• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    I never really smoked addictively, but I was hooked on the smokeless and vaping got me off that.

I know a lot of people who have successfully put down tobacco with vaping and many who have failed with vaping. IME, the failures usually come from using the wrong equipment like the cheaper cartomizers, disposables, and such. If you're going to try this, give yourself the best chance. Go to a vaping store (such as PVI on West Washington) and get a clearomizer and battery setup like a Kanger Protank II mini and Kanger Vision spinner. That setup will cost you about $35 but after that you just need to buy juice and the occasional replacement coil. I usually spend about $12 every two weeks on juice. Compared to $3/day on snus, that's a huge savings.

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    I've had to go into an insurance office for a mouth swab before for insurance to test for tobacco use.

STATE employee here, We save $40 per pay (bi-weekly) to sign a non-tobacco use agreement.
    Random mouth swabs for nicotine, Fail, and our fired on the spot if you signed the no tobacco agreement

While I find that slightly excessive and sort of like "the man" telling me what I can do I am kind of grateful as well. I did my open enrollment in November of 2013 and signed an agreement saying that I would be tobacco free effective January 1, 2014. On December 31, 2013 I had my last pinch of Copenhagen.

I am grateful they did it because $80 a month was motivation enough for me. I damn sure wont try to get one by them because its not worth my job.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Vaping=Trading the devil for a witch.

Not so, if done correctly you start at 18mg of nicotine for said amount of time and then go to a lower amount of say 12mg then 6mg and then 0 till you've weaned yourself off completely. I agree some people do it as a substitute without a goal in mind of quiting. I'm not one of those people and WILL QUIT.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    I've been vaping for about 1 1/2 years. I have smoke a few regular cigs in that time. My problem is that when ever I decrease the nic level I get major cravings. I'm currently at 6mg nic juice but when I try 3mg I get major cravings. I think part of it is that when stepping down the nicotine level the throat hit decrease enough that I don't feel like I'm doing anything but vaping air.

One area of concern with vaping is having no idea of what people could be putting in the juice that is premade. I was using some from a reputable company and I started to get a severe sore neck and shoulders. I went to the doctor a few times and had some testing done with everything coming back normal. Then one day I started to make a coloration between the sore neck and the amount I vaped the previous day. I decided to switch juice and sure enough the sore neck went away. I've researched this until I'm blue in the face and I cannot find a reason why this certain brand effected me this way.

Also now that I have switch brands of juice to resolve the sore neck I now get the clogged ear feeling in only 1 ear. I also had a case a severe tinnitus for about 2 months off and on. I went to an ENT and she wanted to do an MRI but I think it is vaping related as it all started when I decreased my nicotine level to 6mg and ended up vaping a lot more. I haven't had the tinnitus in a couple months but do get the clogged ear feeling off and on with decreased hearing in that ear. If I try real hard to keep my vaping amount in check it seems the clogged ear feeling goes away. After the holidays I'm going to work on quitting the vape and hopefully the issues go away.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Doctor after a C.T. scan because of a broken rib: You have some spots in your lungs that concern me
    Me: Really?
    Doc: Have you ever smoked?
    Me: Used to for over 30 years
    Doc: How long ago did you quit?
    Me: About 30 seconds ago
    Haven't smoked in the past 7 months since that moment. No patches, vaping nothing. Waiting for the follow up scan from yesterday. Either all in or all out for me. Half measures availed me nothing.

Bob

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    of course vaping and mod collecting can be as bad a habit as gun collecting...

vapelair1_zps809791f5.jpg

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    I am grateful they did it because $80 a month was motivation enough for me. I damn sure wont try to get one by them because its not worth my job.

More than that when you toss in the tobacco cost.

Doctor after a C.T. scan because of a broken rib: You have some spots in your lungs that concern me
    Me: Really?

That is what it takes. You need to have that moment of I have had enough. No more. I hope the spots were nothing.

My wife had trouble with a blood clot. It went all the way to the toe. First thing Doctor said was are you a smoker. She said yea. He said number 1 reason for blood clots. She has been smoke free for 2 years now.

cheese

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    Granger
    Tried it to quit and the only thing that worked for me was going cold turkey. Every time I would drink I'd just bum smokes when my vale died

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    ^^^THIS^^^

I always said that I would "quit tomorrow" then tomorrow came. I have been diagnosed with Stage 4 Lung Cancer. The doctors say I have less than a year with treatment. I have lost 30 lbs in the past month because swallowing food disgusts me, and a half and my voice is shot. Good thing I got Jesus, huh? :yesway: :)

Folks.......QUIT----just QUIT!!! Too many people count on you to be around.

Be blessed--Be a blessing!

Since we lost goinggreyfast yesterday, I thought it fitting to bump this post.

radar44

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    noblesville
    Wife tried vaping to quit smoking , and now does both .
    The best way to quit is to quit . I personally know that it can be done .

It sucks for a little while , but it can be done .

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Quitting smoking for many, is as easy as losing weight for others... Maybe that helps put it into perspective.
    It can be a terribly difficult thing to do.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Have been Vaping for three weeks now and haven't touched a stinky since. I wasn't smoking a lot, but I have not had one since. If you start vaping to quit the best thing you can do is find some juice that is near or equal to the amount of nicotine you were getting with the cigs. This will help A LOT.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Have been Vaping for three weeks now and haven't touched a stinky since. I wasn't smoking a lot, but I have not had one since. If you start vaping to quit the best thing you can do is find some juice that is near or equal to the amount of nicotine you were getting with the cigs. This will help A LOT.

Good for you! I am proud of you. Hang in there. You can get off the vaping too. The best success story's seem to be the ones that quit cold turkey! Best of luck to you.

I have held the hand of 3 people while they died from respiratory problems. It's not a good way to go.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    As I have said before, when I started vaping, it wasn't with the intention of quitting cigs, but that was the result. I went over 3 years vaping at 24mg strength. In the past several weeks, I have decided its time to start cutting back. I switched from 24 to 18 for a few weeks without noticing much difference. Then I went from 18 to 12. I am noticing the difference but tolerating it ok. My goal is zero. After that I will obviously need to evaluate if it is still worth doing at all.

PaulJF

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2010
    Linden
    I have been vaping for over a year now. I tried one cigarette in that time and couldn't stand it. I think this year will be this year to quit completely .

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Been vaping for a year this month? It works for me. I can vape for $.30 a day vs $5.00 for smokes. I'll probably eventually quit, but I'm in no hurry, I enjoy it.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    Been vaping for 1.5 years. It made it pretty easy to quit smoking. I started out using 18mg nic and went to 12 right away with no issues. Around 6 months ago went from 12mg to 6mg which was challenging. in the last month I went to 3mg which wasn't too bad and now for the last week I've been at zero. All in all the 12mg to 6mg was the hardest part. Now I just need to stop it all together and be over the habit that I've had for 20 years!

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I need to quit bad. I have been smoking for 30 years....and luckily they say my lungs are in good shape, but I know it can't help matters and is expensive.

Just wondering....when you vape,can you still get the tobacco flavor? The taste and smell is what I will miss......call me crazy but I love the taste.

Top Bottom