• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    I can't be sure on anything a court would potentially rule on, but I think age discrimination kicks in around 40. Surely you can think of a bunch of thing people under certain ages aren't allowed to buy or even enter.

While I do not disagree with your earlier statements, the things that people under a certain age cannot buy are that way by law. At this point, 18+ can legally buy rifle ammo.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    While I do not disagree with your earlier statements, the things that people under a certain age cannot buy are that way by law. At this point, 18+ can legally buy rifle ammo.

Based solely on discretion:

"Too young" isn't a federally protected class. A person who sells an item or service can discriminate at their discretion. i.e. (18-24 year olds trying to rent a car)

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    **** I know someone that was fired for being gay like 10 years ago and no attorney would take their case because it wasn't a protected class. How things have changed.
    And no it wasn't me for anyone wishful thinking:):

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    Darn, so much for me buying ammo at crap mart and dicks(head). Oh wait , i buy my ammo at cabelas and basspro , nevermind.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Meh. I just bought 1000 rounds of CCI Mini-Mags from PSA (w/free shipping) for cheaper than I can get it at Walmart (when/IF it's even in stock). I remember always checking their ammo case every time I would go in there for the year or two of ammo drought after Sandy Hook. Now I don't even bother. Indy Walmarts don't even sell guns at all, so it's not going to impact me in the least.

spankys56

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 11, 2014
    NWI
    The thing about Wal Mart's ammo situation that really gets under my skin is. The case is now behind the counter and now chained off where you can't even see what the #$@* they have. Not to mention just finding somebody to help you. Buy locally if at all possible. I still have a hardware store in my area that carries ammo.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Gay =/= gun folks.

Comparing a protected class to the rest of us is the fault in your logic.

Typically federal law protected against discrimination based on age but it seemed to be assumed it would be against old folks trying to get jobs or what-not. But now, we're talking about discriminating based on one's age (without legal predicate) on the other end of the spectrum. Seems to me, anyway.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Meh. I've given wally exactly $3.11 in the past 5 years. That was because they were the ONLY people in Noblesville with 3 gallons of distilled water and I needed it badly. Truck broke down in the road, and needed coolant and I'm a mix your own kinda guy.

Basically, I was already on a wally boycot, so this is just more of a reason.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Wikiarms is your friend. Local gun shops still charge way too much for ammo. I can purchase the exact ammo I want and ship for less that the LGS. Walmart was a useful tool, but I have not purchased ammo there in two years, maybe longer.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    Based solely on discretion:

"Too young" isn't a federally protected class. A person who sells an item or service can discriminate at their discretion. i.e. (18-24 year olds trying to rent a car)

You're right. I hadn't thought about things like car rentals.

Jagermeister

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2018
    Shelby
    If new rulings come out on the legal age to 21 years, then the age to drink should be 21, and military duty should be raised to 21 also. How about knives, cars, or anything that can be used to kill someone?

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Let economics work. Don't give them your money, and exercise your first amendment right to tell everyone else that supports the 2a not to either.
    The problem with asking the courts or the legislative arm to be involved is that those people can change as the political power changes.
    The thing that doesn't change is the people's ability to take care of themselves. The only real progress that will ever be made will be made if the government and the courts stay out of things.
    Personally, like most of you, I only use WM as a LAST resort.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Wait, does INGO want retailers to choose how they want to operate or not? :dunno:

Bake the cake! Sell the ammo!

I could not care less what Walmart and Dicks do. Here's a good niche for the LGS to come in and win.

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    I fully support the right of a business to set their own policies. ( and let the market sort it out) But, I have to wonder....what would the reaction from the left be if Walmart said " we're not going to fill prescriptions for birth control to anyone under 21". Or , " you must be 21 to purchase condoms". Or, " too many 21 year olds abuse alcohol. We're raising the age to purchase booze to 25."

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I am mixed somewhat on this. I firmly believe that a company can set whatever policy they want - within the limit of the law.

Our country has a legal concept of equal protection under the law, thus baring discrimination. You cannot discriminate just cause you want to. An insurance company can charge higher rates to certain age groups due to objective risk tables, not because they don't like young people.

Imagine if this were any other group of people. What if a company said, "Well, we see blacks committing more crimes than whites so we're not going to sell guns to black folks." Or, "Irish get into more fights when they're drunk, so we're not going to sell any alcoholic beverages to the Irish."

Besides, this policy contributes to the compounding of ignorance by the general public that these weapons are far more dangerous than others and are thus worthy of special discriminatory laws. This is untrue but by their riding the BS public opinion stampede they contribute to such supporting ignorant ideas.

By the way, IF the cake maker would have said, "I'm too busy" or "I'm going on vacation soon" or any number of other, reasonable, reasons to deny service he wouldn't have had a problem. Instead, he was an IDIOT! He wanted to flaunt his Jesus credentials and he lost. Of course, the activists pushed his buttons, but he was the one that allowed his buttons to BE pushed. Stupid...

Regards,

Doug

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I fully support the right of a business to set their own policies. ( and let the market sort it out) But, I have to wonder....what would the reaction from the left be if Walmart said " we're not going to fill prescriptions for birth control to anyone under 21". Or , " you must be 21 to purchase condoms". Or, " too many 21 year olds abuse alcohol. We're raising the age to purchase booze to 25."
    They'd show how they are hypocrites.... like everyone else regardless of political persuasion.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana

What a point you make here!

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    Just seen online. WalMart is raising the age to purchase firearms and ammunition to 21 yrs of age. What is the world coming to...there also taking any assault style looking toys off there shelves?!? What has toys got to do with some irrational kid shooting up a school? Airsoft, nerf, and any other assault weapon style toys or non lethal guns are no longer at walmart.

Maybe our LGS' will pick up the slack and start selling air soft, paint ball, and BB guns. Seems like a good place to take your kids and expose them to the real experience a bit at a time. Might be a good profit pick up for the LGS.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    So by your logic they should be REQUIRED to sell guns and ammo because federal law says they CAN.

No. Walmart has already chosen to sell guns and ammunition. They should be required not to refuse a sale of a lawful product - that they have chosen of their own volition to offer for sale to the general public - to a lawful purchaser, on the basis of age discrimination. Right of public accommodation, and all.

Top Bottom