• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    First shot, eh, acting erratically with an edged weapon in that proximity to officers, yeah, I can live with that. It becomes excessive though, and well outside any reaction time issues. It looks like a shot kicks up dust about 12 seconds after he goes down. There is ZERO reason to shoot that long at a downed suspect with a contact weapon. If he was still moving and had a pistol in his hand, again, I can live with that. A knife, though? No. Maintain standoff and wait him out. If he wants medical help he'll drop the knife. Or he'll pass out, then close.

Possibly good shoot turned into a definitely bad shoot.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I honestly don't think it really matters all that much if a Dem or Repub is in charge. NYC has had multiple republican mayors...

And Indy has had both recently and I didn't see much seething going on here under either.

Maybe we clan blame the welfare state? Or millennials. Don't see as much millennial blame these days. Oh, hipsters. It's hipsters.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    In Illinois 2nd degree murder is always a lesser included. Look at the burden shifting language and the fact that the state has to prove the elements of first-degree to get a conviction for first or 2nd degree.

Since the defense has to prove a mitigator by preponderance, second degree is not a charge really ever filed in Illinois except in really weird circumstances since the state has to prove the same elements for 1st degree and second. 2nd degree is basically manslaughter, but with a burden shift.

https://www.chicagocriminallawyer.com/practice-areas/murder/
    It is completely and fundamentally different from Indiana's murder statute.
    That's why I'm no lawyer. You lost me at "In" ;)

funeralweb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I
    That's why I'm no lawyer. You lost me at "In" ;)

...and the previous posts in this thread is why I'd not have a lengthy LE career. Turning in my academy app with a nickel-sized shot group in the middle of the page would probably end my career. That cop is screwed for killing a perp on PCP, skipping down a street/highway, high on 'dust, with a knife in one hand and the other hand in a pocket, known to LE with a checkered past. MSM shows a pic of him wearing a cap and gown so we must assume he was also a scholarly lad, probably planning to turn his life around the very next day until he became a lead receptacle. Jesse Jackson finally spoke publicly about a life being snuffed out in Chi-town, thanks to a killing that best fits the narrative of his ilk but when the dust settles, Mrs. O'Leary's cow and the fire it caused will still reign as the most destructive event in the city's history.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Look at the Tribune today:

CUon5sSXIAA8Dz2.jpg:large

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I wonder if we'll get a Presidential lecture about this.

Maybe since it's Obama's buddy and Obama's hometown he won't think the victim could have been his son. :S

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    And Indy has had both recently and I didn't see much seething going on here under either.

The City of Indianapolis had a Republican Mayor who suppressed evidence in the case of a white cop shooting an African-American suspect for a year?

Do tell.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    this take is so hot it could melt steel beams

zZ9IxXh.png

I'm sure he believes all of those "victims" were quietly minding their own business when the police gunned them down. Nothing more to the story, just randomly killed by the police. Were probably at a concert or hotel, just like Paris or Mali. I can see the comparison now!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Strange but I don't remember that being the premise of your first post on the matter. I recall it being racism and violence?

Why are Democrat-run cities such seething cauldrons of racism and violence?

The City of Indianapolis had a Republican Mayor who suppressed evidence in the case of a white cop shooting an African-American suspect for a year?

Do tell.

You just have to speak Kirk Code. I like to call it Kode for short, it's a big time saver. This is Kode for "you called me on my BS, so now I need to redefine the parameters to avoid saying, yeah, that was some BS."

Should have just taken the out and blamed it on hipsters.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Apparently dude should have watched The Untouchables before he PCP'ed up and went for a walk...

[video=youtube;3qQ17UnJk_Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qQ17UnJk_Y[/video]

I think anyone on PCP, wielding a knife, walking down a public street should be vaporized. Any color, creed or faith...I'm not picky.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Apparently dude should have watched The Untouchables before he PCP'ed up and went for a walk...

[video=youtube;3qQ17UnJk_Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qQ17UnJk_Y[/video]

I think anyone on PCP, wielding a knife, walking down a public street should be vaporized. Any color, creed or faith...I'm not picky.

I think you missed the "communicating/posing a threat part."

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I won't say that. When the kid spins, there no way to know if he's intending on attacking or not. BUT there IS a point when after the threat is incapacitated, you stop shooting. If the kid had a gun, then maybe you can possibly justify putting that many rounds in a person, but he had a knife. I'm thinking the other officers probably couldn't believe what they were seeing.

He spins because he's in the process of getting shot.

An erratic man with a knife, lunging near an officer shouldn't be shot? What should be done then? They can't rush him... tackle him... take him down... all dangerous due to the knife.

Tazer? I dunno, maybe. Maybe they didn't have those at the ready, or expected him to abide by the gun and not lunge with a knife.

You pull a knife on me, you will be shot. The follow-up shots, however, would require some real stretching of the imagination to create a "threat".

The first shot(s) were good. The follow-ups were very bad.

Lunging near an officer? He was veering away when shot. Which caused him to jerk and spin which may have appeared to have him beginning a lunge.

First shot, eh, acting erratically with an edged weapon in that proximity to officers, yeah, I can live with that. It becomes excessive though, and well outside any reaction time issues. It looks like a shot kicks up dust about 12 seconds after he goes down. There is ZERO reason to shoot that long at a downed suspect with a contact weapon. If he was still moving and had a pistol in his hand, again, I can live with that. A knife, though? No. Maintain standoff and wait him out. If he wants medical help he'll drop the knife. Or he'll pass out, then close.

Possibly good shoot turned into a definitely bad shoot.

In that proximity and heading away from?

You can and be justified, not saying that was the case here but never say never.

I agree it can be justified. Here is one instance where I think it was more than justified. And I love the Sheriff's answer.
    Florida Police Shot Suspected Cop Killer 68 Times | Fox News

But I have one question not regarding the shooting. The officer who's dashcam caught it, on the way there he was manually swinging his spot light back and forth. Is that common? Taught? I've never seen anything like it so I'm wondering.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Looked like the cop shot a dirtbag. So what...
    Was he following the commands? Were his hands in his pockets? Did he just try to keep walking past them?

As for shooting him again while he was down, we don't have that camera angle to see what really happened. Did the cop know what kind of weapon he had? Was he still fumbling around with his hands? Maybe he was aiming the knife at the cop. :n00b:
    Hindsight is great for armchair quarterbacking but we weren't there and we didn't see what they saw. At the time, the cops had no idea what all this guy had on him.

The ONLY reason Chicago is protesting is because the dead dirtbag is Black. If he was a drugged out, knife wielding, uncooperative dead white guy, it would have never made the news.

#DruggedOutKnifeWieldingUncooperativeDeadWhiteGuysLivesMatter Too :):

Top Bottom