• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Good luck when you do that then as you can expect a 1st degree murder charge as well...

It went from a possible good shoot to a bad one in less then a second, you cannot shoot someone all the way to the ground, rounds bouncing off the ground are not going to help your case.

10 seconds, to be more precise. First grouping of shots were fine. It's that shot nearly 10-12 seconds later that makes it wrong.

Listening to radio tonight, they were saying a lot of information is going to come out about the victim... he was on PCP at the time, he has a checkered past, etc...

In previous police involved shootings between white cops and black suspects... many of them were justified. "Hands up, Don't shoot" comes to mind.

This, though... this was absolutely overkill. I don't care about the dude's past or what drugs he was on. He was not a threat, and a cop shot him, regardless, 10 seconds after he was subdued. I think the situation will be muddied in court and "Murder" won't stick... but the cop is definitely going to jail.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    10 seconds, to be more precise. First grouping of shots were fine. It's that shot nearly 10-12 seconds later that makes it wrong.

Listening to radio tonight, they were saying a lot of information is going to come out about the victim... he was on PCP at the time, he has a checkered past, etc...

In previous police involved shootings between white cops and black suspects... many of them were justified. "Hands up, Don't shoot" comes to mind.

This, though... this was absolutely overkill. I don't care about the dude's past or what drugs he was on. He was not a threat, and a cop shot him, regardless, 10 seconds after he was subdued. I think the situation will be muddied in court and "Murder" won't stick... but the cop is definitely going to jail.
    Illinois version of manslaughter is called second degree murder...

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.

Wow, thanks for making me watch it again, I though the suspect was just moving after being shot on the ground, wasn't until I watched it 3-4 times that I realized he was actually STILL being shot, damn!

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Initially, I thought that was a hard exhalation (was it a cold night?) but not so sure now after watching it a few times. I wish I could hear the audio and determine exactly when the first shot was fired because it seemed (from his body posture as he fell) that he suffered a CNS / spinal hit very early on.
    If on PCP, he really almost had to have been spined early on.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Maybe it was just the version of the video I watched and/or my computer but I didn't have any kind of audio? What was the initial reason for the call?

Police responded to a call of "man with a knife". He was probably just gonna peal some potatoes. Cop over reacted.

Edit: Added needed purple.

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Police responded to a call of "man with a knife". He was probably just gonna peal some potatoes. Cop over reacted.

I won't say that. When the kid spins, there no way to know if he's intending on attacking or not. BUT there IS a point when after the threat is incapacitated, you stop shooting. If the kid had a gun, then maybe you can possibly justify putting that many rounds in a person, but he had a knife. I'm thinking the other officers probably couldn't believe what they were seeing.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I won't say that. When the kid spins, there no way to know if he's intending on attacking or not. BUT there IS a point when after the threat is incapacitated, you stop shooting. If the kid had a gun, then maybe you can possibly justify putting that many rounds in a person, but he had a knife. I'm thinking the other officers probably couldn't believe what they were seeing.

I should have put some purple in there. I just didn't want to lose sight of the fact that the knife was the reason for the call. It all could have been avoided. And I am not making excuses for the cops stupidity either.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.

The officer standing beside the shooting cop jumped when he started firing.

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    I just watched the video a couple times. I don't think he should have been shot. It didn't seem to me that he was lunging towards someone. If he had a gun in his hand I would say he should have been shot. I will watch again in the morning when I can turn up the volume, everyone in the house is sleeping.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I just watched the video a couple times. I don't think he should have been shot. It didn't seem to me that he was lunging towards someone. If he had a gun in his hand I would say he should have been shot. I will watch again in the morning when I can turn up the volume, everyone in the house is sleeping.

An erratic man with a knife, lunging near an officer shouldn't be shot? What should be done then? They can't rush him... tackle him... take him down... all dangerous due to the knife.

Tazer? I dunno, maybe. Maybe they didn't have those at the ready, or expected him to abide by the gun and not lunge with a knife.

You pull a knife on me, you will be shot. The follow-up shots, however, would require some real stretching of the imagination to create a "threat".

The first shot(s) were good. The follow-ups were very bad.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I've heard people in the media say the kid should not have been shot because he was running way. That doesn't make sense to me. What if he stabs someone after he flees? Wouldn't law enforcement be held responsible for the negligence of not stopping the guy?

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    I've heard people in the media say the kid should not have been shot because he was running way. That doesn't make sense to me. What if he stabs someone after he flees? Wouldn't law enforcement be held responsible for the negligence of not stopping the guy?
    No, there is a bunch of caselaw that LE doesn't have a duty to protect and qualified immunity is an additional hurdle that is likely insurmountable.

Top Bottom