• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I see no problem with people carrying them but I dont really want to carry one. unless both lungs are collapsed you aren't going to die. My left lung collapsed and i went on for a long time with it collapsed so you can still function it just hurts a lot and its harder to breath. I dont want some random guy that has watched 3 kings a few too many times stabbing me with stuff.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I see no problem with people carrying them but I dont really want to carry one. unless both lungs are collapsed you aren't going to die. My left lung collapsed and i went on for a long time with it collapsed so you can still function it just hurts a lot and its harder to breath. I dont want some random guy that has watched 3 kings a few too many times stabbing me with stuff.

Simmer down now boy. Let me get that shirt cut off o' ya... :):

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    NO! absolutely not, go, go away

did i mention the whole idea of shoving a biga** needle in some ones chest creeps me the **** out

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I want a small something to put together to put in the saddlebag of the bike, can't be too big cuz I have limited space...this small EDC idea might work well

I have a small kit on my bicycle but it's more for small cuts and scratchs.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...did i mention the whole idea of shoving a biga** needle in some ones chest creeps me the **** out

It does me too. However, I won't stand there and watch you die when I have the ability help you. I expect the same from you!
    So we need to cowboy up and get by this.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Im not going to do it to anybody and i don't expect to have it done by anybody else outside of a ambulance/hospital. Too much risk involved. and we have 2 lungs. i went a long time using only my right lung. I will do everything i am trained to do but that is it no more no less. Ask me to start an IV i can do that, ask me to do cpr for an hour sure, chest darts nope.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Im not going to do it to anybody and i don't expect to have it done by anybody else outside of a ambulance/hospital. Too much risk involved. and we have 2 lungs. i went a long time using only my right lung. I will do everything i am trained to do but that is it no more no less. Ask me to start an IV i can do that, ask me to do cpr for an hour sure, chest darts nope.

From what I understand it's not life threatening anyway.Not like arterial bleeding who can kill someone in a very few minutes if not treated.
    If you're not far from civilization then EMS should be there shorlty before you even need to think about using a decompression needle.
    Now that's another story if you're hours or even days away from any kind of EMS.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Yea a pneumothorax isn't fun but you aren't gonna drop dead from it. The Doctors said my left lung could have been down for over a month probably a lot longer. It hurt like a sumb!7ch and i had trouble breathing but that was all. Learn all the stuff covered by your little red cross cards and carry the stuff to stop bleeding and sucking chest wounds and you're probably good to go.[/FONT]

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Any one near batesville: during the frienship shoot there is a mil surp guy in the flea market area that usually has a bunch of CATs, celox, and quikclot among other goodies. He usually has good prices. this is a younger guy not the older guy in the rv.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    I'm slowly trying to build one up. I wish I could get my hands on a few more items which I believe I'm qualified to administer/use in a life or death situation (naloxone, epi, etc.) but that's far more difficult than it sounds :(

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Yea a pneumothorax isn't fun but you aren't gonna drop dead from it. The Doctors said my left lung could have been down for over a month probably a lot longer. ...

Other than your personal experience, do you have any professional confirmation of this? Links?

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    What not dropping dead from a collapsed lung? Google can you live with a collapsed lung and you will get a bunch of stuff. Im on my phone now or i would post links. mine was spontanious because i am tall and thin about 6'1" & 110lbs at the time so it was a little different than a gsw. they pit me on oxygen for a couple days and made me lay in bed fkr ever and ever. since I had it so long they weren't too concerned

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    What not dropping dead from a collapsed lung? Google can you live with a collapsed lung and you will get a bunch of stuff. Im on my phone now or i would post links...

That's OK, we can wait for you to back up your statement. Maybe someone else will chime in that a pneumothorax doesn't need treatment?

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Im sure this isn't the best link but its pretty much what was relayed to me by the doctors. And even though chez wrote that in purple its kinda true. They do need to be checked out but it usually is not something that absolutely has to be addressed in the field.

Pneumothorax | Health | Patient.co.uk

The above applies mostly to the ones were there is no bullet hole which most definitely requires medical attention. But a pneumothorax can be caused by a lot of things.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    It's something that needs treatment, but it's down a few spots on the triage list. Not that you'll be ignored, but sucking chest wounds kinda take priority.

Top Bottom