• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I have one in my trash can I am trying to decide what to do with...

He/she was hiding in a plastic gutter pipe and I stuck one end in the trash can and put a little water in the other, when he ran to the end, I shook him in.

I used to kill these guys all the time, but this one is the first one this year, and I can't quite bring myself to do it... yet.

For now, he's safe and I gave him some bird seed to munch on.

Sarge470

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Dude, yer scary......Not that I haven't drowned the occasional chipmunk in a live trap (is that allowed?), but, unlike your cool detachment, it made me queasy.

Btw, will this work for zombies? Do brains or faces float?

After seeing literally dozens of dead humans from various causes and having several of them expire right in front of me, a drowning chipmunk is quite boring. I'm sure not the person I was 25 years ago....

LeeStreet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    South of Steuben Co.
    Delicious end res
    wol_error.gif
    This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 640x480 and weights 56KB.
    100_0226.jpg

Don't worry the hair burns off. The bacon seasons it just right, & makes it taste just like chicken.

Oliver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Delicious end res
    wol_error.gif
    This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 640x480 and weights 56KB.
    100_0226.jpg

Don't worry the hair burns off. The bacon seasons it just right, & makes it taste just like chicken.

First I was all....WTF!!! then I was well, the hair probably would burn off....Then I was ya know, they can't taste that bad...Then eventually: BACON!!!!! :rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot:

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    wol_error.gif
    100_0226.jpg

Wtf??? Uhhhhhh... You my friend have got some issues.... :):

Give you an A+ for creativity though! :cool:

LeeStreet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    South of Steuben Co.
    OK LEESTREET. You win. You scare me more than Sarge. Btw, do they need any Tabasco?

Since they taste like chicken, I just use Kraft Ranch Dressing for dipping, which brings more flavor out of ole chippy. BTW there is a stray cat that hangs around the house, & when it hears the 22 go off it thinks it's dinner time. Sometimes the cat beats me to the chipmunk. Oh well, outdoor cats are good to have around.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    Since they taste like chicken, I just use Kraft Ranch Dressing for dipping, which brings more flavor out of ole chippy. BTW there is a stray cat that hangs around the house, & when it hears the 22 go off it thinks it's dinner time. Sometimes the cat beats me to the chipmunk. Oh well, outdoor cats are good to have around.

If you happen to miss the chip and hit the *****, I hear they make fabuhluss flyin' machines....:D*

* ... = satire/sarcasm
    ..., it's the new purple...

Brown

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    Brownsburg
    The war continues here. tried the 5 gal bucket and sunflower seeds. did not work. using Rat poison now. They are chowing down on the strawberries!
    only wish I lived out of town so could just shoot them. oh the joys of subdivision living.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    My second story home office overlooking the back yard would make a great hide for a guy with an airgun. You'd probably just need to take the screen out of the window and keep the blinds lowered with just a little room at the bottom.

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    Here is a copy of my post I made a couple of months ago for another INGO member that had the same rodent issue. Follow it to the letter and I can assure you of positive results. :yesway:

BTW- I've gotten me three more just this past week, this year with said method below. It works!!

I have an inground swimming pool and have experienced the very same dilemma the O.P. is going through, so I know your plight! If you want a GAURANTEED, 100% EFFECTIVE way to get rid of ALL of them, (and having the personal satisfaction of ridding yourself of the little buggers) use a method I've used for myself over the last 3 years. Interested? Read on.... :cool:

1. First, find out where their "run patterns" are in your yard or on your property. It's likely you've already observed this..

2. Get a clean 5 gallon bucket and fill it about half-way full of water.

3. Place the bucket of water near, but not in the direct path of their regular "run patterns", so it peaks their interest.

4. Cut a wooden 2x4 about 3'-4' long and lay one end on topside edge of the bucket, favoring one side more than the other.

5. Cut a wooden broom handle about 2' long and lay that across the topside opening edge of the busket of water, keeping it perpendicular to the end of the 2x4. Make sure the broom handle can "roll" across the topside bucket edges easily when moved.

6. Go to the hardware store and buy a few packetts of pumpkin seeds. They're super cheap and available anywhere..

7. After you've washed your hands, lay a random trail of pumpkin seeds up the 2x4 as a "food trail"

8. Place a few more pumpkin seeds along the broom handle's length that's over the bucket's mouth, spacing them farther apart than what you did on the 2x4.

9. Pour a full packett of pumpkin seeds into the water, as they will float on top.

10. Set your fresh trap up for early morning or early evening and set back to watch the trap in action!

Here's how it works....

Chipmunks are seed foragers and they are always looking for fresh, juicy seeds to eat- especially in the Spring and even more so when they are trying to feed their young. They will eat just about any seed eagerly, but they just simply can't resist flavorful, plump, juicy pumpkin seeds!!!

They will be running their regular "run patterns" in the early morning or early evenings when it's cool, when they notice the wonderful buffet you've set up for them.. They will be delighted to follow your trail of seeds up the 2x4, as they pack their cheeks with more and more; then, they will look down into the water when they get to the top and discover they've hit the seed motherload!! They cannot resist their find and they'll try to hoard it to keep competitors from getting it. Their greed is their undoing!

Once they scamper onto the broom handle to get the last few seeds you placed there and in the water, the broom handle will spin over, they will lose their footing and they will fall into the water. Since they can't get over the tall sides of the inside of the bucket, nor can they climb out or swim for long, they will drown within minutes and the score will now be, Property Owner= 1 Ground Rats= 0!

Lather, rinse and repeat this as many times as necessary to re-gain control of them- but be prepared....if your property is really infested, you'll be really busy re-baiting and re-setting your traps!

*The key to 100% effectiveness of this method, is always use fresh seeds, keep the bucket clean and always re-fill with fresh water after each score.

I gaurantee you my gun collection that if you do this, you WILL win in the end! I nailed 11 of them in 5 weeks last year doing this and this Spring, I haven't seen a one yet!! :rockwoot:

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    My girlfriend who lives in the country has ZERO problem with chipmunks.

Her cat which is a tame once-feral cat is a chipmunk killing and eating machine!

I don't like cats in general, but this cat is a cool cat who earns his keep!

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I have one in my trash can I am trying to decide what to do with...

He/she was hiding in a plastic gutter pipe and I stuck one end in the trash can and put a little water in the other, when he ran to the end, I shook him in.

I used to kill these guys all the time, but this one is the first one this year, and I can't quite bring myself to do it... yet.

For now, he's safe and I gave him some bird seed to munch on.

Air rifle, use the barrel to pin against its chest, and no more chipmunk. My experience has been an instant kill, so it is relatively humane.

My vote is to send the little buggers a message. Catch one, sever its head, put it on a post near where they like to hang out.

Bucket trick works well, and I have had luck with regular old rat traps baited with peanut butter and sun flower seeds. Nothing beats nailing them with an air rifle though, it is a lot more fun.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2011
    only wish I lived out of town so could just shoot them. oh the joys of subdivision living.

you Could try to place food in the same spot for a couple days so they were use to being at the back door and seeing you.

You could put Sunflower seeds in a pile by the back patio door in the same spot you were feeding them, lay on the floor with a pellet gun, then just shoot them in the yard. No-one knows you're shooting since you're laying prone and it's not loud enough to disturb anyone. It's quick and seems less cruel then making them panic and drown in a bucket. If they are eating there the days before then it won't take long for them to come back to eat so you're not laying on the floor for hours.

If you use poison then make sure your pets aren't around or kids. You never know what is eating the poison when you're not outside watching it.

I borrowed a Cat for the backyard for a week and that also worked to keep them away. They went to the neighbors house then.

If you trap them live then make sure you take them far enough away that they won't make it back.

Good Luck :popcorn:

Top Bottom