Trucks Blocking Lanes At Construction Merges, Is This Legal?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Except, you never see gaps at the point of the funnel. Any gaps behind that are immaterial, and cause no delay in reality, just in the minds of the impatient.

I will ask again, under what authority do you get the right to block an open lane there for motorists use?

What about negative affects on drivers that want to exit before the merge but the blocking is backing the line up 4 miles single lane instead of two miles double lane?

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    I will ask again, under what authority do you get the right to block an open lane there for motorists use?

What about negative affects on drivers that want to exit before the merge but the blocking is backing the line up 4 miles single lane instead of two miles double lane?

And I'll ask you again, do you drive a BMW (or Mercedes, same thing)?

First, the open lane is not an open lane; you're supposed to be merging.
    Second, the longer backup is what the shoulder is for. Even Kut said so. so ....

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

It has already been established that there is no legal authority to block lanes but it has also been established as to why they do it..
    So to argue this any further is just not worth the time.

Leave people to their own devices and a percentage will take advantage of others. It has always been so. It just seems that as I grow older this percentage has near doubled.

In this why does not the people who are screwing this up (construction and the folks calling the shots) do something to set the merge up in a better fashion. But even then there are those toilet dwellers that will screw that up.

Lets keep it civil people or I will close this thread.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Yep, I see no solution to this topic. Some people prefer to run all the way up til they HAVE to merge, others prefer to merge and follow the signs that’s posted for 5 miles saying “lane closed, merge”. I see this being a never ending argument with no solution.

But I gotta ask, were you late for work this morning or something? Seems like you’re very passionate about this topic today

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    You wanna see frustrated!

Slow truck passing another slow truck I get in the left lane waiting patiently for the slow poke drag race to be over. (Company drivers have no say in what speed the truck is governed)

Cars will get in the right lane and pass me and cut in front of me missing my bumper by inches ! ( I cannot even see the car over the hood)

Note: I usually have a 40,000 to 48,000 lbs. rolling donut of death CHAINED to the deck of the trailer!

Casual drivers often have near death experiences and never know it.

BTW
    My Kenworth is not governed top speed is 111 mph so you are not waiting behind me in order to pass.

I normally run 68 mph for fuel mileage 1400rpm.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    If truckers are going to block a lane in a merge they need to at LEAST be going close to the posted zone limit.
    Most of the time I see backups on the other side of the road they are poking around at about 20 mph with nobody in front of them for a 1/2 a mile.
    Stop that ****.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    If truckers are going to block a lane in a merge they need to at LEAST be going close to the posted zone limit.
    Most of the time I see backups on the other side of the road they are poking around at about 20 mph with nobody in front of them for a 1/2 a mile.
    Stop that ****.

The subject was backed up traffic and when to merge and trucks carrying out vigalante merging justice. Do you have an opinion about that, and are you mixing smelly ink again?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Zipper merging is one of those acts that works beautifully and scientifically can be proven to reduce congestion. But it ONLY works if EVERYONE does it. And most people are ignorant of the study, so they continue to mix merge points and make life harder for everyone. It will only be resolved with changes in signage, as well as a massive PSA blitz teaching everyone about it.

I see this blocking MUCH less offensive than the dbag OTRs rolling 70 1/2 in a 70 in the passing lane taking 5 miles to pass another truck in the right lane.

Exactly. It only works if everyone 1) knows the choreography, and 2) choose to cooperate, exactly as according to plan with no deviations.

Which never happens in actual traffic. People can cite the efficiency of "zipper merging" all they want, but it just doesn't work that way with real people. When some try to do it and others don't, what could otherwise be a smooth and steady flow of vehicles at 35-40 mph turns into an occasionally lurching parking lot full of irritated drivers.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    And I'll ask you again, do you drive a BMW (or Mercedes, same thing)?

First, the open lane is not an open lane; you're supposed to be merging.
    Second, the longer backup is what the shoulder is for. Even Kut said so. so ....

If the barricades are not blocking, the lane is open and any vehicle blocking is impeding traffic. Again where do you get your authority to block it?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom