• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Also, part of the decision about the "Jewish State" was that the Palestinians decided to back Hitler and Nazi Germany.

Well, the Balfour declaration supported a Jewish state in Palestine, which would also accommodate non-Jewish residents. I think that even predates Hitler's near-miss in WWI.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    They don't control East Jerusalem and the Palestnians claim it's their capital as well.

Split it up officially and let each have their share of the pie. It worked for Berlin. :dunno:
    This is going to get crazy I can just tell.....:shady:

Not directed at any one member just hanging out and waiting.

Fire up the grill. There may be many cheeseburgers needed. LOL

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    This does help our relations with the one ally in the Middle East we have, after much harm inflicted by the previous administration.

It does nothing to really harm our relationship with any of the Arab states. The ones that really hate us do not need another reason. Their reasons for opposing us and Israel are not based on whether our embassy is in Tel Aviv or in Jerusalem. The Arabs that actually work with us but like to flaunt their Arab solidarity in public have happily used Israel as a whipping boy to cover their problems with the "Palestinians" and other malcontents in their own countries for decades. For years they have used support of terrorism against Israel as a way to give their troublesome Arabs something to do, otherwise the trouble makers might turn on their governments. The fact that the troublemakers have been spectacularly unsuccessful in bringing down Israel, and the realization that they are being played by their own governments has also fueled to the rise of al Qaeda and similar groups. The Islamic fundamentalists have realized they have to clean house in their own countries before they will be strong enough to overcome Israel and the rest of the world. Or they will have to get some nukes.

There will be some public tantrums by Arab governments for the cause of Arab solidarity for awhile, then the governments will get back to business, because they know Israel is not a threat to them. This has been true before the move to Jerusalem and will be true after, and when it changes it won't be cause of where we put the embassy. All the Arab states know that Iran is and will be a much bigger, more strategic threat right now than Israel ever was or will be, and it is a threat to Israel as well. Hence strategically Israel and Saudi Arabia and the Gulf states are all allies whether they like it or not.

This does not inflict any harm on any peace process that is alleged to exist. If peace really is closer than it was in 1948 or 1967 or whenever(a dubious proposition indeed, to put it kindly), it's because the Israelis defeated the Arab armies, not because we kept our embassy in Tel Aviv. There have been numerous chances for the "Palestinians" to have peace and have their own state, and to borrow from Abba Eban, they never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity. The goal for those who continue to attack Israel, both Sunni Palestinian and Iranian-sponsored Shiite, is a single state with no Jews in it. Period. There is no gainsaying that every "peace agreement" that the Palestinians (in particular) agreed to was simply for the opportunity to give them some breathing room to rebuild for the next campaign.

Right now is an excellent time to move the Embassy because

a) Yes it is disruptive. This phony peace process template that people have been following for years over and over does not work. So Blow It Up. Stop fooling with it. You won't be able to tell the difference, except that the Israelis can stop figuring out what other piece of land they have to give away or cede control over. Refuse to let Palestinian and (lately) Hezbolla terrorism force Israel to negotiate. Let Israel's campaign against them (and their own ineptness) force them to come up with a peace process for once.

b) Even if the Arab states really gave a crap about Jerusalem, there's not a lot they can do about it. The US is effectively energy independent (yea frackers!), and the Arab oil states are losing revenue. They are in no position to get feisty with the US about this, especially in light of c) below:

c) The Arab states are all scared ****less of Iran, and they know Iran is a true threat, to the very territorial integrity of the Gulf States, and the to KSA's own perceived leadership of the Muslim world -- not to mention to their oilfields. The Arab states actions are focused on Iran, our embassy in Jerusalem is a sideshow. Make some pronouncements, pound the table a couple times, and then get back to the real problem.

When 9/11 happened, the Arab states, especially the Gulf States, happily forked over space in their countries for the US to build (mostly air) bases on, or to expand existing facilities. Yes they had an interest in seeing al Quaeda like movements suppressed, but more strategically it would help bind the US to them to oppose the real enemy, and that was and is Iran. Not Israel. Shoot, one of the Arab-hosted bases I was at I got to drink Corona beer bottled in Israel. The whole bottle was printed in Hebrew except for the word "Corona."

And if Rex is not onboard with this, Trump should fire him. Immediately.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    The capital of a country/nation-state is a political issue, not a religious one.

Israel took (most of) Jerusalem and controls it. If they want to make it the capital, so be it. Same for Palestine.

But, it is our choice whether to recognize it. And put Americans there.

by "took" do you mean "took back"? I mean, going back 3000 years and all it seems as if they've been there a while

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I view our relationship with Israel important as in my view they are the largest source of human intelligence in the Middle East. They know things our spy satellite's can never see. Having a solid relationship means we are more likely to benefit from that intelligence.

IMHO, this is an Art of the Deal move. Make a big move, then use it as leverage. Trump has disrupted the dynamic, for not other reason than to disrupt the dynamic. I hope it pays off for him.

If it does, then indeed, he is the Ultimate Dealmaker. If it doesn't, then we are all likely to be worse off in the long run.

Like I said, if this creates a bargaining chip that didn't previously exist, and it pushes progress forward, then I'll be the first to applaud him.

I think this move is brilliant. Hold something in your hand that the Palestinians really want and are passionate about. One article said it would take four years to build. That is four years of negotiating, holding an important card in your hand and if part of a real peace deal is backing away from the Jerusalem embassy then simply change the sign outside from US Embassy to the Trump Peace Center.

I don't see how it really damages the Peace Process (what a joke currently and historically) beyond some countries getting butt hurt about something that does not really impact them directly (other than the terrorist they choose to allow into their country).

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    I see to remember reading somewhere, Israel was Palestine before 1948.
    This is the entire problem. The UN took away the country and real property of Palestinians to create a place for Jewish people to live after the holocaust ( No other country or countries would take all of the Jewish refugees displaced by Hitler's final solution.)

I read this a long time ago so my memory could be faulty.

No, Palestine was never a country, it’s a region.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    i and all the rest of the midwesterners demand our state midwestenstine! We'll take some of Illinois, some of Indiana, and some of Michigan. And half of Chicago. Give it to us or we'll lob rockets at you.

When a foreign power forces you off the land your family has physically occupied for countless generations I'm sure you'll harbor no ill will toward them later, too. After all their god told them the land belongs to them. No way that could be total bull****. None at all.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I saw a suggestion elsewhere that this fulfills prophecy. I am not aware of anything like that. Anyone else know?

Even if it doesn't, which it don't, someone will proclaim that it does soon enough and make millions from the book and speaker engagements.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Who, Israel? I'm still trying to figure out why we give all these concessions to Israel? They're not (nor any other nation) our govt's responsibility. Our responsibility is to our own people, and this move put us at risk.

Zionism?

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    The capital of a country/nation-state is a political issue, not a religious one.

Israel took (most of) Jerusalem and controls it. If they want to make it the capital, so be it. Same for Palestine.

But, it is our choice whether to recognize it. And put Americans there.

Are there other countries where our embassy is not where the nationally recognized capital is?

Your first statement is wishful thinking in this instance. Ask a Jew why the capital should be in Jerusalem and if the answer had nothing to do with religion bring them to the Brockway pub. First round is on me.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    When a foreign power forces you off the land your family has physically occupied for countless generations I'm sure you'll harbor no ill will toward them later, too. After all their god told them the land belongs to them. No way that could be total bull****. None at all.

Right back atcha. Wait which country are we talking about?

HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    The reason Truman was the first leader to recognize Israel as a country in 1948 was based on his understanding of the Bible. We should be pro-Israel because the Bible is pro-Israel. God promised to bless those that blessed Abraham and curse those that cursed him.

I think we've had a pretty good run since '48. Coincidence? I don't believe so. I'd rather have God (back) on our side then some murderous cult.

caverjamie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Dubois Co.

True that they have reason to harbor ill will. But what point in history would you like to recreate? This same story has been told countless times - same story, different names. Some of the former occupants of that land don't seem to understand they lost the war. Israel could explain it to them more clearly and with less restraint. Who are we to judge anyway, we are just as guilty of similar actions in our own history.

As for whether or not God actually gave that land to them - well, it appears they are currently residing on it one way or the other. Perhaps some of their neighbors will decide to try (again) to remove them, maybe they will have better luck next time...but I doubt it.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    Every presidential candidate for the last 30 years has made this as a campaign promises,and we finally get one who keeps the promise.I think they will be pizzed for a time,but they also know where his line is in the dirt.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Are there other countries where our embassy is not where the nationally recognized capital is?

Your first statement is wishful thinking in this instance. Ask a Jew why the capital should be in Jerusalem and if the answer had nothing to do with religion bring them to the Brockway pub. First round is on me.

Berlin-Bonn... Embassy not moved back to Berlin until after the Cold War.
    Amsterdam-Hague

Lwright

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2017
    Indianapolis
    It is awesome that we have a president that keeps his word on stuff like this. The Capitol of Israel is Jerusalem, the fact that we wouldn't recognize it before is just stupid. Israel won the land back and made it their capitol and, as one of our allies, we should respect that.

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County
    I see to remember reading somewhere, Israel was Palestine before 1948.
    This is the entire problem. The UN took away the country and real property of Palestinians to create a place for Jewish people to live after the holocaust ( No other country or countries would take all of the Jewish refugees displaced by Hitler's final solution.)

I read this a long time ago so my memory could be faulty.

The term Palestine is rarely used in the Old Testament, and when it is, it refers specifically to the southwestern coastal area of Israel occupied by the Philistines. It is a translation of the Hebrew word “Pelesheth.” The term is never used to refer to the whole land occupied by Israel. Before Israel occupied the land, it would be generally accurate to say that the southwestern coastal area was called Philistia (the Way of the Philistines, or Palestine), while the central highlands were called Canaan. Both the Canaanites and the Philistines had disappeared as distinct peoples at least by the time of the Babylonian Captivity of Judea (586 B.C.), and they no longer exist.

Top Bottom