• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    MWhen he stopped in the front to buy cigars the cashier asked him what was in the bags that was so heavy he replied, "ammo." She then asked if it was for a handgun or a rifle... wtf is with that...
    It's BS! Should have told her to mind her own business. You already bought it-it's yours. You had a receipt. So it no longer matters and she shouldn't be annoying customers who paid. If she wants to feel superior and powerful maybe she should go work in Sporting Goods.

Being asked initially doesn't bother me-its the company's CYA, but to be harassed on the way out is crap. OK, I'm done-carry on!

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    Oh yea, every time but since they raised their ammo prices I'm just gonna buy exclusively from the gun shop. I was getting Federal's in the 50rnd boxes for $1.47 a month ago in Laf. but now they're $2.00. The only reason I really shopped there was for the .22 ammo anyway, forget it now. No more deals at WallyWorld......

! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    Oh yea, every time but since they raised their ammo prices I'm just gonna buy exclusively from the gun shop. I was getting Federal's in the 50rnd boxes for $1.47 a month ago in Laf. but now they're $2.00. The only reason I really shopped there was for the .22 ammo anyway, forget it now. No more deals at WallyWorld......

Unfortunately in the Anderson area it is hard to beat their $9.47 a box of 9mm Tulammo... We don't have any quality gun shops in the area.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Never been carded here in Bedford. But thats probably because of the grey hair...well...what's left of it. Bought some .45's yesterday and I noticed the question kinda like "is customer over 21?" popped up on the register when checking out. The guy checking me out just hit ok or whatever because I walked out $35 poorer a few seconds later.

Lucion

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Avon
    Brownsburg will ask once in a while and then other times I can tell the cashier is just pressing a button to shutty the register. Don't buy much anymore, started building my own.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    Ok, I have been watching this thread since the beginning and just listening to peoples responses. Now I need to clear this up because there is clearly confusion on Walmarts polices and procedures. I know a lot of you hate, dislike, don't care, or otherwise do not choose to associate with Walmart but I wanted to clarify the reasons behind the "questioning".

Before going into that its important to tell you that I work for Walmart Stores, Inc. I have been with the company in a management capacity for a long time now. Due to policies, and my position at Walmart, I cannot disclose my exact position through media or any kind of social networking but I can tell you I know what I am talking about.

Here it is:

Walmart is the largest company in the world. When you are of this size you are a legal target all the time. We create policies to avoid or minimize the potential of negitive legal ramifications.

.22 ammo is legally recongnized as a RIFLE ammo. Although now it is very common to be used in handguns as well. Well, law states you must be 21 for handgun, and 18 for rifle purchases. So, for example if we sold .22 ammo to a 19 year old that would be perfectly legal....but what if he puts it in a handgun instead of a rifle and shoots someone.....that could cause issues for us. Maybe not legally since it is still technically a rifle ammo but in civil court anything goes, and thats were you hand over the $$$$.

So if we ask and key it into register we at least did our part to make sure we adhered to the law.

Now the reason you will never be asked what type of gun its for when you purchase 9mm, .38, .357, .40, .45, etc is because those are HANDGUN loads. Yes there are rifles that can shoot those loads but that does change thier classifaction.

Also, if the cashier thinks you look older than 21 then they may just key to continue when it prompts because either way at that point it doesnt matter if its for rilfe or handgun.

Some cashiers may be new and not trained to the point to understand that so they may just follow the prompt even if you look like you are 95. They just dont want to get in trobule. Give them a break.

Lastly, Walmart assocaites are NOT gun experts. Some may not even know ANYTHING about guns. So they will just do what they think they need to do. Some Walmart have upwards of 600 people employed. Its very hard to make sure everyone is trained on everything, esp with turnover.

Keep in mind guys, Walmart doesnt make the laws. We just try to make policies that adhere to the laws and prevent negitive backlash.

As for the few comments about other associates asking personal busniess or being rude. Follow these steps.

1. Ask to speak to manager on duty and state your concerns.
    2. Call 1-800-WAL-MART and file a complant if you feel your conversation with the manager on duty didnt resolve issue.
    3. Go to service desk and look on the wall. The district offices number is there for you to call.
    4. If all else fails, PM me I will try to take care of your concern. (PLEASE ONLY PM ME ABOUT AMMO OR GUN RELATED STORE ISSUES. I would be willing to help as a service to fellow INGO memebers, but I do not have time to deal with the "I had to wait in line" things. We have other people in company to field those concerns.)

Hopefully this helps clear up confusion. Once again I know a lot of people hate Walmart but I am proud to work there and we honestly want everyones business. Hopefully some of you will reconsider.

(FYI as a disclaimer. I do spend thousands of dollars a year at my local gun shops to support them as well!)

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    My wife picked up a couple boxes of .22 ammo for me today at Walmart (Beech Grove). When the girl was ringing them up at the sporting goods counter, she asked my wife "Is this for a handgun?". Apparently the answer has to be entered into the computer when they make the sale. :xmad: WTF??!! Has anyone else experienced this?

My wife simply answered "no" but then asked her why she was asking. The cashier responded that she personally didn't care but they were required to ask. I don't know if they would have refused the sale had she said yes. Next time I try to buy ammo there, I plan to decline to answer.

That's when you say, "No, they are for putting back on your shelves along with everything else in my cart" and walk out.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Louisville, KY
    I think its the Gun Control Act of 68 makes it illegal to sell handgun ammo to peeps under 21 like other posters said. In my experience Walmart first asks you the question if it's for a handgun. Then they would ask for your ID. Maybe if they just recognized that the customer was like 50 something they could skip the silliness or just straight up ID them and move on, but we're talking about kid employees who are just doing what they're told. I don't think it's a big deal now, but I was offended the first time it happened to me.

Airborne33

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Colorado SPrings
    No different than being carded for a pack of smokes or a beer. I'm sure quite a few employees wouldn't know the difference between a 12 gauge shell and a 9mm. Regardless it's not really the item that's being purchased, it's the application that deems whether or not you need to be 18 or 21. I say don't let it bother you, pick your battles and if you feel insulted, just shop for ammo somewhere else. Walmart has been doing this for quite a while now.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    One guy pointed out, You can only "buy 4 boxes of shells" when I tried to buy 20 boxes of 50 round subsonic .22lr. I said, "Well, they have those 550 packs there, so I could get the same amount by buying JUST TWO of those, but they "don't have the kind I like"". I was told, "Oh, I guess that makes sense" and was sold "the shells".

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I've never been asked either - interesting.

The corporate lawyers are working overtime to ensure their businesses are protected from any liability regarding sale/use of their products - remember, "contents of this cup is HOT" (or whatever it says) on the McDonalds coffee cup. Who would have guessed the broad who spilled coffee in her lap would actually win a lawsuit b/c the coffee was hot - and no one told her?

I understand your point, but your example is flawed. Go watch the documentary "Hot Coffee". Everything you think you know about the case is wrong.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    You can't sell handgun ammunition to a person under 21. Walmart asks EVERYONE so that their cashiers don't have to make an age determination.

You got a cite on that law?

If I buy .357 Mag ammo, how do they know it's not for a carbine?

If I buy 44 Magnum ammo, how do they know it's not for my homebrew rifle?

Just what is "handgun ammo"?

Most of the cashiers at Walmart aren't even old enough to sell beer.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    You got a cite on that law?
    Just what is "handgun ammo"?

18 U.S.C. § 922 : US Code - Section 922: Unlawful acts

(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed
    manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or
    deliver -
    (1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the
    licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than
    eighteen years of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition is
    other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or
    rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable
    cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age;

One of the more ridiculous restrictions placed on FFLs.

There is no handgun ammunition. I guess there is ammunition for a handgun - which could be for a rifle as well. Pure genius.

Top Bottom