• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    That's even worse than I imagined. Threatening to commit Murder? An "execution" to use the officer's own description?

Could be steroids but likely just job frustration coupled with a bad day. I have some personal experience with this kind of police reaction.

This is the box that the "duty to notify" statutes put citizens in. If you are not aggressive in your notification because of your own mannerisms or if the officers have multiple issues to deal with and you do not want to interrupt, then you find yourself in trouble because of a subjective time limit of the officer. At least he had the carry license in his hand and tried to blurt out notice when the officer approached, but the driver was nervous and stammered and wasted time.

The driver ran his mouth too much and got the officer even more angry once the officer realized that he overreacted and needed to provoke the driver into arguing with him to create a cover story (usually "intimidation" or "resisting").

If you are in a state with a silly law such as Ohio's statute, one needs to remain calm and state what you need to state. I would do it twice (in stressful situation people do not hear optimally).

If you drive across Ohio (as I do) you need to remember that this scenario is a possibility for you until this foolish law is abolished. Remain calm, have witnesses, and after you notify them, shut up.

csmith

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Clinton county
    That has to be one of the most outrageous things I have ever seen. I think the driver keep his cool pretty well. I'm not sure how I would react in a situation where I was being threatened like that.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Wow.

Driver could've probably been more direct in disclosing (which is a silly law IMNSHO), but... just... wow. Once the officer reacted that way, creating that situation, there's really not much good that can come from it.

I'm also wondering what the probable cause was for the search of the back passenger area. The minimal detention to investigate the prostitution is reasonable, I think. But, unless they saw some indication of contraband, that's not a good search, I don't think.

Then, obviously... it goes downhill from there....

And ultimately, the taxpayers of Canton (and its insurance company) will end up paying for the officer's decisions.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Wow!!!

there was excessive force on the LEO's part there is no question about that.

Why the defendant didn't attempt to inform while the LEO was in the back seat is unknown. But there did appear to be ample time at that point.

Why the defendant allowed the LEO to search his vehicle with consent is also unknown. The passengers were not the owners of the vehicle then they cannot give consent to search the vehicle since the owner of the vehicle is present.

This is why vague laws are bad and why some Leo's give teh majority a bad rep. Because only this stuff makes the news.

I am still shocked this video didn't have an "accident."

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Why the defendant didn't attempt to inform while the LEO was in the back seat is unknown. But there did appear to be ample time at that point.

Why the defendant allowed the LEO to search his vehicle with consent is also unknown. The passengers were not the owners of the vehicle then they cannot give consent to search the vehicle since the owner of the vehicle is present.

With how unprofessionally aggressive the LEO was being, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that the driver was afraid to say ANYTHING, let alone try to refuse consent to search. In fact, the few times he DID try to respond, the officer shut him up, cursing at him, manhandling him, and calling him a liar.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Indy East Side
    Is there any way we can get the local news stations to broadcast this story? Completely unnecessary use of force!:xmad: I'm not saying the guy was up to any good, but come on. Just arrest him for soliciting prostitution.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The page is not down but the link to the dashcam video is gone and now replaced with the usual "this is against our department's policy" statement.

Sure it is. It's always against department policy, but somehow it keeps happening. Over and over. All over the country.

Or maybe they meant the part about them getting caught is against policy.

BrownDog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    It appears that the good folk at the Canton Police dept took their Facebook page down. I wonder why?

It's back up with a statement from Police Chief Dean McKimm.

"I want to assure our citizens that the behavior, as demonstrated in this video, is wholly unacceptable and in complete contradiction to the professional standards we demand of our officers. As such, appropriate steps were placed in motion as dictated by our standards, policies and contractual obligations. Those steps included: The officer immediately being relieved of all duty. The incident has been referred to the Internal Affairs Bureau for what will be a complete and thorough investigation. As bad as the video indicates our officer's actions were, there is a due process procedure to follow. That process is designed in the best interest of both our employees and the citizens at large. That process will be followed in this case as in all others. Anyone shown to be in violation of our rules and regulations will be help appropriately responsible as dictated by all the facts. ~Chief Dean McKimm

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Hmm. Makes you think about the possibilities of cutting together a video, complete with music and autotune, showing Ohio Fail vs. Oceanside win.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Im usually not phased by most of the things posted on here as far as encounters with police while carrying. But whoa that is just downright scary and criminal if that is actually how it went down.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    It's back up with a statement from Police Chief Dean McKimm.

"I want to assure our citizens that the behavior, as demonstrated in this video, is wholly unacceptable and in complete contradiction to the professional standards we demand of our officers. As such, appropriate steps were placed in motion as dictated by our standards, policies and contractual obligations. Those steps included: The officer immediately being relieved of all duty. The incident has been referred to the Internal Affairs Bureau for what will be a complete and thorough investigation. As bad as the video indicates our officer's actions were, there is a due process procedure to follow. That process is designed in the best interest of both our employees and the citizens at large. That process will be followed in this case as in all others. Anyone shown to be in violation of our rules and regulations will be help appropriately responsible as dictated by all the facts. ~Chief Dean McKimm

I reposted the link to the video... we need to keep it active on their Facebook page.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Indy East Side
    I went ahead and like the page so I could post...

"After the investigation is complete, and it really shouldn't take that long given the evidence, being relieved of duty should NOT be the only consequence here. Appalling action from what should be "stand up" member of public safety."

Top Bottom