Traffic Stop S.O.P. - Check gun for stolen?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    I got pulled over yesterday for speeding. I was back on the road in 5 minutes with a ticket and a "slow down and have a nice day". I never mentioned i had a gun and he never asked. I think thats the easiest way to do it. Who knows, if i told him i may have been beat down and pistol whipped with my own gun which would have taken at least an additional 5 minutes and i was already late(hence my speeding) :D

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Martinsville
    Almost every time I have been stopped, they ask me if I have any weapons. When they don't, I usually tell them anyway. Every single time they have taken my weapons back to run them. I do not mind them running the numbers, but I don't like them taking my firearms to their car. Some of them have been very expensive pieces, and I have found that most LEO's don't know anything about any guns, other than the one they carry. I feel like I have the right to tell them that I am going to keep them in my possession, but will be willing to let them write the numbers down. I also feel that nicely telling them that, would ensure that I am going to get a ticket. Does anyone actually know the law on this. I don't feel that after I have provided a carry license, and am willing to give them serial numbers, that they have the power to take my guns from my possession because I was stopped for a traffic violation. thanks for any details.

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Martinsville
    He asked 5 minutes into the traffic stop and removed it from the vehicle while I was sitting on the curb.

That is Not a routine traffic stop. If he removed you from the vehicle and conducted a cursory search either he felt it was much more serious than a routine traffic stop or part of the story was left at the curb also. Any officer who stops you for a traffic violation, is going to cite you or send you on your way before 5 minutes unless there is more to the story or he/she was on a fishing expedition :dunno:

This statement is not true. On multiple occasions, after a LEO has asked if I had any firearms, I have then been asked to get out of the vehicle and stand aside while he went through my vehicle to get it. They have no right or responsibility to do this. They sure as hell don't run every number that does through the indy 1500, why should my car be any different?

Munky

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    Cicero
    I've been pulled over once in the past 3 years, and at the time I had my gun in my glovebox. The only reason I willingly told him I had my firearm was because my registration was sitting right underneath it. He said, and I quote: "Cool, thanks for letting me know. Go ahead and grab your papers"

Fast, and easy. Courtesy goes a long way.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    This statement is not true. On multiple occasions, after a LEO has asked if I had any firearms, I have then been asked to get out of the vehicle and stand aside while he went through my vehicle to get it. They have no right or responsibility to do this. They sure as hell don't run every number that does through the indy 1500, why should my car be any different?

A Stop for a Traffic Infraction is just that. A UTT, A Verbal or Written Warning. When You are taken Out of the Vehicle and the Vehicle Searched then its No Longer Just a Stop for a Traffic Infraction and has changed into a Criminal Investigation. Where did I say that they would check every firearm for stolen. Reading Comprehension can go a long way :popcorn:

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    He asked 5 minutes into the traffic stop and removed it from the vehicle while I was sitting on the curb.

That is Not a routine traffic stop. If he removed you from the vehicle and conducted a cursory search either he felt it was much more serious than a routine traffic stop or part of the story was left at the curb also. Any officer who stops you for a traffic violation, is going to cite you or send you on your way before 5 minutes unless there is more to the story or he/she was on a fishing expedition :dunno:

How is Sarge's statement not true?

You had a legally owned firearm and you were asked to leave the vehicle while the officer went through your car to get it...? :eek:

That sounds routine. :n00b: :n00b:

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Martinsville
    He said if one is stopped for a traffic violation, they will be cited or sent on their way in 5 minutes. If i am stopped for speeding and that turns into a 20 min ordeal just because I have a gun with me, then it would not seem to be a 5 minute ticket or no ticket

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Martinsville
    Not trying to **** anyone off, there have just been multiple occasions that I have been stopped and it Should have been a 5 minute ticket or no ticket decision. That is usually not the case. If you stop me for speeding, then write me ticket or don't. I don't see how running 65 in a 55 turns into someone on a curb for 20 minute while a cop rifles through my ****, because I was legally carrying a firearm.

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    He said if one is stopped for a traffic violation, they will be cited or sent on their way in 5 minutes. If i am stopped for speeding and that turns into a 20 min ordeal just because I have a gun with me, then it would not seem to be a 5 minute ticket or no ticket

I read what he wrote, as should you.

The 20 minute ordeal is probably the "Fishing expedition" he was referring to.

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Martinsville
    A Stop for a Traffic Infraction is just that. A UTT, A Verbal or Written Warning. When You are taken Out of the Vehicle and the Vehicle Searched then its No Longer Just a Stop for a Traffic Infraction and has changed into a Criminal Investigation. Where did I say that they would check every firearm for stolen. Reading Comprehension can go a long way :popcorn:

I comprehend just fine. Thanks! How or why does it go from a traffic stop to a criminal investigation when no further crime has been committed. I am fully aware that you did not say that they should check everyone for stolen. I DID! Every time I have been checked EVERY firearm has been checked.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Not trying to **** anyone off, there have just been multiple occasions that I have been stopped and it Should have been a 5 minute ticket or no ticket decision. That is usually not the case. If you stop me for speeding, then write me ticket or don't. I don't see how running 65 in a 55 turns into someone on a curb for 20 minute while a cop rifles through my ****, because I was legally carrying a firearm.

I comprehend just fine. Thanks! How or why does it go from a traffic stop to a criminal investigation when no further crime has been committed. I am fully aware that you did not say that they should check everyone for stolen. I DID! Every time I have been checked EVERY firearm has been checked.

I haven't a clue because I wasn't there and am not privy to all of the information. A Stop for a Traffic Infraction is just that, a brief stop to either issue a UTT, Verbal or Written Warning. You would be required (if driving) to produce a valid DL and registration for the vehicle. If & when you are removed from the vehicle or detained for an indefinite time it is for more than just a Traffic Investigation.

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Martinsville
    The information does not necessarily matter. My original question was in reference to any general traffic stop. If I am stopped for speeding and tell the officer I have a gun, and then provide my DL and LTCH, why then does every officer, I have been involved with, tell me to get out of the vehicle and they then take my gun? Do they have legal right to do so, or do I have legal right to tell them I would prefer to keep it in my possession throughout the traffic stop?

patton487

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    I was stopped in Evansville this week for speeding. Before the long ordeal ended, the officer ran my pistol to see if it was stolen. He said it kept coming back with hits on it but he didn't think that it was. Long story short he let me go. Is it normal to have your gun checked during a routine traffic stop?

Smells like a troll to me. I know several LEO's, and I don't think any of them would just let this guy go if his gun came back with multiple "hits". If he did and that gun was used later in a robbery or shooting the LEO would at the very least loose his job. Just saying....

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Martinsville
    A North Vernon cop stopped for a license plate light last year. He asked if we had any guns and we did. He said that they must take them and run the numbers. He said that they had been instructed to run all numbers. He brought me my colt python back and said that he did not know how to check to see if it was loaded. It was in the case with the hammer cocked back. He was endangering everyone in the area by not knowing his way around the gun he was checking. I am just wondering why a bad plate light turned into a half hour, waste of my time.

silkpoet

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 6, 2010
    SW Indiana
    My question would be whether they have driver's licenses synched with the carry permit database and when they run a DL and see the permit, then ask. The the officer ask the question initially or after running your numbers? Most cops seem happy any more to have people carry guns and in fact encourage it. This one does seem kind of odd...

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    My question would be whether they have driver's licenses synched with the carry permit database and when they run a DL and see the permit, then ask. The the officer ask the question initially or after running your numbers? Most cops seem happy any more to have people carry guns and in fact encourage it. This one does seem kind of odd...
    Not really. We've had a number of similar stories here on INGO. It seems like there are quite a few cops who are more than willing to take your firearm from you and fondle it and run the SN. I am glad that I've seen a few stories where the cop just says, "OK. Carry on" and does nothing. Those should be the norm, not the exception.

Top Bottom