• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    As I learned when riding a motorcycle, sometimes you need to ride in the left part of the lane to "be big" and prevent cars from passing in a dangerous situation.

Yeah, I was taught the same. Ride in the left wheel track to keep cars from creeping into your lane or not moving completely out of it when passing. It also keeps you out of the greasy middle of the lane. Though they are as greasy as they were in the old days.:)

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    As someone who has to endure all of the egotistical, arrogant, self righteous jerks riding 4 or more wide for miles with traffic backed up behind them, stopping in the middle of the road to chat, and blatantly
    disobeying every traffic sign in sight every year during the Hilly Hundred, I think this a wonderful idea.

joe138

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    Evidently no one has driven on 446 on a nice spring or fall day and been held to 10 mph because of a group of cyclists. I have no problem with them if they would just stay near the fog line and be courteous.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Evidently no one has driven on 446 on a nice spring or fall day and been held to 10 mph because of a group of cyclists. I have no problem with them if they would just stay near the fog line and be courteous.

I have. And while I get the appeal of a nice windy road through the trees for riding, when there are 10-20 bicycles causing a back up of big vehicles (motorhomes, trucks with trailers, etc.) heading to Monroe, it's really not an ideal situation, either for the bikers or for motorized traffic. Pull over. Let the motorized vehicles pass safely, then be on your merry way IMHO.

Now, if you can maintain a speed of 30 - 55 mph on 446 on your bicycle, then more power to ya! :yesway:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Plate’em AND tax’em. No reason fuel taxes should be used to pay for paint for extra lanes for them not stay in. Cyclists want to use the roads, pay to play, just like cars, motorcycles, trucks, etc. Nobody rides for free.

joe138

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    Plate’em AND tax’em. No reason fuel taxes should be used to pay for paint for extra lanes for them not stay in. Cyclists want to use the roads, pay to play, just like cars, motorcycles, trucks, etc. Nobody rides for free.[/QUOTE
    Good idea, even canoe's have to have a permit to be on state waters.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Evidently no one has driven on 446 on a nice spring or fall day and been held to 10 mph because of a group of cyclists.

Are you a doctor? Were you rushing to the hospital to save someone’s life? Why weren’t you on the interstate if you wanted to drive fast?

Plate’em AND tax’em. No reason fuel taxes should be used to pay for paint for extra lanes for them not stay in. Cyclists want to use the roads, pay to play, just like cars, motorcycles, trucks, etc. Nobody rides for free.

But I already pay more taxes than you do so why should I have to pay more to ride my bike?

mensajess

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Greenwood

That is NOT true. There are many many cyclists that refuse to share the road, regardless of dozens and dozens vehicles backed up behind them.

And there are even more motorists that refuse to share the road. The ******* cyclist slows you down, sorry. The ******* driver KILLS cyclists, sorry?

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    And there are even more motorists that refuse to share the road. The ******* cyclist slows you down, sorry. The ******* driver KILLS cyclists, sorry?

I've seen how cyclist ride and it is amazing that more of them are not killed given the abject stupidity and complete disregard for the laws of the road that so many of them ride with. To be sure there are a plenty of terrible drivers out there and it is often scary enough when in and at least somewhat protected by a real vehicle but when just like motorcyclists, you consciously choose to ride a vehicle that offers you little or no protection then you need to drive smarter, better and more aware if you want to make it home safely. There's simply no room for arrogance and entitlement when your margin for error is that small.

I'm not sure why anyone thinks that allowing let alone encouraging bikes incapable of maintaining safe speeds on roads with cars and trucks is a good idea. One thing we don't need is more laws though. It would be much better to simply not subsidize the bike nonsense in the first place.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    The fact we’re even arguing this amazes me (I know, that’s what INGO is all about in the winter).

If it were someone driving at 10-15mph with traffic jammed up a mile behind them, would you still be ok with it?

It’s simple. If you’re not capable of maintaining speed consistent with the flow of traffic, get out of the way of those that are. No need for additional laws or licensing, just move over and let motorists pass.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I will make sure there is loose gravel and grass clippings on the road in front of my house.

A-holes have no respect for the other people on the road. Smug ass weekender's who choose to live in some city choked cull-de-sac during the week and come down a act like A-holes in my stomping grounds. While their HOA puts up speed bumps, gates, grates, and camera's in their 1/8 acre lots

Does anyone not know how I feel about the 2 wheeler s that drive in Morgan and brown county. if so get a hold of me and I'll give you the unedited version

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    That is NOT true. There are many many cyclists that refuse to share the road, regardless of dozens and dozens vehicles backed up behind them.

I don't blame the cyclists at all. Far too many times I have watched a car pass a cyclist without changing lanes, and that is ridiculously dangerous for the cyclist. If I were to ride a bicycle on public streets, you'd better believe that I wouldn't be hugging the edge of the asphalt for a crappy driver to risk my life over his 5 minutes.

We let farmers run their equipment down the roads at 15 MPH, and cyclists are often going faster than that.

"Sharing the road" is not a euphemism for getting off the road so that faster traffic can pass you.

When it's safe to do so, faster traffic should pass slower traffic. And when it's not safe to do so, everyone just needs to be patient.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    We let farmers run their equipment down the roads at 15 MPH, and cyclists are often going faster than that.

Farmers are trying to make a living, . PLUSSSSSSSS they are part of the community they are driving in. I know the guys in the tractors and when I see them I make accommodations for them. They also do their best to drive after and before the school buses run. They understand that people are just trying to get to work and get their kids to Band/football/baseball/ect. practice.

I know lets get our tractors and drive around the neighborhoods in indy on the weekend. Just run around all day with no where to go and nothing to do. I'll keep the cab open and say its for my health. I don't get to see houses slammed into each other and piled in to every nook and cranny around Marion county.

Why doesn't the biking people get the 500 track opened for them on the weekend and they could health cycle their way around the oval all day and not put anybody at risk.

Why don't these HOA's put money aside for a bike track that's exclusive and off the road and let everybody give up 4ft of their lot for a biking trail. If that was more accessible then 2 wheelers could just stay in indy and enjoy their little canned existence.

I know there are trails being built for such things so instead of the biker group trying to force locals in morgan county to put up with their B.S. they should work hard to make Marion county the Bikers haven. Make trails so between every starbucks in indy with side runs to panera bread, and then throw in the cheesecake factory and you City dwellers would never have to leave the comfort of your cage.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I don't blame the cyclists at all. Far too many times I have watched a car pass a cyclist without changing lanes, and that is ridiculously dangerous for the cyclist. If I were to ride a bicycle on public streets, you'd better believe that I wouldn't be hugging the edge of the asphalt for a crappy driver to risk my life over his 5 minutes.

"Sharing the road" is not a euphemism for getting off the road so that faster traffic can pass you.

When it's safe to do so, faster traffic should pass slower traffic. And when it's not safe to do so, everyone just needs to be patient.
    The difference with farmers is that they appreciate other people’s time, and get out of the way ASAP for the most part. Cyclists, not the same in my experience. I don’t care if they make lanes, I just want them to plate and tax them just as they do every other mode of conveyance. It was stated that ev n kayaks and canoes have to ha e a permit, why not bicycles too?

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Great, all we need is more bicyclists in Brown County. Least I avoid Nashville. Maybe it means they'll repave some of the crappy roads

I knew a bicyclist, key word knew. Decided it was a good idea to blow through a stop sign...in Brown County....and got hit.

Last year a large group of cyclists were in super north Brown/really southern Johnson. Was at a 3 way, I got there first but was going to let them go because it was a safe assumption they weren't paying attention. One guy waved me through and had people of his group stop. I proceeded slowly knowing it's impossible for them all to pay attention. Then a smaller group came up, blew through the intersection and stop sign. I was able to stop luckily.....cause somehow it would have been my fault and the repair on the truck would have been on me

I've had to put up with country cruisers all my life. Miles of following them with no chance to get around and they're too stubborn to pull over for 5 seconds. When I've hauled firewood in the past and had a couple people behind me I've let them go around; it's a courtesy especially when getting around someone can be few and far between down here.

They want equal road rights? Pay taxes on their bikes to help maintain the roads and follow the same rules of the road you do when you're in a vehicle. Stop signs mean stop, give people the right away if you can't keep up with the flow of traffic and don't get pissy when you get passed cause you're going 25mph under the speed limit

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    The farmers are courteous and pull over as often as needed. The bike riders I have seen think they own the road. Some of them are going to find out what the expression you can be dead right means. Bike trails and text messaging on country roads yea that is a recipe for disaster. But some people have to learn things the hard way.

Top Bottom