• chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Based solely on discretion:

"Too young" isn't a federally protected class. A person who sells an item or service can discriminate at their discretion. i.e. (18-24 year olds trying to rent a car)

A car rental is a contractual agreement between two parties, and not analogous to the sale of a good or service.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    If new rulings come out on the legal age to 21 years, then the age to drink should be 21, and military duty should be raised to 21 also. How about knives, cars, or anything that can be used to kill someone?

Add voting to the list.

Pick an age; apply it to all adult/age-restricted activities: alcohol, driver's licenses, firearms purchase, and voting.

I'm good with 18 for all of the above.

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    So the 3+ billion people on the planet who have at one time been 18 19 20 year old adults that didnt commit a mass murder when they were those ages dont matter, we are suppose to judge all current and future adults of that age by the ONE CRAZY MOTHER F"ER who committed mass murder on valentines day?! Someone needs to look right at the morons proposing that and say "get the F out of here with that stupid :poop: !"

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    So if lawsuits are filed for a age discrimination, does anyone else think that all these stores will just stop selling anything firearm related? I can see it happening, I doubt firearms and ammo make up even 3% of Walmart's profits.

I personally fell that it is their store they can do as they please, and I see them completely dropping anything firearm related if it becomes a hassel, which won't bother me the slightest. I do all my firearm and ammo shopping at LGS and online.

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    Is this any worse than RK's stance of not taking the lock off of a firearm you want to look at or, in some areas, requiring a driver's license instead of a state ID?

It is, however, absolutely stupid and I hope they feel an impact from it. I doubt they will, though. I also hope some well-known, 18-20 year old hunter or sport shooter can reign shame down on them or win a lawsuit for enough cash that they do feel it in the bottom line.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    No. Walmart has already chosen to sell guns and ammunition. They should be required not to refuse a sale of a lawful product - that they have chosen of their own volition to offer for sale to the general public - to a lawful purchaser, on the basis of age discrimination. Right of public accommodation, and all.

It appears that you disagree with a sellers right to refuse service at their own discretion. If that's what you're saying, I disagree. I believe that seller should be allowed to discriminate in the vast majority of cases, unless at the buyer's immediate detriment of life or liberty.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    It appears that you disagree with a sellers right to refuse service at their own discretion. If that's what you're saying, I disagree. I believe that seller should be allowed to discriminate in the vast majority of cases, unless at the buyer's immediate detriment of life or liberty.

As the owner of a small business that sells firearms I agree...I still remember my interview with the 8 month pregnant ATF lady who came to inspect the shop when I opened.....

"So I can refuse service to any one?"

"Yes.."

"Even if it's just a bad vibe???"

"Yes sir..."

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

Oh, no; I don't disagree with a seller's right to refuse service at their own discretion. I fully support that right. However, we live in a legal climate in which that right has been infringed on the basis of the newly (in 1964) discovered "right of public accommodation". Since that "right" is now the law of the land, as legislated and as adjudicated, then it must be applied equally, to all, lest it run afoul of the Equal Protection clause.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    As the owner of a small business that sells firearms I agree...I still remember my interview with the 8 month pregnant ATF lady who came to inspect the shop when I opened.....

"So I can refuse service to any one?"

"Yes.."

"Even if it's just a bad vibe???"

"Yes sir..."

That's different than refusing a sale based on age (especially when the age of the purchaser is explicitly lawful).

In fact, I would expect an FFL to refuse a sale based on a "bad vibe" about the purchaser. That is a discretionary matter based on articulable suspicion of the purchaser - completely unlike discrimination based merely on age.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Meh, I can count my trips to Walmart PER YEAR, on part of one hand. As the gun industry barrels toward the LCD, first one to zero wins, places like WM can quit selling guns altogether as far as I’m concerned.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Their house, their rules. I'll continue to drive right past those **** holes, I'd much rather shop just about anywhere else anyway.

Agreed 100%. Before all this occurred, I had read a few things on Walmart business practices and the impact on communities they come into, as well as hiring and labor practices, and coupled with the general level of quality of many of the items they sell and just decided, that if I can generally stay out of there, and minimize any purchases from them, I'd be better off. It has worked out pretty well. There are just generally better options out there, even for groceries, etc.

Meh, I can count my trips to Walmart PER YEAR, on part of one hand. As the gun industry barrels toward the LCD, first one to zero wins, places like WM can quit selling guns altogether as far as I’m concerned.

Agreed. Walmart getting out of a market area, generally helps everyone and even the consumer to some degree.

Again, this has really nothing to do with this latest announcement, but just with Walmart as an overall, and I'm not seeing any significant increase in my costs and have only seen gains in quality of service and products dealing with other providers.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    All this is just window dressing. It doesn't get to the root of the problem and that is identifying mentally imbalanced people and taking appropriate action to see they get treatment and are kept from weapons. Of course, even if semi-auto rifles were made contraband and all of them were turned in (I know...it's just a hypothetical) wackos would find other "weapons" and other ways to commit atrocities. Fertilizer and diesel fuel have been used, as well as, pipe bombs. It ain't the tool... it's the nut job!

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    All this is just window dressing. It doesn't get to the root of the problem and that is identifying mentally imbalanced people and taking appropriate action to see they get treatment and are kept from weapons. Of course, even if semi-auto rifles were made contraband and all of them were turned in (I know...it's just a hypothetical) wackos would find other "weapons" and other ways to commit atrocities. Fertilizer and diesel fuel have been used, as well as, pipe bombs. It ain't the tool... it's the nut job!

Agreed, and when you have a soft target (GFZ, etc) what does it matter if you ban baseball bats, when you can just take a billy club in and beat the heck out of anyone you want. There are societal issues that need to be handled, but the targets need to be hardened up. I know that doing that pushes attacks out to the new "choke points" but having a kid have to attend school by law, and then making that place completely vulnerable to attack, etc is just ridiculous.

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    Lets look at this another way. Suppose yer one of the 1 billion adults in the world , who happen to be 18, 19 , 20. Now some crazy ass criminal commits mass murder at a school. The criminal just so happens to be a 19 yr old adult. Then walmart (a global company)comes along and decides to judge millions and millions and millions and millions of law abiding adults by the actions of ONE Deranged Criminal... IF i was in that group , i would be pissed off. Your going to judge me by the actions of some cold blooded killer who is around the same age as me? That is complete bull**** if i ever saw it. I hope they can look up from their phones long enough to get upset about this and do something about it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Lets look at this another way. Suppose yer one of the 1 billion adults in the world , who happen to be 18, 19 , 20. Now some crazy ass criminal commits mass murder at a school. The criminal just so happens to be a 19 yr old adult. Then walmart (a global company)comes along and decides to judge millions and millions and millions and millions of law abiding adults by the actions of ONE Deranged Criminal... IF i was in that group , i would be pissed off. Your going to judge me by the actions of some cold blooded killer who is around the same age as me? That is complete bull**** if i ever saw it. I hope they can look up from their phones long enough to get upset about this and do something about it.

Not gonna happen. Just is not. Unless a protest is the media darling of the day no one cares.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Agreed, and when you have a soft target (GFZ, etc) what does it matter if you ban baseball bats, when you can just take a billy club in and beat the heck out of anyone you want. There are societal issues that need to be handled, but the targets need to be hardened up. I know that doing that pushes attacks out to the new "choke points" but having a kid have to attend school by law, and then making that place completely vulnerable to attack, etc is just ridiculous.
    Yes, how come people won't admit that "gun free zones" were and are a bad idea? I thought that school administrators with doctoral degrees were supposed to be intelligent!

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    Based solely on discretion:

"Too young" isn't a federally protected class. A person who sells an item or service can discriminate at their discretion. i.e. (18-24 year olds trying to rent a car)

I thought the 18-24 not being able to rent cars was more a Insurance decision -- MUCH Higher Accident Rate and they want to re-rent the cars when it comes back -- not wait a month to get it fixed

Top Bottom