Traffic Stop S.O.P. - Check gun for stolen?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slade

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Evansvile
    Smells like a troll to me. I know several LEO's, and I don't think any of them would just let this guy go if his gun came back with multiple "hits". If he did and that gun was used later in a robbery or shooting the LEO would at the very least loose his job. Just saying....

So who would the "Troll" be that you are referring to?

I don't have a problem with anything that went on with the stop except for the running the gun serial numbers. I think this should happen if you are being charged with something.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Smells like a troll to me. I know several LEO's, and I don't think any of them would just let this guy go if his gun came back with multiple "hits".

Most firearms will come back with multiple hits. The program may hit on several similar weapons that are in the database. It is up to the officer or dispatch to read through the documents that are returned to determine whether it is one of the listed firearms or not.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    A cop who doesn't know how to unload a double action revolver? I call B.S.

Probably not B.S. Most newer officers, unless they have their own, have probably never messed with a revolver before. Other than taking them off people or finding ones that have been ditched in a foot pursuit, I've never run across a revolver at our department. I know how to unload them because I've owned several (and usually it's pretty self explanatory as it's the only swith or button on the entire firearm other than the hammer if it is exposed).

Most cops seem happy any more to have people carry guns and in fact encourage it.

In my exprience this isn't the case.

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    My question would be whether they have driver's licenses synched with the carry permit database and when they run a DL and see the permit, then ask. The the officer ask the question initially or after running your numbers? Most cops seem happy any more to have people carry guns and in fact encourage it. This one does seem kind of odd...
    what planet are you from? the cops on the third rock from the sun that ive encountered hate the fact that mere mortals are allowed to have the same weapons that should be reserved for super citizens aka cops.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

03mustgt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    My question would be whether they have driver's licenses synched with the carry permit database and when they run a DL and see the permit, then ask.

No, they are not synched. Whenever you run a DL you do not get a response for a carry permit.

03mustgt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    not necessarily. It varies by department

I have never heard of them being synched in any department. What department has them synched? When you run an inquiry through IDACS on a license you do not get a return on a carry permit.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    3 or 4 sheriffs in Vanderburgh county have told me this, as well as another INGO member has had it verified with several. I would say synced is the wrong term to use anyway. More than likely the departments got a copy of the database from ISP and implemented it into thier system. I highly doubt it is something that is updated very often

Munky

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    Cicero
    A handful of my guns were bought from an auction of an ATF seizure - Do you suppose they would give me crap if they ran one of those numbers?

03mustgt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    3 or 4 sheriffs in Vanderburgh county have told me this, as well as another INGO member has had it verified with several. I would say synced is the wrong term to use anyway. More than likely the departments got a copy of the database from ISP and implemented it into thier system. I highly doubt it is something that is updated very often

Ok, that makes more sense now! Thanks for clarifying!

03mustgt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    A handful of my guns were bought from an auction of an ATF seizure - Do you suppose they would give me crap if they ran one of those numbers?

As long as they were taken out of the database then you shouldnt have any problems. I am assuming you received a bunch of paperwork from the ATF when you got them?

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

Ok, that makes more sense now! Thanks for clarifying!

How it was explained here before (can't find the thread(s)) is that some counties/towns enter licenses that were applied for there in their databases. So it shows up only on ones that went through their depts. if yours was applied for elsewhere it won't show up.

I've also heard that some depts sop is to run name/info through the LTCH database when they run the Driv. Lic. but :dunno:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Just cover your serial number and tell the officer that you dont consent to any search.If they can see the number nothing can stop them from a check.
    There is no reason to run the serial number on your gun.Why not the serial number on your cell phone or any other item you may have on you, what would make the officer think that your gun was stolen.

mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    not sure how they know or who knows but

i can vouch for some agencys knowing if you have a permit, west lafayette police do and btw my permit was issued though the county.... i was pulled over and the cop walked back up to my car saying " when i ran your liscens it shows you have a carry permit, do you have any guns with you ?" me resond yes .... him " next time you should tell the officer first thing if you do"

03mustgt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    not sure how they know or who knows but

i can vouch for some agencys knowing if you have a permit, west lafayette police do and btw my permit was issued though the county.... i was pulled over and the cop walked back up to my car saying " when i ran your liscens it shows you have a carry permit, do you have any guns with you ?" me resond yes .... him " next time you should tell the officer first thing if you do"

They are on the same local data system as Tippecanoe county.

mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    good to know. i was acutally shocked to find out that other departments didnt know when they ran your dl...... my sop is if in west laf/ tippecaone tell when pulled over , they will just find out any way, + in 4 stops never had any one say anything than ok cool

every where else dont ask dont tell... and even then still might not tell

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    there is a logical reason its called courtesy, not everyone who has a firearm is a good guy and out of courtesy to the officer (for officer safety) you could inform him.

This statement reminds me of this:

nazi-papers.jpg

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    I call Troll also..

A North Vernon cop stopped for a license plate light last year. He asked if we had any guns and we did. He said that they must take them and run the numbers. He said that they had been instructed to run all numbers. He brought me my colt python back and said that he did not know how to check to see if it was loaded. It was in the case with the hammer cocked back. He was endangering everyone in the area by not knowing his way around the gun he was checking. I am just wondering why a bad plate light turned into a half hour, waste of my time.

Yep=I call it a Troll=NO LEO out there would have a problem clearing a Colt Python!--Good choice of weapon, on the Troll's part though..:draw:

Top Bottom