• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    With how unprofessionally aggressive the LEO was being, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that the driver was afraid to say ANYTHING, let alone try to refuse consent to search. In fact, the few times he DID try to respond, the officer shut him up, cursing at him, manhandling him, and calling him a liar.

Not disagreeing with you at all. Just stating my observations.

I also think the defendant talked to much, but this is just my :twocents:

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    The Citizen tried several times to "Inform", even had the CCW in his hand, but was told to shut up. It was a no-win situation.

If the Officer in question is that freaked out by Citizens that carry, in a State that has a "Duty to Inform" law, can you imagine him in Indiana??

Also, do I recall correctly that there was a case where a citizen was pulled over in Ohio, handed the Officer his License and CCW, but was still charged with Failure to Inform because he didnt do so verbally?

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    The actions of the officers were way over the line, I think we can all agree on that.

But I have a question for the people that say that he had plenty of oportunities to inform, and this is serious not an attempt to start an arguement. When in that situation, after being told to remain quiet, is a good time to blurt out "I have a gun."?

The situation was tense from the moment the officers stepped out of their patrol car. I know the driver could have blurted out in the first five minutes of the stop, but do you think that the offending officer would have handled it any differently had he?

Also on top of everything else, did anyone else notice how they ran the stop sign with out their lights on?

TotinOne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Hancock Co.
    that's what I'm thinkin. "I HAVE A GUN" is not going to be enough though. Could be construed as a threat if the LEO is not looking at the guy. Need to blurt out something like "I'm carrying a weapon" or "Gun in my waistband" instead.
    It's important to contemplate these things ahead of time!

Wwwildthing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Arizona
    I can't comment on the video, it'd get me banned... suffice it to say that I'm outraged.

I will comment on the 'need to inform'. Unless the statute specifically states that it must be verbal, you have informed by handing over your permit with your license and other papers.

I also don't believe 'officer safety' is a citizens duty; that's the officer's responsibility... and if they can't handle the job, then they should quit and move on.

Both of these officers are clearly past the point of needing to do that.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Need to blurt out something like "I'm carrying a weapon" or "Gun in my waistband" instead.

When I am in Ohio or Texas or any other state which requires you to notify, I would not use weapon or gun. Much of police training is keyed to these words and you may get an inappropriate response.

"I have a license to carry. What do you want me to do?"

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I just watched the video, on another forum that I'm on, and was totally blown away. This Ohio cop was way out of bounds here on this one. It said that disciplinary action is being taken and that the LEO was on suspension for now.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I just watched the video, on another forum that I'm on, and was totally blown away. This Ohio cop was way out of bounds here on this one. It said that disciplinary action is being taken and that the LEO was on suspension for now.
    More like paid vacation....for now, I have a feeling this has already gotten way outta hand for the CPD, and I'm guessing this so called cop will get shown the door (sadly, that's probably as far as it will go), you know, be made an example of. We have to remember though, the anti gun crowd probably have zero problem with how this went down.

TotinOne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Hancock Co.
    When I am in Ohio or Texas or any other state which requires you to notify, I would not use weapon or gun. Much of police training is keyed to these words and you may get an inappropriate response.

"I have a license to carry. What do you want me to do?"

An even better response!... provided the LEO allows you the time to get that out. Unlike the schmucks in Canton.:):

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    This is how cop-haters are made, folks. If the carrier was 21 or 22 and this was his first-ever interaction with the police, then his opinion of police overall would likely be affected negatively for the rest of his life. And those feelings of distrust are nearly impossible to get over, no matter how much time transpires, and no matter what happens to that officer afterwards. Take it from me. Despite some opinions, it's not always because the person in question is a felon or a cop wannabe that couldn't hack it.

abigbadzebra

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Richmond
    I don't understand why the driver wouldn't be secured before they searched the vehicle. These cops were just so unprofessional and personally I think they put ther own safety at risk. That main cop must be having personal problems or something, cause he seemed to be blowing off steam.

Funny how he gets so angry about the guy having a gun.. and you hear the cop say something like "and I was in the back seat". They treat the guy like crap because he had the opportunity to take them both out... because of their actions. Wow.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I remember back in... oh, I guess 1996? I was assigned as an ROTC instructor at Gannon University in Erie, PA. A Drill Sergeant at some basic training/AIT was molesting young women in his charge, and it got very public and very ugly. I remember how it felt to have people on a college campus who had just read about that look at me, knowing that to some extent I was being seen as complicit.

I feel a little pain for all of the GOOD LEOs out there today. Let's not forget that there are still good ones, and let's hope that something good comes of all of this, whether it's changes in the notification laws or just better training where needed. I suspect that a few LEOs here in INGO are feeling like they just took a stiff shin to the groin today.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I don't understand why the driver wouldn't be secured before they searched the vehicle. These cops were just so unprofessional and personally I think they put ther own safety at risk. That main cop must be having personal problems or something, cause he seemed to be blowing off steam.

Funny how he gets so angry about the guy having a gun.. and you hear the cop say something like "and I was in the back seat". They treat the guy like crap because he had the opportunity to take them both out... because of their actions. Wow.

This is just MY humble request, but let's not do that "he could have taken them both out" thing -- that sends the wrong message about law-abiding gun owners. I agree with your other points.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I can't comment on the video, it'd get me banned... suffice it to say that I'm outraged.

I will comment on the 'need to inform'. Unless the statute specifically states that it must be verbal, you have informed by handing over your permit with your license and other papers.

I also don't believe 'officer safety' is a citizens duty; that's the officer's responsibility... and if they can't handle the job, then they should quit and move on.

Both of these officers are clearly past the point of needing to do that.
    The officer safety argument is getting really old. One of them climbs into the back seat to perform what appears to be an unlawful and certainly warrantless search, with an unsecured and unsearched subject in the drivers seat. Then, when he is found to be legally carrying a weapon, it becomes a matter of officer safety. These two need to be fired on the their poor use of tactics and utter lack of common sense alone.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I feel a little pain for all of the GOOD LEOs out there today.

When I see the good LEOs out there start to publicly stand against this sort of thing, I will agree with you. All I ever see is a closing of ranks.

This is one of those times when you a literally either for it or against it. There is no gray area. You can't just sit back and go "tut tut, such a shame" and pretend you're not involved. If you're a cop and you're not working to put a stop to this behavior, then you are just as complicit. Look at CPD. According to reports (which may not be accurate, I will grant you), the CPD attempted to suppress this video in exchange for not prosecuting the driver on the bogus charges they trumped up. In other words, they tried to extort him. Now that the video is out, the Chief is suddenly all concerned about how this is "against department policy" and "we will launch a full investigation". Your actions speak louder than your words, Chief.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    The whole law is so stupid. Yes, I legally carry a handgun. Yes, I am sure to inform the officer stopping me that I have a handgun on me, just because I don't want him seeing it and getting spooked. Traffic stops are high risk for cops and they can get edgy. What is rediculous about the officers argument is, if this man, had wanted to shoot the officers he had plenty of time. The "notify" law doesn't really do much of anything. Just like banning guns, if a person is going to commit a crime with a gun, they will do it if they are legal or not. In a like manner, if the guy was going to hurt the officers he would have done so long before that and never notified. The officer freaking out after he figured everything out was moronic. Clearly this guy was not a threat to him.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    When I see the good LEOs out there start to publicly stand against this sort of thing, I will agree with you. All I ever see is a closing of ranks.

This is one of those times when you a literally either for it or against it. There is no gray area. You can't just sit back and go "tut tut, such a shame" and pretend you're not involved. If you're a cop and you're not working to put a stop to this behavior, then you are just as complicit. Look at CPD. According to reports (which may not be accurate, I will grant you), the CPD attempted to suppress this video in exchange for not prosecuting the driver on the bogus charges they trumped up. In other words, they tried to extort him. Now that the video is out, the Chief is suddenly all concerned about how this is "against department policy" and "we will launch a full investigation". Your actions speak louder than your words, Chief.

Completely agree, no argument with any of that.

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    Guys - I'm a complete idiot....I visited the Ohio site using the link provided in the OP of this thread but I don't see a link to a video. Where am I missing it? Thanks.

Top Bottom