• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Some of you know who Ben Stoeger is: Multiple time USPSA National Champion, renowned internet troll, and a bit of a dick. He’s been particularly prolific in the last year, releasing a series of four books on handgun shooting. I assume he’s realized print is dead, and decided to go multimedia with the release of “Training to Win,” a 106 minute long DVD/digital download.
    I’ll start the review with a bit of a biographical disclaimer. Any review will be somewhat biased, as the reviewer has a certain level of experience and unique background that may or may not color his/her perceptions. With that in mind, here are mine. I’m a recently minted USPSA M-class Single Stack and Production shooter after 3 years of semi-serious participation in the sport. I’ve taken a 2-day class with Mr. Stoeger and find his reputation as a GM-level Richard to be only mildly overstated. Having said that, he’s a helluva instructor. My first M-card (Single Stack) came shortly after taking his class.
    On to the video. It’s available as a hard copy DVD for those still living in the 20th century, and as a digital download for modern folks. I opted for the latter. It’s full HD and all that good stuff, but the content is what shines. Co-starring Matt Hopkins of CZ fame, and Chris Kozell as the “average Joe with an open gun, “ Training to Win covers a range of divisions and skill levels. The format consists of the dry fire-live fire loop, with alternating sequences of skill specific dry and live drills, punctuated by the application of the specific skills to actual USPSA stages. As they work through the drills, Ben provides the essence of each drill; that is to say what one should really be looking for when performing them. He also gives some goal times that give the viewer a good sense of what a good time might be as a benchmark. The skills covered go beyond simple classifier “stand n’ shoot” skills, and are focused on improving your match scores, not just your classification.
    The video integrates references to Ben’s books and some outtakes from his podcast. Having read the former, I think the video is a complementary piece even without the explicit references to page numbers and whatnot. Taken together, they’re an extremely comprehensive look into the training philosophy of someone with serious practical shooting credentials. (I mean, who the heck wins a national championship with a Beretta???) Many of the drills in the video are also contained in “Skills and Drills” or “Champion Shooting.” The video provides a great resource for the visual leaners, while the books contain a more easily referenced, but somewhat more abstract guide. Put them together and you get a complete package that is damn-near as good as a 1-on-1 class.
    Perhaps the most useful thing about video, and the training tools it provides, is that it’s coming from the viewpoint of the non-sponsored, non-independently wealthy shooter. There is an unstated focus on cost effectiveness in the dry fire-live fire loop approach the video advocates. While I don’t want to give away the core bits, there are very useful lessons on how to take lessons learned in live fire feedback and fix problems areas in dry fire.
    Even as a semi-jaded (paper) M-class, I got a lot out of the video and even more out of the video/book combo. I expect that Cs, Bs, and As would have an even better return on investment. For the price of some not even fancy pants trigger doodads, I think this video is money well-spent. Get the books as well, and incorporate what’s in them, and you have as close as you can get to a surefire recipe for better match results. Not to mention increased updated/upgraded Membership Card printing cost for HQ.

I've spent more on a bottle of whisky than the cost of the video. At least with the video, I'll have better shooting skills to show for my money.

Check it out at Training to Win with Ben Stoeger DVD

While you're at it, donate a couple bucks to the USPSA Juniors program and help out the next generation of shooting competitors.
    Donations

Snizz1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Thanks for the review Rob, I ordered mine earlier this week.

This will come off semi nut hugger ish but I've read his books this off season and found them helpful. And I think I've said it before, still being fairly new I was ignorant of dry fire practice in general. Not that it takes a rocket scientist to think up dry fire drill, and I often expand on what's in the book, but its helped me establish a program I'm happy with and expecting to benefit from.

kevinsr98

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   1
    Feb 12, 2011
    Thanks for the review. I have one of his books and I thought it was good. I couldn't make the class he gave here, this will be almost as good for a lot less money!

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    (I mean, who the heck wins a national championship with a Beretta???)

Ernest Langdon??
    Why is a CZ clone better than a beretta?

I may give it a look, esp if it's really stand-alone quality (don't need all the books to get full value). I got one of his books [kindle], forget the title off the top of my head, and it seemed to regurgitate most stuff already out there; still haven't gotten fully through it. He's up to 4 books now? seems like like he's stretching to make product to sell.

If you were to recommend ONE of his books to go with the vid, which would it be?

-rvb

Last edited:

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Ernest Langdon??

Wasn't exactly a super deep field in 2000. :):

Why is a CZ clone better than a beretta?

How much time ya got?

(as with most of my posts, I'm half joking about 60% of a portion of them)

I may give it a look, esp if it's really stand-alone quality (don't need all the books to get full value). I got one of his books, forget the title off the top of my head, and it seemed to regurgitate most stuff already out there; still haven't gotten fully through it. He's up to 4 books now? seems like like he's stretching to make product to sell.

If you were to recommend ONE of his books to go with the vid, which would it be?

-rvb

The first 2 he co-authored with Jay Hirshberg. My speculation is that he wasn't entirely satisfied with them. The first one isn't even for sale on his website anymore. "Champion shooting" is a dry-fire manual, sort of a more detailed version of Steve Anderson's first book. "Practical Pistol" is on fundamentals. Being a sandbagging GM, I don't know you'd get too much from those. "Skills and Drills" is probably the best companion piece to the DVD.

And CZs are wayyyyyyyyy better than Berettas. Just sayin' :):

(and yet I've fought back the urge to pick up an M9A1 about a dozen times this week alone)

Snizz1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    ^ I would agree the skills and drills book would be the one, if I had to choose one. I think the dry fire book is pretty good too, the other two that were co authored are just ok.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Wasn't exactly a super deep field in 2000. :):

VERY true!

How much time ya got?
    (as with most of my posts, I'm half joking about 60% of a portion of them)
    And CZs are wayyyyyyyyy better than Berettas. Just sayin' :):
    (and yet I've fought back the urge to pick up an M9A1 about a dozen times this week alone)

regardless, perhaps we can agree either are way better than glocks! :)

The first 2 he co-authored with Jay Hirshberg. My speculation is that he wasn't entirely satisfied with them. The first one isn't even for sale on his website anymore. "Champion shooting" is a dry-fire manual, sort of a more detailed version of Steve Anderson's first book. "Practical Pistol" is on fundamentals. Being a sandbagging GM, I don't know you'd get too much from those. "Skills and Drills" is probably the best companion piece to the DVD.

I might check out one of his later books then. I have one of the co-authored ones, and I wasn't so impressed. Read like a podcast transcript.... like someone telling us what Ben said, then Ben coming in and clarifying...

Even being at this a while, these things are often worth it if you pick up a few nuggets of useful info. Make good b-day/christmas present ideas for folks that complain they never know what to get me... beats a getting a sweater... I'm slowly going through JM's AR shooting vid now...

-rvb

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I would that " a bit of a dick" is an understatement.

At that other site I saw the review at, this subject turned in to quite an ordeal. Unbeknownst to me, there are a lot of well known people in the gun field who don't just dislike Stoeger, but detest him. A little too much drama, but it was interesting.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    At that other site I saw the review at, this subject turned in to quite an ordeal. Unbeknownst to me, there are a lot of well known people in the gun field who don't just dislike Stoeger, but detest him. A little too much drama, but it was interesting.

He deserves it.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT

That thread was a big letdown. I was hoping for some fireworks.

I did chuckle at the terrorist comment.

Snizz1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    I got my copy today, actually better than I thought it would be. I don't care if he's a dick or not I will benefit from the DVD.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    26432020animatedgif20de.gif

t

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Do we hate Stoeger or Yeager worse?

;)

Can't say I hate either. Ben has been hugely helpful to me and my shooting. As far as Yeager, it's not nice to hate "special" people. :laugh:

Coach just hates everyone. I think he's angling for a spot on Team Luddite Curmudgeon. :):

Top Bottom