Trucks Blocking Lanes At Construction Merges, Is This Legal?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    OK people. I guess you did not pay close enough attention. I am not playing with this crap anymore. Just not. State your opinions and suggestions in a civil manner or STFU.

Is that clear enough.....:dunno:

This thread will not go there.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Speaking of exits... Is it more or less efficient (for everyone involved) to get in the lane you will need to be in to exit (at full speed), say a mile before you get there, or to drive in the far left lane until your exit is about 50 yards ahead of you, come to a complete stop, then inch over a lane at a time at approximately 1-2 mph until you reach the exit? (Independent of construction - just in regular traffic conditions) If you follow the zipper merge logic, then your answer would be yes - drive as fast as you can until you are as close to the exit as you can be before merging over to get off at the exit. ;) I ask because I see people do this every day on my commute home. If you think having one or two lanes backed up by construction merges is bad, try 5 or 6 coming to a stop for absolutely no reason. :xmad:

I followed a guy like that - way too timid to merge unless there was ten car lengths open. Forced our into lane to halt, then every car behind me got over...

Zipper merging never involves one lane stopping (while the other moves quickly), or even being much over 5mph difference in speed when merging.

If you can see traffic is heavily congested, then yes, get to the necessary lane without being an ***hole.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    That was one of the few things I liked about Commifornia, was they allowed lane splitting. Not knowing any better I did it here on 465, got a few interesting reactions. I never liked being on the highway with me feet resting on the ground. Made my butt pucker.

My little one is stationed at 29 Palms,Ca. He rides a XR1200 Sportster like its supposed to be ridden. He talked about splitting lanes going back and forth to Pendleton in traffic***
    When we were done talking, I dont think hes splitting lane anymore.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    A traffic circle at Port Road in Jeffersonville is one of the most dangerous I have ever witnessed. It’s a three lane with 3 entrance points the one for port road is the outer lane and is clearly marked.
    50% of the time I will have to come to a dead stop because cars will pull out in front of me some will come to a dead stop and then look me in the eye in pull out. This is not even taking account the cars that wanna run up under the trailer in the traffic circle.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I am one of those that get over as soon as I am aware that there is a lane closure and then keep anyone from merging in front of me at the last second. I cheer on the shepherds of the highway that try to block the lane.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I keep my scooter's out of pinch points, and splitting while riding through sitting traffic, its all good until someone opens a door ....
    I've made it on the asphalt since 1975 without getting a rash, hopefully until I stop riding...

Fair enough, and glad to hear! Stay safe, it’s all the others that worry me when I ride.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I keep my scooter's out of pinch points, and splitting while riding through sitting traffic, its all good until someone opens a door ....
    I've made it on the asphalt since 1975 without getting a rash, hopefully until I stop riding...

We witnessed the door thing in sitting traffic and a group of Jappers came zinging through. Clown in the truck 2 up from us flung his door open....on purpose....and really messed that kid up. That really screwed up the traffic.

I am guilty of lane splitting as are many of the guys we rode with. Luckily no one was hurt/maimed/killed as everyone was more than good and luck was with us. This was mid 90's and Cell phones had not become the issues they are today. I would not do this in today's traffic.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    What the study does not show/tell is that it is a controlled study where ALL people are co-operating to merge. Any study/test can be manipulated if it is
    controlled. This does not work in real life circumstances.

This wouldn't be a problem if traffic merged over when notified to, traffic would smoothly flow, albeit slightly slower, but still flow. The problem is
    that those drivers who think they are more privileged and important than everyone else and run up to the absolutely last 20 feet to merge over creating
    that backup.

On more than one occasion during the severe road construction south and north of Lafayette on I65 when lanes had to merge to one, there was a state trooper
    motioning people off to the right and issuing tickets for disregarding lane end/merge signs, on more than one occasion I challenged a passenger vehicle to play that
    chicken game with me. Dash cam sitting there for my protection.

Hallelujah - Someone gets it. Plenty of time to MERGE Safely but drive 80MPH to cut off the Safe Drivers and Force the Slowed Traffic to Stop or Crash. Ticket? A Medal is in Order ;)

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Yep, I see no solution to this topic. Some people prefer to run all the way up til they HAVE to merge, others prefer to merge and follow the signs that’s posted for 5 miles saying “lane closed, merge”. I see this being a never ending argument with no solution.

But I gotta ask, were you late for work this morning or something? Seems like you’re very passionate about this topic today

Some people need to have to perform a constant start/stop in an 80000+ lb vehicle with a clutch/manual transmission, then they'll understand why two parallel trucks will set things up so they can crawl at a steady low speed rather than go through that. Problem is, I don't know any driver or company that could afford to let amateurs anywhere near the driver's seat in those conditions

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Dang it I forgot to tell him to wear something Saturday night fever/John Travolta-ish to the shoot.

Or something Zardozian:

QT6J5pt.jpg

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    OK, before this gets any worse and somebody gets banned, lets talk about something less inflammatory... Abortion. GO! :):

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom