Trucks Blocking Lanes At Construction Merges, Is This Legal?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Unless the truck has a sheriffs star or "police" on the door....
    john-cleese-no.gif

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    You wanna see frustrated!

Slow truck passing another slow truck I get in the left lane waiting patiently for the slow poke drag race to be over. (Company drivers have no say in what speed the truck is governed)

Cars will get in the right lane and pass me and cut in front of me missing my bumper by inches ! ( I cannot even see the car over the hood)

Note: I usually have a 40,000 to 48,000 lbs. rolling donut of death CHAINED to the deck of the trailer!

Casual drivers often have near death experiences and never know it.

BTW
    My Kenworth is not governed top speed is 111 mph so you are not waiting behind me in order to pass.

I normally run 68 mph for fuel mileage 1400rpm.

Your rolling doughnut of death reminds me of an ignorant phenomenon, mini van driving super moms, that would not leave the drive without every last safety belt fastened, not passing trucks like your, just sitting right next to you waiting on the chain or strap to snap or a tire to shred.

We try to keep time next to a truck, particularly a load of death strapped on a flat bed to the minimum...

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Do you drive a BMW? Seriously, do you?

When there's a long backup, it's much more efficient to proceed single file through the obstruction, because people don't have to jocky for position thru the 'funnel'. If you're THAT guy that thinks he's better than everybody else who waits patiently, then yes, I assist the professional truckers in this technique every chance I get. I give them enough space to get in front of me any time they want, and flash my lights to let them know I'm cooperating. Someone thinks their time's more important than mine by jumping to the front, and forcing their way in, I've got only two words. Want to give the one finger salute, it works both ways, and best of luck to you. Have a great day.

Do you drive a BMW? Maybe have IU plates?

I'll all about helping a trucker, but you've got the attitude of the left lane cruiser I followed to work, "No one needs to go faster than me."

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    This is a conversation than can't happen on a board. It needs to be in person. Maybe next weekend.

Yeah, not gonna convince me IRL either that your snails pace impeding traffic flow trumps the rest of traffic on the road. :)

You are not gonna win this one BT.....:):

But I am in your corner if he attacks..........:runaway:

It would be a dance fight. Get ready.

giphy.gif

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    One issue to consider is when exits are involved in urban settings: If slow moving convoy due to construction is reduced in length by even 1/3 by using both lanes, that means more cars can effectively get to their exits expeditiously, thus reducing the number of cars in the crawl.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Do you drive a BMW? Maybe have IU plates?

I'll all about helping a trucker, but you've got the attitude of the left lane cruiser I followed to work, "No one needs to go faster than me."

And you've got the attitude of the guy who trys to cut the line at Quikbux because I'm not standing ghey-close to the guy in front of me. I honed my skills early in Nassau County and I've got Hi-res cameras recording front and back, if you try that last second merge play on me it will end in tears (and you paying a lot of money)

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Your rolling doughnut of death reminds me of an ignorant phenomenon, mini van driving super moms, that would not leave the drive without every last safety belt fastened, not passing trucks like your, just sitting right next to you waiting on the chain or strap to snap or a tire to shred.

We try to keep time next to a truck, particularly a load of death strapped on a flat bed to the minimum...

This^^^^^ People that lose their nerve when they encounter the bow wave of turbulence coming off the tractor should stick to surface streets and leave limited access to the pros

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The vast majority of Hoosiers can't navigate through a roundabout correctly, why would anyone expect them to merge in a orderly fashion......:dunno:

Only because too few will admit publicly that the only rule governing their use is that the more aggressive driver always has the right of way.

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    Now let’s discuss motorcycles lane splitting...

ill bring the popcorn
    That was one of the few things I liked about Commifornia, was they allowed lane splitting. Not knowing any better I did it here on 465, got a few interesting reactions. I never liked being on the highway with me feet resting on the ground. Made my butt pucker.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    You guys who don't like people merging when the lane actually ends best stay away from Chicago. You'll all die of heart attacks in your fits of rage over the way they merge late there, and it doesn't have to be for construction.

If someone is having to slam on their brakes because someone is merging into the lane, then they are the issue not the person merging in. If they are keeping a safe distance behind the vehicle in front of you, then there should be plenty of room for someone to merge in. A simple short letting off of the gas should give them the appropriate gap once again with the newly merged car.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    That was one of the few things I liked about Commifornia, was they allowed lane splitting. Not knowing any better I did it here on 465, got a few interesting reactions. I never liked being on the highway with me feet resting on the ground. Made my butt pucker.

Ya, most people don’t understand it isn’t to save time, it’s to keep from being rear ended and killed. I don’t have a frame around me, so any wreck is potentially death. But I’ve only done it a few times to get away from some cell phone using soccer mom that thinks doing her makeup in traffic while gossiping about her child’s coach is acceptable in traffic

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    One issue to consider is when exits are involved in urban settings: If slow moving convoy due to construction is reduced in length by even 1/3 by using both lanes, that means more cars can effectively get to their exits expeditiously, thus reducing the number of cars in the crawl.
    Speaking of exits... Is it more or less efficient (for everyone involved) to get in the lane you will need to be in to exit (at full speed), say a mile before you get there, or to drive in the far left lane until your exit is about 50 yards ahead of you, come to a complete stop, then inch over a lane at a time at approximately 1-2 mph until you reach the exit? (Independent of construction - just in regular traffic conditions) If you follow the zipper merge logic, then your answer would be yes - drive as fast as you can until you are as close to the exit as you can be before merging over to get off at the exit. ;) I ask because I see people do this every day on my commute home. If you think having one or two lanes backed up by construction merges is bad, try 5 or 6 coming to a stop for absolutely no reason. :xmad:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    And you've got the attitude of the guy who trys to cut the line at Quikbux because I'm not standing ghey-close to the guy in front of me. I honed my skills early in Nassau County and I've got Hi-res cameras recording front and back, if you try that last second merge play on me it will end in tears (and you paying a lot of money)
    :chillpill:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom