US Navy Strike group moving to the Korean peninsula.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Just out of curiosity, what was the calibration on your Oscar Sierra scale? Is your 2 from 1993 equivalent to DEFCON 2?

My Oscar Sierra (excellent phonetic alphabet by the way) Scale hasn't been to PMEL in quite a while :laugh: OS-2 in 93 was more like THREATCON BRAVO today. That was more of an impact on families back home, especially with a crap-ton of TDY folks in the ROK (we had 1,100 show up at K-2 alone). Those of us stationed in the ROK were surprised it was only 75%. I told my wife they had just harvested the cabbage and now we could see them.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Weeeellllll here's a few thoughts on the norks:
    Is it really a ballistic missile test if it doesn't go ballistic or act like a missile??

It's hard to compare north korea (lower case since that's how the ROK does it) and Iraq. One way to look a it: imagine it's the year 2043 and Uday Hussein's kid is running things in Baghdad.

I don't think the ROK wants to get the norks back. They paid attention when Germany reunified, communism sucks.

In November 93 I was at Taegu Air Base when Peter Jennings announced that 75% of nork forces are on the DMZ. This was during the FOAL EAGLE (AKA FOUL CHICKEN) deployment. That caused some serious issues with families back home. Compared to what's going on now, November 93 was a 2 on the OH S**T scale.

They ROK military is VERY good. They are a conscription force so they don't operate like the US military. They are still VERY good.

We have LOTS of plans for war on the Korean Peninsula. All will be thrown out the window after first contact with the enemy. That's ok, plans are useless, planning is indispensable (General of the Army Dwight D. Eisenhower)

I was a young 28 year old SSgt when I was at K-2, I understood the serious nature of our mission in the ROK. As the years have passed I've understood it even more.

As I've said before, when F-15E Strike Eagles arrive in the ROK it' getting serious.

When the Flying Tigers (23rd Fighter Wing, 74th and 75th Fighter Squadrons, A-10s) land at Suwon Air Base (north of Osan, south of Seoul), that's when it's getting REALLY serious.

So, how many troops, are still on the ground,

I was told 8-10 years ago, that we kept 38,000 Soldiers,

"over there" ...... ( Soldiers means Mil., Personel) .....

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    It's just a shame all the Iowa Class battleships are too far gone. If the marines have to perform an amphibious landing, they will be missed.

Even still, those 16 inch shells would be perfect for messing with the North Invasion or not.

i can not believe that someone hasn't put the MLRS on a ship yet as a replacement.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    So, how many troops, are still on the ground,

I was told 8-10 years ago, that we kept 38,000 Soldiers,

"over there" ...... ( Soldiers means Mil., Personel) .....
    I think it's 28.5K. It seems like there was 31K-ish when 2ID pulled a (I'm wanting to say Battalion, maybe a Brigade since the numbers would be closer) back to CONUS maybe 2004-ish. USAF has been about the same levels since early 90s.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    It's just a shame all the Iowa Class battleships are too far gone. If the marines have to perform an amphibious landing, they will be missed.

Even still, those 16 inch shells would be perfect for messing with the North Invasion or not.

i can not believe that someone hasn't put the MLRS on a ship yet as a replacement.

Hopefully the Marines won't be coming ashore in Busan (formerly Pusan), things are going REALLY BAD at that point. I don't look for a June 1950 situation, but the first 72 hours will be pretty rough.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010

About thirty years ago there was a suggestion for off the shelf procurement, that ballistic trajectory launched dumb bombs with a solid booster and guidance package should be looked at. It would be about like shooting V-2's or SCUD's with precision targeting and extreme terminal velocity penetration. But of course turning a cargo ship into a mobile bombardment platform wasn't near sexy enough and not re-engineering a completely new weapons system just isn't the way things are actually done in Warshington.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    10r205t.jpg

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    All the people that were screaming that Obama meeting with Putin for a "reset" are now screaming about Trump meeting with Kim. (and Putin. Take your pic.)

That meeting is probably the best thing you can do to solve North Korea problem (well either diplomatic talk or military action).
    I'm with Trump on that one.
    Everybody is saying something needs to be done but nobody wants to meet Kim Jung Un.
    You can't just ignore him and expect him to behave.

Some people are also losing it because Trump said he would be "honored" to meet him. :rolleyes:
    There won't be any meeting if he calls him a "nutjob and a dictator". :dunno:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I think it VERY unlikely that China will allow Kim to meet with Trump. Were that meeting to happen, it would suggest a broadening of US interests into China's back yard. Literally, on their doorstep.

China very much prefers a Russian (really Soviet) model of "spheres of influence." If we had access to that sphere, they would see it as a significant threat.

A Chinese delegation may meet with the DPRK leadership, or an American delegation may meet with a Nork delegation at a neutral site, but I think a face-to-face between the 2 leaders to be very unlikely.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I think it VERY unlikely that China will allow Kim to meet with Trump. Were that meeting to happen, it would suggest a broadening of US interests into China's back yard. Literally, on their doorstep.

China very much prefers a Russian (really Soviet) model of "spheres of influence." If we had access to that sphere, they would see it as a significant threat.

A Chinese delegation may meet with the DPRK leadership, or an American delegation may meet with a Nork delegation at a neutral site, but I think a face-to-face between the 2 leaders to be very unlikely.

At the same time the DPRK is a burden for China.For decades they have been the only ones to deal with the DRPK, mainly to tell them to calm down.
    I'm sure China is glad the US is trying to have a diplomatic relationship with the DPRK.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    At the same time the DPRK is a burden for China.For decades they have been the only ones to deal with the DRPK, mainly to tell them to calm down.
    I'm sure China is glad the US is trying to have a diplomatic relationship with the DPRK.
    My friend, I am (politely) of the opposite opinion. :)

China is almost certainly NOT happy if we develop a diplomatic relationship with the DPRK. Granted, they do not want us shooting at each other. But, they also do not want us trading or negotiating regional policy together, bilaterally.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    My friend, I am (politely) of the opposite opinion. :)

China is almost certainly NOT happy if we develop a diplomatic relationship with the DPRK. Granted, they do not want us shooting at each other. But, they also do not want us trading or negotiating regional policy together, bilaterally.

Well I'm not expert on the situation.It's not like my opinion means a lot. :):

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Hmmm!
    I completed two tours in Korea during my 23 years.
    The 1st was 88-89 Camp Gary Owens 4/7 Cavalry 2nd tour was 99-00 at Camp Red Cloud in Division HQ.
    The North Koreans are nuts.
    The American superior firepower cannot be brought to bear in a close fight.
    The Koreans know this and will exploit that and every other weakness we have.
    The terrain is kinda like eastern Kentucky or Tennessee well suited to dismounted close up fighting.
    Four or five Army Divisions will be sent to Korea in the first few weeks along with a Marine Division.
    Massive National Guard and Reserve call ups that have not been seen since the 1st Korean War.
    Did you know that over 280 U.S. Soldiers have been killed on the DMZ since 1965?
    If you ever served north of the "bridge of no return" you will remember the Soldiers saluting and saying "Stands Alone"
    I will never forget the orders "move to your battle positions and D.I.P!
    Did I mention the North Koreans are NUTS ?

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    China is to assume the banner of globalist policemen.
    A force for good.
    This is their time.

Top Bottom