• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    My wife picked up a couple boxes of .22 ammo for me today at Walmart (Beech Grove). When the girl was ringing them up at the sporting goods counter, she asked my wife "Is this for a handgun?". Apparently the answer has to be entered into the computer when they make the sale. :xmad: WTF??!! Has anyone else experienced this?

My wife simply answered "no" but then asked her why she was asking. The cashier responded that she personally didn't care but they were required to ask. I don't know if they would have refused the sale had she said yes. Next time I try to buy ammo there, I plan to decline to answer.

I buy a lot of 9mm Winchester ammo from Walmart....never once have I been queried.

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    I got "carded" at a Gander Mountain the other day when I bought some .40 and 9mm. I bought 9 and .40 at Dicks recently and did NOT get carded. Today I bought a WWB of 9mm at the Wal-Mart in Newburgh. They did not ask me anything. I'm 43 with a beard...I'm a little guy but I don't think I look so young anymore.

:dunno:

Armed Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Indianapolis
    My wife picked up a couple boxes of .22 ammo for me today at Walmart (Beech Grove). When the girl was ringing them up at the sporting goods counter, she asked my wife "Is this for a handgun?". Apparently the answer has to be entered into the computer when they make the sale. :xmad: WTF??!! Has anyone else experienced this?

My wife simply answered "no" but then asked her why she was asking. The cashier responded that she personally didn't care but they were required to ask. I don't know if they would have refused the sale had she said yes. Next time I try to buy ammo there, I plan to decline to answer.

I had the exact same thing happen to me at the Beech Grove Walmart. But I purchased several boxes. The cashier asked me each time he scanned a box. Even though some of the boxes were the exact same.

At first I thought it was a joke, but he kept repeating the same line of questioning, over and over.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    You got a cite on that law?

If I buy .357 Mag ammo, how do they know it's not for a carbine?

If I buy 44 Magnum ammo, how do they know it's not for my homebrew rifle?

Just what is "handgun ammo"?

Most of the cashiers at Walmart aren't even old enough to sell beer.

and if I remember correctly, they are not allowed to swipe it across the scanner either. :dunno:

Armed Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I went in the other day and was going to see if they asked for ID to buy condoms, but they were out of the Extra Large size, so I didn't buy any.....

I bought them all, :): They were backordered for a few months. There maybe some hot, sex-craved, zombie women that will be in need of my "services". So I started stock-piling......... :D

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    See : (18 USC § 922(b)(1))

US Code Title 18 Section 922

They are NOT REQUIRED to ask for ID. This law is very vague and can be interpreted many different ways by BATFE and Walmart. In defense of a Walmart clerk getting caught selling handgun ammo (whatever that is) to a person under age 21, all he has to say is "I did not know he was under 21" or "I had no reason to believe he was under age 21".

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I've always thought that was a ridiculous rule with no practical application. With rifles and handguns in both .22 and .44 I can't really answer their question!

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I wish they still asked that for all of the ammo. When they switched to selling guns at more of the stores, they stopped asking "Is this for a handgun or a rifle?" on 9mm. Now I can no longer buy 9mm at WalMart for my pistol caliber carbines, since Im not 21. A load of crap that is! Oh well, I have to get back to placing my order for some 9mm online...

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Walmart "policies" are usually bull**** in the first place.

The fact that they ask for ID for Credit Card purchases is against the cardholder agreement.

The fact that they will actually REFUSE a sale to you for declining to show ID is also against the cardholder agreement.

I've written my share of letters to the BBB, Mastercard, and Walmart. Of course, no resolution has ever come from it.

If they decline ammo sales if you refuse to present an ID... I guess that's fine since there is an age requirement. Credit Cards don't have age requirements. -_-

Top Bottom