personally I do not, as I do not feel that I can legally do so.

Glock18FA

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    There is no logical reason to tell an officer you have a legally owned firearm. If they see it in plain view(or you tell them you have it) they can run the numbers on it to see if its stolen.

Last edited:

reaper101

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Muncie, Indiana
    there is a logical reason its called courtesy, not everyone who has a firearm is a good guy and out of courtesy to the officer (for officer safety) you could inform him. if you choose not to that on you and if spotted you will prolly get the bad guy routine (Put your hand on your steering wheel and dont move them while the officer clears your weapon). people dont seem to realize if you are up front then the hole ordeal can be over quickly and everyone can go home safe and happy. This does not mean that everyone who has a firearm is a bad guy.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    There is no logical reason to tell an officer you have a legally owned firearm. If they see it in plain view(or you tell them you have it) they can run the numbers on it to see if its stolen.

Uhhh, since when? I know there are many stories about how this happens, but there's no legal right or authority that says they are allowed to do so unless you volunteer it. 4th Amendment FTW.

there is a logical reason its called courtesy, not everyone who has a firearm is a good guy and out of courtesy to the officer (for officer safety) you could inform him. if you choose not to that on you and if spotted you will prolly get the bad guy routine (Put your hand on your steering wheel and dont move them while the officer clears your weapon). people dont seem to realize if you are up front then the hole ordeal can be over quickly and everyone can go home safe and happy. This does not mean that everyone who has a firearm is a bad guy.

It may be a courtesy, it may be nice, it may foster a brotherhood between you and the LEO so that you both go dancing among fields filled with flowers and unicorns and rainbows. However, IN does not require that you inform a LEO that you're armed, and there's no need to, period. The legal carry of a weapon has been denied as a reason for a search, so a LEO has no reason to be entering my vehicle to retrieve and clear my weapon, even if they do find out I'm carrying. The only time it might be a good idea to inform is if you are asked to step out of your vehicle. Other than that, keep your mouth shut.

I'm not going to submit to someone's authoritah if the traffic stop has nothing to do with me carrying. That, and I don't generally give LEOs a reason to pull me over, so the point is moot.

Slade

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Evansvile
    The officer asked me if I had a gun. I told him I did. He made it very clear that he would have preferred that I had told him when he first stopped me. He didn't ask until about 5 min. into the stop.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    So? Did he then ask you to hand it over, or did he enter your vehicle and remove it for that d-bag Officer Safety? (I still don't know who this Officer Safety is, or why we're supposed to submit to his authoritah) Who cares if he wished you would have informed him sooner. You don't have to inform him at all.

Glock18FA

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Uhhh, since when? I know there are many stories about how this happens, but there's no legal right or authority that says they are allowed to do so unless you volunteer it. 4th Amendment FTW.

If they see a weapon in plain site they can run the numbers on it. It has nothing to do with the 4th amendment. It has more to do with Indiana codes and case law.

reaper101

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Muncie, Indiana
    courtesy has nothing to do with skipping through the meadows full of flowers and unicorns, courtesy is putting yourself in there shoes and realizing that they r just doing there job and putting there life on the line to protect the people of the community. Courtesy is just another word for respect and obviously people dont respect what they r trying to do or it would not even be a debate. I guess im just old fashioned and a pay respect/credit where respect/credit is due. :twocents:

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    He asked 5 minutes into the traffic stop and removed it from the vehicle while I was sitting on the curb.

That is Not a routine traffic stop. If he removed you from the vehicle and conducted a cursory search either he felt it was much more serious than a routine traffic stop or part of the story was left at the curb also. Any officer who stops you for a traffic violation, is going to cite you or send you on your way before 5 minutes unless there is more to the story or he/she was on a fishing expedition :dunno:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GlockFrenzy
    Top Bottom