• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    All the more reason for better trainers! Clearly they're not doing as good a job of it as they used to.

(Although, I tend to discount the "more scrutiny because of Trump" because I - like you guys, I suspect - tend to watch for these kind of stories, and it feels like there's been more of them recently. There may be a bit of truth to how much airtime they are getting, though.)

HA! :)

Personally, I think many (most?) young people would be better able to hand adulthood with at least some military training. Part of me would be very interested in an Israeli or Korean style system of mandated service. But, most of me remains small-gov't, pro-freedom so I don't really think it is a good idea.

I think making more people go in, would dilute the money available for training and equipment.
    There is a BIG advantage in concentrating our money on those.
    Also, many of those forced in, would find some desk job somewhere, work a 40 hour week, then strut around.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    All the more reason for better trainers! Clearly they're not doing as good a job of it as they used to.

(Although, I tend to discount the "more scrutiny because of Trump" because I - like you guys, I suspect - tend to watch for these kind of stories, and it feels like there's been more of them recently. There may be a bit of truth to how much airtime they are getting, though.)

HA! :)

Personally, I think many (most?) young people would be better able to hand adulthood with at least some military training. Part of me would be very interested in an Israeli or Korean style system of mandated service. But, most of me remains small-gov't, pro-freedom so I don't really think it is a good idea.

The last two accidents have been very serious. There were several fatalities in one and very likely this latest one also. They should be closely scrutinized as this represents American lives and a lot of American treasure. I just wish the people who opine about these situations actually knew something about them. Some Air Force wingnut talking about USN surface ships doing inshore navigation can contact avoidance just makes me grind my teeth. I know mom and pop America are listening as if he is spewing forth the Gospel. If you want to ask an expert then find an actual effort. Some civilian that has spent his entire adult life driving a desk in the Pentagon can only have expertise in driving a desk in the Pentagon.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Even the most dedicated professionals suffer from fatigue. When you've had maybe two hours sleep in the last twenty four and you get off watch in an hour it can become really hard to concentrate.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Con-Nav, we have Contact Master 27 has altered course 10 degrees.
    Master 27's CPA (closest point of approach) is now 10 nautical miles.

Con-Sonar, we have reevaluated Contact Master 27.
    Contact Master 27 is now designated warship. Master 27 is a Gorshkov frigate.

(A "Master" contact, is a contact held by multiple sources. Radar, visual, sonar)

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Con-Nav, we have Contact Master 27 has altered course 10 degrees.
    Master 27's CPA (closest point of approach) is now 10 nautical miles.

Con-Sonar, we have reevaluated Contact Master 27.
    Contact Master 27 is now designated warship. Master 27 is a Gorshkov frigate.

(A "Master" contact, is a contact held by multiple sources. Radar, visual, sonar)

crap. Now I'm having flashbacks.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Also, when wondering why ships can collide, look at how many cars are in accidents driving 10 miles from home.
    What would happen if you drove that car 24 hours a day?

Then, your workday went like this
    (copied from FB)
    A typical day in the life of a Sailor on USS NEVER DOCK:
    First you have to woof down breakfast, because your relief was ten minutes late in relieving you.
    Then you have to zoom down to berthing, to shower and shave, and then don your service dress white uniform for the inspection at quarters....
    As you climb up the ladder, the ship rolls, and your right hand finds the only dirty spot on MVHC Station #11.
    Then the ship rolls again, and your right hand dirties up your sparkling dress white jumper.
    Then you get a down check at the inspection.
    After the inspection, you change back into your working uniform.
    Then you go to your work center, and learn that you and FN Flangehead are to perform a PMS check on the aft whirlydd%+&
    Then you have to find the PMS Card.
    Then you have to find the required tools and lubricant.
    Then you have to find the Hazmat Locker Czar, because the lubricant cannot be stored in your work center.
    Then you have to initiate a tag-out.
    Then you have to hang all the Danger Tags.
    Then you have to place the tag out sheet back in the tag out log.
    Then you have to remove the aft whirlyda#$%*@ chain cover, so you can lubricate the chain.
    Then as you try to re-install the chain cover, the cover slips out our greasy hand, and as Murphy’s Law would dictate, the cover falls and breaks the chain speed sensor.
    Then you decide that all petroleum products are a bane to your existence.
    Then you have to find the Work Center Supervisor, to tell him about the broken speed sensor.
    Then you have to find the technical manual.
    Then you have to find the manufacturer’s code and part number.
    Then you have to cross reference the manufacture’s part number to the applicable NSN.
    Then you have to cross reference the NSN to the APL number.
    Then you have to find the applicable EIC.
    Then you have to find an unused SNAP II Terminal.
    Then you have to write up a job to replace the aft whirlyd#$@%&* chain speed sensor.
    Then you have to write up the job again, because the 3MC decided to take the system down for a data print out.
    Then you have to wait in line at the Supply Support Center.
    Then you give the NSN to the Storekeeper, and request a stock check.
    Then the SK tells you that not only it isn’t carried, it isn’t even listed.
    Then you have to find the duty head.
    Then you have to find the Division Officer, so he can initiate a CASREP.
    Then you have to get chewed out by the Chief, because you took too [bleep]ing long and because you broke the aft whirlyd&$#%@&!
    Then you have to get ready for the next watch.

If it is like in the Army, your morning would begin after your after-hours training yesterday on whatever burning issue had come down from on high, based on whatever stupid thing someone did somewhere.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    If it is like in the Army, your morning would begin after your after-hours training yesterday on whatever burning issue had come down from on high, based on whatever stupid thing someone did somewhere.

I don't know about surface ships.
    On a sub at sea, there is no morning.
    No revele, no taps.

Only things not 24 hour'd....
    drills "usually" don't happen on midwatch.... "usually".
    Field day (big cleaning by EVERYONE) happens on days.
    Department and Division training happens on Mondays after breakfast.
    And there is no sun to tell you if it's AM or PM.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I don't know about surface ships.
    On a sub at sea, there is no morning.
    No revele, no taps.

Only things not 24 hour'd....
    drills "usually" don't happen on midwatch.... "usually".
    Field day (big cleaning by EVERYONE) happens on days.
    Department and Division training happens on Mondays after breakfast.
    And there is no sun to tell you if it's AM or PM.

On a surface ship it depends on your job. As an OS I spent many years on 6 on 6 off watches and working during the day. Drills are always during you "off" hours so you get no sleep. Although watches are on local time all of our systems and all of our traffic are on Zulu time and you really don't know what time of day it is unless you stop and think about it. I can't count the number of times I have walked outside and been surprised by either sunlight or darkness when I didn't expect it.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    On a surface ship it depends on your job. As an OS I spent many years on 6 on 6 off watches and working during the day. Drills are always during you "off" hours so you get no sleep. Although watches are on local time all of our systems and all of our traffic are on Zulu time and you really don't know what time of day it is unless you stop and think about it. I can't count the number of times I have walked outside and been surprised by either sunlight or darkness when I didn't expect it.

Walking outside was rarely a problem for me.

And, time for me to go to bed. Goodnight.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    The one common thread among anyone who stands watches on ships at sea is fatigue. It is ever present and effects everyone to some degree.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Birds and Act, I am pleased to have your perspective. I was Army and am glad that I was not Navy (as I planned when I was a teen).

It is hilarious to read some of the posts on here. My favorite was the one about how tough college was.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    For the record, the college quip was a joke. I was born a Navy brat and know what its like to live that lifestyle. I also figured out that it wasn't in the cards for me (although in retrospect, I would have benefited from it).

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Thank you for your service.

I too feel that military service is a great help in helping young men learn to cope with the intricacies of adulthood. I know it did me.

I have learned a lot in this thread, thanks to you and Act.

It is hard to hate rust pickin', deck swabbin', stinkin', cracker Jack, squids when you get to know them.

Top Bottom