• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Why shouldn't they? The right-wing media spent the better part of a decade floating lies about Obama as a "legitimate tactic" to undermine his presidency. Do you think the left going to sit silently in the corner now that it's their turn to play defense? I don't. I think they'll use tactics that have already worked against them. Things like endless investigations into the presidents past dealings, or absurd and dishonest messaging used to derail legitimate conversation.

Trump and the right have no room to complain about their treatment...they spent deecades earning it.

What right wing media are you referring to my friend. Fox is about it and maybe some blogs but the media machine is left owned/driven for the most part.
    Obama's antics were largely overlooked or spun into rainbows and puppy dogs by a complicate media machine. He was not attacked at any level even near what Trump is getting. Nothing even close. I am not a Trumper. I am on the fence with this entire thing. Just calling them as I see them.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    This is my understanding as well.
    Seems that when POTUS actually follows through on promises folks freak the hell out.

Israel will always go back to the British Mandate for its formal border claims as it existed in May 1948 when the Mandate ended and the British left sparking the 1948-1949 Arab-Israeli War. The rest of the region will always go back to the 1949 cease-fire armistice that ended that war regarding the West Bank and Gaza Strip for border claims. Both regions will remain in dispute in the minds of many in the Middle East until the end of time.

John

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Christian Science Monitor take on the topic:
    https://www.csmonitor.com/1984/0620/062011.html

The US embassy in the Netherlands is in the Hague; the Dutch capital is Amsterdam. There are good reasons for that, just like there were (are) good reasons for not having the US embassy in Jerusalem.

In terms of "all" of us being affected, this is a YUGE international issue. Those kinds of repercussions could impact (pardon the pun) all of us.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    If recognizing the reality on the ground destroys our relationship with other nations, well, it wasn't much of a relationship. More like hooking up

Wait.

The reality was that our embassy was in Tel Aviv for legitimate reasons.

We are now ignoring that reality?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Christian Science Monitor take on the topic:
    https://www.csmonitor.com/1984/0620/062011.html

The US embassy in the Netherlands is in the Hague; the Dutch capital is Amsterdam. There are good reasons for that, just like there were (are) good reasons for not having the US embassy in Jerusalem.

In terms of "all" of us being affected, this is a YUGE international issue. Those kinds of repercussions could impact (pardon the pun) all of us.
    Do we recognize Amsterdam as the capital of the Netherlands?

I don't have much issue with recognizing Jerusalem as the capital of Israel. They are free to decide where their capital is, and other countries not recognizing that decision is stupid.

I am not really so fond of the idea of building a new embassy there. I think it is a big waste of money we do not have.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Why shouldn’t the US help God’s chosen people?

Why not? Have you ever wondered what would happen if the most powerful country in the world let God’s chosen people fall?

l8ppcrV.gif

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    This has certainly twisted up some panties on people that I like to dislike, so I am fer it.

While that is solid interpersonal dynamics, it becomes a problem when it is the basis of our foreign policy. ;) :)

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Why not? Have you ever wondered what would happen if the most powerful country in the world let God’s chosen people fall?

I think we may have confused "the Nation of Israel" (i.e. God's Chosen People) with "the political state of Israel".

Granted I don't know enough about the situation or all the full details of the history (I probably know as much as Trump does), however, I would hazard a guess to believe that the leaders of Israel care more about commonality, history, tradition, etc. than monotheism.

In other words, Judaism is more about who they are, and less about who they worship.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The capital of a country/nation-state is a political issue, not a religious one.

Israel took (most of) Jerusalem and controls it. If they want to make it the capital, so be it. Same for Palestine.

But, it is our choice whether to recognize it. And put Americans there.

Isn't Tel Aviv a safer, more pleasant place to live? Anyone think the folks in the embassy are shaking their collective heads?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Isn't Tel Aviv a safer, more pleasant place to live? Anyone think the folks in the embassy are shaking their collective heads?

I have never been to that area, but I believe the assertion that Tel Aviv is safer is accurate.

To see the silver lining, the embassy staff will probably be entitled to hazard pay bonuses in Jerusalem.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I have never been to that area, but I believe the assertion that Tel Aviv is safer is accurate.

To see the silver lining, the embassy staff will probably be entitled to hazard pay bonuses in Jerusalem.

No more trips to beach for them. :(

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    While that is solid interpersonal dynamics, it becomes a problem when it is the basis of our foreign policy. ;) :)

Really? Twist it to be panty twist foreign policy.

How about the US Government has promised to do this for 50 some years but we now hav a President with the intesitinal fortitude to do the right thing.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    A much better question is why didn't Bill Clinton do it? After all, the law was passed during his administration and he signed it.

Top Bottom