• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    As usual, people being inconsiderate jerks is what drives others to try and pass laws to stop jerk-ish behavior. And there enough room on both sides of the argument for this to apply.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    The mindless drivel in this thread is amazing.

Roads were first invented for bicycles, cyclists just are nice enough to let others use them.

Bicycles are by legal definition a vehicle and as such are granted all the rights, duties, and law that can be applicable.

Bicycles are legal to ride 2 abreast in Indiana.

Bicycles do not have any legal obligation to get out of your way.

There are no minimum speed limits.

Others have road rights including livestock.

You may pass a cyclist when safe to do so.

Most cyclists are insured by their homeowners policy.

If you are behind 20 cyclists and complain they did not stop at the sign, if they follow the law to the T you will get to go after the 21st complete stop.

If you harass a cyclist with your vehicle it is a threat, and they have the right of self defense against you.

Many cyclist are concealed carriers.

Cyclists can legally pause or ride slowly in the middle of road just over the break of a hill or in the middle of a corner as well. Perhaps all of that information you just typed is of some comfort to them in the event that the natural and eventual result of doing so happens but I suspect not. Personally my concern is not with the cyclist riding stupidly it is with the motorist that is forced to make a split second decision on whether to risk a head on collision by passing, risk serious injury by running off the road, or to collide with the cyclist.

mensajess

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Greenwood
    Cyclists can legally pause or ride slowly in the middle of road just over the break of a hill or in the middle of a corner as well. Perhaps all of that information you just typed is of some comfort to them in the event that the natural and eventual result of doing so happens but I suspect not. Personally my concern is not with the cyclist riding stupidly it is with the motorist that is forced to make a split second decision on whether to risk a head on collision by passing, risk serious injury by running off the road, or to collide with the cyclist.

How is this any different than a car stopped in the middle of the road just over the break of a hill or in the middle of a corner?

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    How is this any different than a car stopped in the middle of the road just over the break of a hill or in the middle of a corner?
    :facepalm:

Well “mensa”, the cyclist is going to get smeared all over the road whereas the car is going to be rear ended... that’s how it’s different.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson

Normally, people have enough sense to not park cars in the middle of the road in such situations but were it to happen the driver that stupidly did so would at least have a chance of surviving an impact. The thing is though, the majority of motorists recognize that parking in that position is stupid. Many cyclist on the other hand seem to think that driving slowly in the middle of the road is a perfectly good idea and I've seen more than one stop in the middle of the road where oncoming drivers had little time to see them and react.

mensajess

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Greenwood

Well “mensa”, the cyclist is going to get smeared all over the road whereas the car is going to be rear ended... that’s how it’s different.

His concern was not for the stupid cyclist, but for the motorist faced with either a head-on collision, rearending, or ditch

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010

So in both cases the at-fault person is in a car?

Yeah, it's dangerous to ride a bike on roads. No more dangerous than going to a shooting range. We don't generally stop free people from living how they want just because some of their choices are dangerous.

The problem is the driver of the car, not the object that they hit. If a person can't pay attention to driving while he's driving, the solution isn't to restrict other people's actions. That person shouldn't be driving. They are dangerous to bicyclists, motorcyclists, pedestrians, other drivers, personal property, etc. That's not fixed by removing the cyclists.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Normally, people have enough sense to not park cars in the middle of the road in such situations

Hahaha!

I wholeheartedly disagree. My area still has wooden covered bridges, and I regularly come across people who are stopped on those bridges. On a bright sunny day, looking into that bridge is looking into pure darkness, and you can't see a thing. But people are hanging out there all the time.

If there's one thing we should all be agreeing on, its' that people do not have enough sense.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    His concern was not for the stupid cyclist, but for the motorist faced with either a head-on collision, rearending, or ditch

Being a car stopped on the hill/turn and not a cyclist takes the head-on collision choice off the table. With a cyclist, you might gamble on the head-on vs the near certainty of killing the cyclist.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    So in both cases the at-fault person is in a car?

Yeah, it's dangerous to ride a bike on roads. No more dangerous than going to a shooting range. We don't generally stop free people from living how they want just because some of their choices are dangerous.

The problem is the driver of the car, not the object that they hit. If a person can't pay attention to driving while he's driving, the solution isn't to restrict other people's actions. That person shouldn't be driving. They are dangerous to bicyclists, motorcyclists, pedestrians, other drivers, personal property, etc. That's not fixed by removing the cyclists.

Yet you don’t see campers setting up their tents the middle of the road.... Why not? It would be the driver’s fault if they got hit.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Lol, calls out mindless drivel.... follows it with mindless drivel.

Another one to the list.

Yet you don’t see campers setting up their tents the middle of the road.... Why not? It would be the driver’s fault if they got hit.

iKOlV.gif

Pretty sure this thread has now jumped the shark.

mensajess

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Greenwood
    This all reminds me of my nephews, 7 and 4. Sometimes they fight, sometimes 7 starts it, sometimes 4. Either way, 7 normally wins, cause his is bigger. Not better, just bigger and stronger. So we have to take him aside and tell him to take it easy on his little brother, yeah 4 started it or did something to deserve it, but being the bigger person also means looking out for the little guy.
    Somehow between 7 and 16 everyone seems to forget that. And suddenly you are in a car and everyone better get out of the way cause you are far more important, contribute more, have a family to get home to, etc.
    Yeah sometimes some cyclists do stupid things. That doesn't mean they all need held accountable for the actions of a few. It seems very similar to the rhetoric after every mass shooting, one person does something and suddenly its "ban guns" but we didn't do it.

So if I have personally slowed you down, I'm sorry. But don't take it out on someone else. If a Jimmy John's biker ran a red light downtown, don't run me off the country road.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    This will help.

[video=youtube;ZdDxjge5hmY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdDxjge5hmY[/video]
    Diesel dick being a diesel dick. Those riders were doing what they supposed to namely, getting out of the ****ing road. He just happened to accelerate later than needed to make the grade and be a diesel dick.

Top Bottom