• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    One of the better holsters for that one...
    cnicd_a115460.png

:yesway:

Kernal1984

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Scottsburg
    Looking good. I built something very similar with a 10.5 nitride upper. I still need to shoot it before it goes in the trunk. Nice score on that carry handle! They seem to be out of stock everywhere these days.

I don't know if carry handles became popular again or nobody wants em so they aren't carried as much at retailers but you can find takes offs on eBay for around $80, that's what I was looking at before I snagged mine.

Grass

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2016
    Hillsboro
    You are all correct in what you have in the truck. Like I have always said I would rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I've been thinking about using this crusty old Winchester. Just haven't thrown it in the truck yet.... Would prefer a rifle, but don't have the funds to put another one together right now.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    No school, like old school:

If you really, really need a truck gun, by the time you get your long gun deployed, you'll be greeted by St. Peter.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I've been thinking about using this crusty old Winchester. Just haven't thrown it in the truck yet.... Would prefer a rifle, but don't have the funds to put another one together right now.

Is that an original 1897?
    I don't know what kind of condition it's in, but if it's an original in excellent condition, its collector value would make it tough to risk scuffing up.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I don't know what kind of condition it's in, but if it's an original in excellent condition, its collector value would make it tough to risk scuffing up.

They made 1897s for 60 years and made over a million of them. They're not really worth a whole lot unless they're damn good condition, a trench gun, late production and safe to shoot, or super old. There's just a ton of them out there and not worth too much. But older guns go in cycles in terms of worth. It's like Model 12s being in a slump right now

It wouldn't be my choice in shotguns though, my luck I'd get my webbing pinched like a SOB

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Yes sir! 1909 to be exact. I wouldn't worry about scuffing this one up. When I got it, it looked like it was left outside in a barn for 80 years. Completely rusted up, pitted really bad. I de rusted it, replaced the broken pieces and made it work, then chopped it down. Action is rough, but it shoots. The finish you see is just rattle can so it didn't get all rusty again.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I bought a smith 642 for the sole purpose of a "truck gun", but had issues with the trigger rusting. While I picked the 642 for it's stainless properties, I didn't think about the non stainless portions of the gun. do you guys have rust issues with the AR pistols?

Nope...I just put a little oil on it, proclaim it is patina and I am good to go...:)

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    They made 1897s for 60 years and made over a million of them. They're not really worth a whole lot unless they're damn good condition, a trench gun, late production and safe to shoot, or super old. There's just a ton of them out there and not worth too much. But older guns go in cycles in terms of worth. It's like Model 12s being in a slump right now

It wouldn't be my choice in shotguns though, my luck I'd get my webbing pinched like a SOB

I get you on that, but I'll just mention that my dad (he's an auctioneer) sold a very beaten up 1897 at an auction in the 1980s for $800.
    I knew that those guns could sometimes be valuable, but I had no idea that a rough looking one with almost none of its original finish remaining could ever go that high, and clear back then!

Yes sir! 1909 to be exact. I wouldn't worry about scuffing this one up. When I got it, it looked like it was left outside in a barn for 80 years. Completely rusted up, pitted really bad. I de rusted it, replaced the broken pieces and made it work, then chopped it down. Action is rough, but it shoots. The finish you see is just rattle can so it didn't get all rusty again.

Yep, it's definitely a shooter only at this point.
    Maybe you could smooth it up with some fine emory cloth and some judicious polishing on the operating parts.
    That would certainly make it a much more viable defensive shotgun, and it would be really cool, especially considering the age of it.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Yep, it's definitely a shooter only at this point.
    Maybe you could smooth it up with some fine emory cloth and some judicious polishing on the operating parts.
    That would certainly make it a much more viable defensive shotgun, and it would be really cool, especially considering the age of it.
    That sounds like a snowed in winter day project, I'll add it to the other dozens of blizzard projects I have. ;)

No no hurry on that one, don't have a place to shoot it any longer, besides I don't know if my shoulder could handle it much. I'm not recoil shy, but damn if that thing isn't harsh.

Reverend Dreed

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2016
    new hope
    my truck gun is a circut judge loaded up with 4:10 slugs. carbine length for easy access and is shot shell or 45 lc capable in the same unit.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I get you on that, but I'll just mention that my dad (he's an auctioneer) sold a very beaten up 1897 at an auction in the 1980s for $800.
    I knew that those guns could sometimes be valuable, but I had no idea that a rough looking one with almost none of its original finish remaining could ever go that high, and clear back then!

If one sold for $800 in the 80s, then it had to be super rare, had to kill someone famous, or the guy was off his damn rocker and if he was the senile then, he's probably not alive anymore.

$800 for a beat to hell 1897..........dayum

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    If one sold for $800 in the 80s, then it had to be super rare, had to kill someone famous, or the guy was off his damn rocker and if he was the senile then, he's probably not alive anymore.

$800 for a beat to hell 1897..........dayum

Keep in mind here that this was an auction, so it's not good enough for only one guy to be willing to pay that much, as it requires at least two guys bidding in competition with each other to get it up that high in the first place.
    In this particular case, there were five or six different guys bidding for it.
    We were all surprised, but we also sold an M1 carbine for an absurd price (can't remember exactly what that one went for now), again with several guys competing for it.
    We all agreed that $800 for a model 12 in excellent condition even back then wouldn't have been a surprise.
    It's hard to believe that a half dozen guys all had a bad case of the stupids that day, so it must have had some collector value that we didn't know about.
    The auction was for a guy who had owned a gun shop, so maybe a lot of his former customers had come to his auction knowing about some of his own guns before.
    It's still strange, though.
    My brother only this summer auctioned off a Glock 21 for $700, admittedly with about twenty magazines that certainly sweetened the pot, but the gun was still used, albeit well cared for.
    At the same auction, he couldn't sell two model 12s in good condition for more than $250 each.
    Yeah, doesn't make sense.

Top Bottom