Trucks Blocking Lanes At Construction Merges, Is This Legal?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Meh, I merge while there's still time and space left to do so safely. Douche bag demo driver floors it and tries to force his way into the already full up stream of traffic at the very end of the lane so he/she can shave .5 seconds off his/her already late commute because he/she's a douche bag who thinks the whole freaking world should wait on him/her . They also seem to think it's okay to force people off the road instead of waiting for a reasonable opening, like the world is their right of way. They should be left to sit in their lane until a reasonable opening creates itself...tomorrow maybe. The only problem these people are trying to solve is their own, the one they created is for everyone.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Meh, I merge while there's still time and space left to do so safely. Douche bag demo driver floors it and tries to force his way into the already full up stream of traffic at the very end of the lane so he/she can shave .5 seconds off his/her already late commute because he/she's a douche bag who thinks the whole freaking world should wait on him/her . They also seem to think it's okay to force people off the road instead of waiting for a reasonable opening, like the world is their right of way. They should be left to sit in their lane until a reasonable opening creates itself...tomorrow maybe. The only problem these people are trying to solve is their own, the one they created is for everyone.
    Ive got insurance, and I ain’t afraid to use it. No way that ******* is forcing his way in.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

Ive got insurance, and I ain’t afraid to use it. No way that ******* is forcing his way in.

It is supposed to be a merge. That means the two lanes join together in one.

This thread has been interesting in the self righteousness being expressed by the folks who, in their own mind, have decided how the merge works, with their own list of rules, and they get upset when other drivers don't want to follow their rules and use the open lane to where the merge is created by the state.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    It is supposed to be a merge. That means the two lanes join together in one.

This thread has been interesting in the self righteousness being expressed by the folks who, in their own mind, have decided how the merge works, with their own list of rules, and they get upset when other drivers don't want to follow their rules and use the open lane to where the merge is created by the state.
    And then there’s the reality of how it actually happens in real life, not the utopian dream of how it’s supposed to work.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Ingomike said:

Is the irony of your own self-righteousness about how, in your own mind, you've decided how the merge works with your own list of rules and get upset with other drives don't follow your rules, lost on you?

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    And then there’s the reality of how it actually happens in real life, not the utopian dream of how it’s supposed to work.

100% absolutely, positively this.

Theory and reality often differ...substantially.

Put another way, you ever seen your typical Hoosier negotiate a roundabout? Case closed.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

Agreed, it is a utopian dream to think that we will create a 4 mile long line of vehicles, before the merge point, in a single lane and no one will use the open lane. Just use the lanes to the merge point then no one can even get ahead of another vehicle. If the sign says merge right, a vehicle in the right lane does not have exclusive right of way because it is a merge and merging requires cooperation.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Is the irony of your own self-righteousness about how, in your own mind, you've decided how the merge works with your own list of rules and get upset with other drives don't follow your rules, lost on you?

I am not sanctimoniously blocking open lanes available for merging nor trying to impose rules that are not law on others. That is the topic of the thread.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I am not sanctimoniously blocking open lanes available for merging nor trying to impose rules that are not law on others. That is the topic of the thread.

At the risk of saying we are beating a dead horse here I do believe we are beating a dead horse.

What I have learned from this thread.

-People. The issue is people.
    -How to fix this issue.....People. The problem is with people.
    -Are these truckers breaking the current laws.....yes.
    -Do some of us appreciate what they are doing.....Yes
    -Does this action upset some of us......Yes
    -What can be done to correct this......People. The issue is with people.

Beyond this whats to be done here. I have put in a lot of windshield time in my life and have seen how "People" are becoming more and more self important and aggressive in traffic. Not every one but enough that you have to be aware. Add in the already mentioned self important soccer mom mini van driving ding bats and it is getting crazy out there. One of the reasons we sold our bikes.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    At the risk of saying we are beating a dead horse here I do believe we are beating a dead horse.

What I have learned from this thread.

-People. The issue is people.
    -How to fix this issue.....People. The problem is with people.
    -Are these truckers breaking the current laws.....yes.
    -Do some of us appreciate what they are doing.....Yes
    -Does this action upset some of us......Yes
    -What can be done to correct this......People. The issue is with people.

Beyond this whats to be done here. I have put in a lot of windshield time in my life and have seen how "People" are becoming more and more self important and aggressive in traffic. Not every one but enough that you have to be aware. Add in the already mentioned self important soccer mom mini van driving ding bats and it is getting crazy out there. One of the reasons we sold our bikes.

It was a fun thread! I have also learned that I am going to call my legislators, State Police, and Motor Carrier enforcement to ask that blocking behavior be enforced, might even make the state some money....

Thanks for all the great replies...

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I think in general, zipper merging is kind of like communism. It sounds good in theory. The problems arise when you introduce people to the equation. If everyone is of the same mindset, then it works. When's the last time that any large group of people were all of the exact same mindset?

As another example, race car drivers can drive at 200 mph mere inches away from the car in front of or beside them without hesitation. Why? Because all of the other drivers around them have the same skill sets (mostly) and have a certain level of trust and being able to predict what the other driver(s) are going to do. When one guy doesn't do what's predicted, you end up with "the big one" - a wreck in racing, a traffic jam on the highway.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I'll throw in a little history on possibly how this started. The older trucks, pre 1990's (and cars too) would overheat pretty easy on warm days while stuck in a 2 mph crawl. A truck in each lane would stop and let traffic get ahead enough so they could get up to speed for a short time and cool the engines down. Why the trucks? They were the ones with the CB radios and could set it up, along with the whole size thing.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom