• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    We let farmers run their equipment down the roads at 15 MPH, and cyclists are often going faster than that.

Farmers are trying to make a living, . PLUSSSSSSSS they are part of the community they are driving in. I know the guys in the tractors and when I see them I make accommodations for them. They also do their best to drive after and before the school buses run. They understand that people are just trying to get to work and get their kids to Band/football/baseball/ect. practice.

I know lets get our tractors and drive around the neighborhoods in indy on the weekend. Just run around all day with no where to go and nothing to do. I'll keep the cab open and say its for my health. I don't get to see houses slammed into each other and piled in to every nook and cranny around Marion county.

Why doesn't the biking people get the 500 track opened for them on the weekend and they could health cycle their way around the oval all day and not put anybody at risk.

Why don't these HOA's put money aside for a bike track that's exclusive and off the road and let everybody give up 4ft of their lot for a biking trail. If that was more accessible then 2 wheelers could just stay in indy and enjoy their little canned existence.

I know there are trails being built for such things so instead of the biker group trying to force locals in morgan county to put up with their B.S. they should work hard to make Marion county the Bikers haven. Make trails so between every starbucks in indy with side runs to panera bread, and then throw in the cheesecake factory and you City dwellers would never have to leave the comfort of your cage.

Plainfield has built beautiful bicycle trails though the whole town and connecting all the parks.... A**holes still ride in the street and block traffic.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    The difference with farmers is that they appreciate other people’s time, and get out of the way ASAP for the most part. Cyclists, not the same in my experience. I don’t care if they make lanes, I just want them to plate and tax them just as they do every other mode of conveyance. It was stated that ev n kayaks and canoes have to ha e a permit, why not bicycles too?

I see your point but more gov't never helps.

People seeing the problems they cause just so they can have their fun. AS shooters were all aware that weather we join a club or buy land we take measures to not interfere with other peoples lives.

I've got young driver's in my house and them hitting a bike is a very real threat. Both my kids are consciences citizens and would be haunted their whole life if they were in a "accident" where they hurt someone. If the one that got hurt was acting in a way that put them at a higher risk it wouldn't matter.

I'm sure everyone here has lost a friend, relative, associate, ect. to a road accident it's a whole left in your life. Why not respect everyone on the planet and don't put someone in the position to hurt you. For an unnecessary bike ride out of your county. Find a Safe place to ride. If you don't have a safe place Join a club and buy land and make your biking trails.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    The difference with farmers is that they appreciate other people’s time, and get out of the way ASAP for the most part. Cyclists, not the same in my experience. I don’t care if they make lanes, I just want them to plate and tax them just as they do every other mode of conveyance. It was stated that ev n kayaks and canoes have to ha e a permit, why not bicycles too?

Only in very limited circumstances do kayaks and canoes have to be licensed. I have 9 canoes and 20 kayaks; none of them have a boat registration. Horses and buggies don't have to be licensed, either.

But even if we want bicycle registration and taxation, that's a different discussion.

Farmers are trying to make a living, . PLUSSSSSSSS they are part of the community they are driving in. I know the guys in the tractors and when I see them I make accommodations for them. They also do their best to drive after and before the school buses run. They understand that people are just trying to get to work and get their kids to Band/football/baseball/ect. practice.

I know lets get our tractors and drive around the neighborhoods in indy on the weekend. Just run around all day with no where to go and nothing to do. I'll keep the cab open and say its for my health. I don't get to see houses slammed into each other and piled in to every nook and cranny around Marion county.

Why doesn't the biking people get the 500 track opened for them on the weekend and they could health cycle their way around the oval all day and not put anybody at risk.

If you want to drive your tractor through the city, you are welcome to. It's public roadways, so you can. And the rest of the public is allowed to use the public roadways in your neck of the woods.

The Indianapolis Motor Speedway is privately owned. It has no sensible bearing on this conversation.

Why don't these HOA's put money aside for a bike track that's exclusive and off the road and let everybody give up 4ft of their lot for a biking trail. If that was more accessible then 2 wheelers could just stay in indy and enjoy their little canned existence.

I know there are trails being built for such things so instead of the biker group trying to force locals in morgan county to put up with their B.S. they should work hard to make Marion county the Bikers haven. Make trails so between every starbucks in indy with side runs to panera bread, and then throw in the cheesecake factory and you City dwellers would never have to leave the comfort of your cage.

I'm sure everyone here has lost a friend, relative, associate, ect. to a road accident it's a whole left in your life. Why not respect everyone on the planet and don't put someone in the position to hurt you. For an unnecessary bike ride out of your county. Find a Safe place to ride. If you don't have a safe place Join a club and buy land and make your biking trails.

You are making a lot of unfounded assumptions. For one, many of us who are in favor of equal rights to use public spaces do already live in the country. I'm in rural Rush County; Morgan County has four times the population density that I'm used to, Johnson County has more than ten times as much, and even Brown County is more densely populated. So don't talk to me about "canned existence" and "city dwellers."

Two, lots of country people ride bicycles. I have them ride past my house regularly.

Three, just because you're in a car doesn't mean that you own the road. The arguments you are making against bicycles could be made by truck drivers against cars. Everyone has to share the road.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    But I already pay more taxes than you do so why should I have to pay more to ride my bike?

I pay lots of State and Federal income taxes, Indiana property taxes, sales tax, gas tax, license plates on my car...

So as a user of the road I have paid taxes for its construction and maintenance. I may have paid more than you in taxes for roads or less than you for taxes but we don't measure the privilege of using roads by how much you pay. Every cyclist I know also has a car and pays road taxes too.

Are you a doctor? Were you rushing to the hospital to save someone’s life?

So somebody has to be a DR. to drive the speed limit?

No, but the urgency of you having to get someplace fast is not life or death, unless you are a doctor or fireman or EMT...

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Only in very limited circumstances do kayaks and canoes have to be licensed. I have 9 canoes and 20 kayaks; none of them have a boat registration. Horses and buggies don't have to be licensed, either.

But even if we want bicycle registration and taxation, that's a different discussion.

If you want to drive your tractor through the city, you are welcome to. It's public roadways, so you can. And the rest of the public is allowed to use the public roadways in your neck of the woods.

The Indianapolis Motor Speedway is privately owned. It has no sensible bearing on this conversation.

You are making a lot of unfounded assumptions. For one, many of us who are in favor of equal rights to use public spaces do already live in the country. I'm in rural Rush County; Morgan County has four times the population density that I'm used to, Johnson County has more than ten times as much, and even Brown County is more densely populated. So don't talk to me about "canned existence" and "city dwellers."

Two, lots of country people ride bicycles. I have them ride past my house regularly.

Three, just because you're in a car doesn't mean that you own the road. The arguments you are making against bicycles could be made by truck drivers against cars. Everyone has to share the road.

OP was a trail from Indy to Seymour.

Equal right to the road so therefore use Equal applicable laws, Your bike should have 5mph bumpers, survive a 30mph head on crash, Ect. Ect. ECT. A bike is not Equal to a Vehicle, it is vastly unequal. The truck driver's had a point, Now your car's have a higher survivability rate against a truck crash. And the Truck/Car debate is a good example, Your bicycle's aren't allowed on 465/65/69/70 are they, Why is that??????????????

Thanks for making my point for me

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Man, oh man...

Everyone's in favor of rights, till it's something that bothers them personally. I suppose the key word in "mye riiites" is "my", if it's an activity I find annoying, **** your rights.

I like bike bike riding, but I don't ride on roads if I can help it - too many unsafe drivers.

And getting stuck behind a peloton sucks, but it's rare. Everyday I'm stuck behind someone driving slow.

It's just not worth getting that upset about.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

That works real well in areas where passing is possible but when you hit hilly or curvy terrain and they're 3 and 4 wide spilling over into the oncoming lane it becomes problematic. I encounter cyclists regularly during "the season" and it's safe to say that although not a majority a large number of them don't give a damn that their actions are holding others up. I speak as a victim of these actions and also as one of those pedaling happily thru the countryside that WILL get out of the way.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Some of my neighbors make a regular habit of using their horn to encourage cyclists to share the road. They say that the cyclists really don't like hearing the car horns at all. I wouldn't know myself, not one to ask for trouble.

mensajess

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Greenwood
    OP was a trail from Indy to Seymour.

Equal right to the road so therefore use Equal applicable laws, Your bike should have 5mph bumpers, survive a 30mph head on crash, Ect. Ect. ECT. A bike is not Equal to a Vehicle, it is vastly unequal. The truck driver's had a point, Now your car's have a higher survivability rate against a truck crash. And the Truck/Car debate is a good example, Your bicycle's aren't allowed on 465/65/69/70 are they, Why is that??????????????

Thanks for making my point for me

Show me a motorcycle that has to meet these standards. And paying for the damage my 17# bike and 155# body does to the roads? Have you ever seen a pothole on the monon trail?

mensajess

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Greenwood
    We let farmers run their equipment down the roads at 15 MPH, and cyclists are often going faster than that.

Farmers are trying to make a living, . PLUSSSSSSSS they are part of the community they are driving in.

So when I commute from my home in Greenwood to my day job in Indy and back, I'm NOT trying to make a living? Nor am I part of the community?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The mindless drivel in this thread is amazing.

Roads were first invented for bicycles, cyclists just are nice enough to let others use them.

Bicycles are by legal definition a vehicle and as such are granted all the rights, duties, and law that can be applicable.

Bicycles are legal to ride 2 abreast in Indiana.

Bicycles do not have any legal obligation to get out of your way.

There are no minimum speed limits.

Others have road rights including livestock.

You may pass a cyclist when safe to do so.

Most cyclists are insured by their homeowners policy.

If you are behind 20 cyclists and complain they did not stop at the sign, if they follow the law to the T you will get to go after the 21st complete stop.

If you harass a cyclist with your vehicle it is a threat, and they have the right of self defense against you.

Many cyclist are concealed carriers.

Top Bottom