Trucks Blocking Lanes At Construction Merges, Is This Legal?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    It prevents d-bags from running at high speed right up to the lane closure then jumping line in front of everybody else who has waited, causing people who are moving to jump on their brakes and generally making the situation unsafe.

...because people are self-interested and let's be honest, do that all the freaking time.

I'm with you. I have no problem with it.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    One of my pet peeves when I was a LEO was people who drive down, in heavy traffic, the shoulder to get to an off-ramp. Whenever somebody passed me, in my squad, like that, I'd pull out and light them up. That was a ticket you couldn't talk yourself out of.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Would you also advise people not to repent early, but run at high speed down the sin lane and save repentance for when it's really necessary?

Why not? Show your work

straw-man-tactics.jpg

It's worth noting that I've seen several locations in IL and IN where there was a merge WAY out there, and there were signs, "USE BOTH LANES". Then finally a, "MERGE HERE" sign.

Simply make the rules and conventions explicit.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I get it, we should all be good little obedient citizens and merge into the lane that will stay open as soon as Big Brother who put the signs up tells us too. It is perfectly understandable to be outraged that someone exercised free thought and judgment to travel in an open lane until the merger is physically necessary. That person is an individual and individuals cannot be tolerated. Ignore the fact that if both lanes were filled and everyone merged where the merger is necessary (zipper merge) everyone gets through sooner. Ignore that. Compliance with the groupthink is more important than efficiency. That person is driving past you and that cannot be forgiven even if you and your fellow sheep, refusing to use both lanes, are the ones actually delaying things. No. Comply!

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Speaking from decades of real life driving experience pulling dbls around Ohio, Indiana, and NE ILL, while the waiting to merge for construction zone theory may look good on paper as the most expeditious method for all; I can definitely state there are too many other motorists that could give any part of a rat's body as to what is in the best interest of anyone but themselves and are unwilling, incapable, or whatever of allowing a larger vehicle to merge over in heavy traffic, thus by their own actions forcing what was deemed deplorable by this thread.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I get it, we should all be good little obedient citizens and merge into the lane that will stay open as soon as Big Brother who put the signs up tells us too. It is perfectly understandable to be outraged that someone exercised free thought and judgment to travel in an open lane until the merger is physically necessary. That person is an individual and individuals cannot be tolerated. Ignore the fact that if both lanes were filled and everyone merged where the merger is necessary (zipper merge) everyone gets through sooner. Ignore that. Compliance with the groupthink is more important than efficiency. That person is driving past you and that cannot be forgiven even if you and your fellow sheep, refusing to use both lanes, are the ones actually delaying things. No. Comply!

You're one of them aren't you?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Zipper merging is one of those acts that works beautifully and scientifically can be proven to reduce congestion. But it ONLY works if EVERYONE does it. And most people are ignorant of the study, so they continue to mix merge points and make life harder for everyone. It will only be resolved with changes in signage, as well as a massive PSA blitz teaching everyone about it.

I see this blocking MUCH less offensive than the dbag OTRs rolling 70 1/2 in a 70 in the passing lane taking 5 miles to pass another truck in the right lane.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    It is get beyond crazy that trucks are blocking lanes keeping the traffic from being able to zipper merge. Recently saw a miles long backup made several miles longer because about every half mile two trucks abreast blocked the road in some kind of vigilante traffic control. Sometimes they cannot find a partner to block with and they try to block the middle of the road. Surely a truck stopped with a half mile of clear roadway in front of them is creating an unsafe situation and by talking it upon themselves to control traffic, maybe committing reckless driving or some other violation.

Studies have shown that this blocking technique actually gets fewer cars per hour through the merge than if they just let traffic flow naturally.

Do you drive a BMW? Seriously, do you?

When there's a long backup, it's much more efficient to proceed single file through the obstruction, because people don't have to jocky for position thru the 'funnel'. If you're THAT guy that thinks he's better than everybody else who waits patiently, then yes, I assist the professional truckers in this technique every chance I get. I give them enough space to get in front of me any time they want, and flash my lights to let them know I'm cooperating. Someone thinks their time's more important than mine by jumping to the front, and forcing their way in, I've got only two words. Want to give the one finger salute, it works both ways, and best of luck to you. Have a great day.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I see this blocking MUCH less offensive than the dbag OTRs rolling 70 1/2 in a 70 in the passing lane taking 5 miles to pass another truck in the right lane.

Honestly until you've spent time being an OTR driver, you don't really understand. Trying to follow a truck that is going 1/2 mph slower than you over say 300 miles is mind numbing.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    It prevents d-bags from running at high speed right up to the lane closure then jumping line in front of everybody else who has waited, causing people who are moving to jump on their brakes and generally making the situation unsafe.

...because people are self-interested and let's be honest, do that all the freaking time.

If people filled the lanes to the merge point, there would be no lane to run up at high speed and no one would get in front of people waiting. The issue is actually caused by those applying kindergarten level fairness, in their minds, to an adult level situation. Use the lanes provided until the merge.

The efficiency of zipper merge is not just under perfect cooperation of drivers, human nature, similar to the affects of capitalism are also in play. Once the single lane long line forms everyone zones out on their phones, resting eyes, etc. Then gaps form as people are not ready to go when it is their turn to move, and the line grows longer and more inefficient. The zipper merge requires more attention and some competitiveness to keep your spot and thereby creating efficiency...

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Honestly until you've spent time being an OTR driver, you don't really understand. Trying to follow a truck that is going 1/2 mph slower than you over say 300 miles is mind numbing.

It sounds like we are going to have to agree to disagree.

I understand. But it doesnt make it right to obstruct 50+ cars piling up behind you.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Do you drive a BMW? Seriously, do you?

When there's a long backup, it's much more efficient to proceed single file through the obstruction, because people don't have to jocky for position thru the 'funnel'. If you're THAT guy that thinks he's better than everybody else who waits patiently, then yes, I assist the professional truckers in this technique every chance I get. I give them enough space to get in front of me any time they want, and flash my lights to let them know I'm cooperating. Someone thinks their time's more important than mine by jumping to the front, and forcing their way in, I've got only two words. Want to give the one finger salute, it works both ways, and best of luck to you. Have a great day.

It is not your right to block a lane intended for motorists use. If the lanes are used properly no one gets in front of anyone "patiently waiting". In this post you are being "that guy" by deciding all by yourself how other drivers get to use an open lane.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    One of my pet peeves when I was a LEO was people who drive down, in heavy traffic, the shoulder to get to an off-ramp. Whenever somebody passed me, in my squad, like that, I'd pull out and light them up. That was a ticket you couldn't talk yourself out of.

Did you ever "light them up" that were lane blocking and causing the backup to be several miles longer than it needed to be?

mmpsteve

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    If people filled the lanes to the merge point, there would be no lane to run up at high speed and no one would get in front of people waiting. The issue is actually caused by those applying kindergarten level fairness, in their minds, to an adult level situation. Use the lanes provided until the merge.

The efficiency of zipper merge is not just under perfect cooperation of drivers, human nature, similar to the affects of capitalism are also in play. Once the single lane long line forms everyone zones out on their phones, resting eyes, etc. Then gaps form as people are not ready to go when it is their turn to move, and the line grows longer and more inefficient. The zipper merge requires more attention and some competitiveness to keep your spot and thereby creating efficiency...

Except, you never see gaps at the point of the funnel. Any gaps behind that are immaterial, and cause no delay in reality, just in the minds of the impatient.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Let's just ban you humans from driving!
    You want to travel you get into a .Gov controlled car and enter in your destination. No worries about you causing accidents anymore. ;)

See problem solved.
    No amount of signage, media bliz will ever help.
    Humans are selfish creatures.
    Heck look at the thread on the mcd bigmac fight here on ingo for more proof. 2 cars in the double drive thru and one guy gets mad cause the other care went first and pulls out an ak.

Yup... cant solve humanity problems unless you do a thanos finger move.

mmpsteve

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    Let's just ban you humans from driving!
    You want to travel you get into a .Gov controlled car and enter in your destination. No worries about you causing accidents anymore. ;)

See problem solved.
    No amount of signage, media bliz will ever help.
    Humans are selfish creatures.
    Heck look at the thread on the mcd bigmac fight here on ingo for more proof. 2 cars in the double drive thru and one guy gets mad cause the other care went first and pulls out an ak.

Yup... cant solve humanity problems unless you do a thanos finger move.

Thought this thread showed promise, and then Jedi shows up. Aye, pink matey.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Now let’s discuss motorcycles lane splitting...

ill bring the popcorn

:xmad:
    If I had GOD like powers I would open the car/truck doors as said bike is cheating and going between cars so that the biker goes flying off the bike!

Bikers want to be treated like cars when on the road but as soon as there is traffic they pull that b.s.!!

See it all the time going/leaving chiraqi!

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Thought this thread showed promise, and then Jedi shows up. Aye, matee.

:p
    Our NWI INGO thread was burning today.
    Thus jedi has to cause trouble elsewhere.
    Now for you jedi is gonna recommend the DMV impose an added tax on your .Gov controller car because you are a gun owner and could possible be using said gun while in the car since you have nothing else to do while it's taking you to your location.

Matter of fact since you are a gun owner and say you type in amc theater and since amc theater is a gun free zone then cat will refuse to take you to said gfz. Oohh la la...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom