WATCH: 11 Indiana Cops Detain Entire Bar to Conduct Background Checks on Patrons

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    IATC/ISEP no comment.

I support the police and have started threads supporting them and their actions.

This on the other hand will never be explained or justified.

There will not be anything coming forth.

Move on there is nothing to see here.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Maybe there was a tip that an escapee from the prison was in there...

I have no reluctance for speculation.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Also would have been nice to see people refuse. See what happens. Ask for Probable Cause.

And, what would happen if they found something? Would a court throw it out as a "fishing expedition"?
    Ive personaly witnessed raids on bars with excise police being backed up by (at the time) IPD cops in raid gear being total dicks for no reason. Ive never been one to argue with police or be on the wrong side but when you have legal citizens doing nothing wrong except asking the police whats going on and they are screaming and cursing and threatening them with arrest (with whatever bs charge they could come up with) then thats not right period.

I dont know what this video is or situation, but take some advice, you dont want to be caught up in the middle of a group of cops dealing out "justice" in a bar or riot scene period.
    Just like crowds amp each other up and escalate, so do cops. Ive seen it and like I said, I wasn't on the wrong side of it myself just a witness.
    I dont trust either side of the story more than the other just because one side is wearing a uniform of any kind. The truth always lies somewhere in the middle

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    51mgF9%2BuXZL._SX425_.jpg

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Were they "checking IDs" or "Conducting Background Checks"?

One seems to be okay in accordance with Indiana Alcohol Tobacco Commision, one seems to be completely different.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Were they "checking IDs" or "Conducting Background Checks"?

One seems to be okay in accordance with Indiana Alcohol Tobacco Commision, one seems to be completely different.

I agree. And again, I don't know what they were doing or why they were there- but can checking a person's ID include checking to see that it is a valid ID?

Do we know they were doing "background checks"? Admittedly, I had a hard time understanding what the police were saying in that video, so if they said they were, I won't doubt it.

Last edited:

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    This isn't anything new for me,
    Columns of 'Bikers' stopped for hours while police do 'Random Sobriety' or 'Random Vehicle Inspections' have been the 'Normal' for decades.
    Same with ABC doing 'Random' raids on 'Biker' bars.

Last year north of Daytona (North Ormand, where the Iron Horse bar is) it was 'Human Trafficking' checkpoint, and on top of ID/vehicle registration checks, we had to turn out pockets out and open saddle bags to make sure we weren't smuggling people in pockets & saddle bags.
    Refuse and you were 'Resisting Law Enforcement' and they arrested you AND the bike.
    Keep in mind you don't see a judge until bike week is over...

Outside of Milwaukee on Harley's anniversary, it was a 'Vehicle Inspection' where they set up a sound meter to see how loud your pipes were, and measured light height off the ground, and my favorite, look for DOT rating on tires and light lenses.

Pennsylvania likes that 'Vehicle Safety Inspection' also. It cost me $300 on the Gettysburg run 3 years ago because my licence plate frame 'Obstructed' the plate (dealership advertisment frame) and my internet proof of insurance app didn't meet PA standards...

In Las Vegas a few years back it was an 'Agriculture Inspection', but hot rods & bikes seemed to be the only vehicles 'Inspected' (SEMA show week) lots of tickets written for window tint, loud pipes, lights that weren't 'Visible' enough, 'Improper' proof of insurance...
    Don't know what that had to do with 'Agriculture', but a boat load of tickets written.
    Everyone's ID ran, drivers & passengers both.
    Florida likes that 'Agriculture Inspection' also...

Seems every state has a 'Fugitive Sweep' or 'Sobriety Sweep' going during Sturgis...

And then again...
    The small towns around military duty stations,
    Out of state plates and gate pass sticker was sure to get you a 'Sobriety' stop after about 9pm.
    Always the same excuse, you were 'Weaving' or your tail light mysteriously was out, but it's working by the time you get to the back of the vehicle to check it...
    We'll not even get into taping over headlights or taillights when your gate pass vehicle was sitting at a bar or shopping center that sold booze...

My personal favorite was,
    In one state the strip joints were required to hire off duty police to be security.
    That 'Security' officer would chalk mark tires in the parking lot, and his on duty buddies would sit at stop signs & stop lights looking for the chalk marks.
    Didn't matter if the driver passed the field breathlyzer, they would get the passengers out of the car and then ticket them for public intoxication.
    No breathlyzer required for PI, just officers word you smelled of alcohol and/or you admitted coming from a bar.
    When people took it to court, there is no law against chalking tires, taping over lights, etc.

My all time favorite in Indiana was writing tickets or arresting for Public Intoxication outside of a city festival beer garden...
    Step out the gate, collet your $150 ticket!
    Complain about it, go to jail... No proof of intoxication needed.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I agree. And again, I don't know what they were doing or why they were there- but can checking a person's ID include checking to see that it is a valid ID?

Do we know they were doing "background checks"? Admittedly, I had a hard time understanding what the police were saying in that video, so if they said they were, I won't doubt it.

Title of the article is, "..conducting background checks.."
    That's why I was asking if it was that, or just checking IDs.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Title of the article is, "..conducting background checks.."
    That's why I was asking if it was that, or just checking IDs.

No, I understand. I know what the person making the video was saying, which is pretty much all that made it into any article I have seen on this, but I couldn't hear what the cops said in the video, so I can't say either what they were doing or claimed to be doing.

I'm waitin' and see'in

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Definitely doesn't seem right. I would tend to support MCPD, but it looks like no one is making any statements about what they were actually doing there. There doesn't appear to be any justification for what happened. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I've got a saw buck that says we will never know.

As I said previously, "Move along, nothing to see here."

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Query: What does it mean to "check an I.D."?

I've got a saw buck that says we will never know.

As I said previously, "Move along, nothing to see here."

There was a photo in the story of a cop sitting at a mobile terminal. Sounds like a bit more than checking age to me.

Does the photo match?
    Is it valid?
    are they of age?

thats all you need.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I’ll be waiting on the the rest of the story.

You probably won't get one, but I spoke to several officers that were there. This happened while I was working, but I wasn't part of it. I also have not, nor will I, watch the video.

I know what happened and a lot of it is irrelevant. I will say that it was a raid by excise and Michigan City PD was there to assist. The part of the situation that was, in my opinion, a gross violation of the rights of the bar patrons was due to a single supervisor who wanted every single patron of the bar identified and run for warrants. I have no idea why he made the decision to do that or why he thought that the bar patrons would be required to provide identification, but the officers that actually ran the IDs were fairly new and likely did not feel they were in a position to refuse.

There really isn't much more to the story, but it's nice to see my city in the news.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    You probably won't get one, but I spoke to several officers that were there. This happened while I was working, but I wasn't part of it. I also have not, nor will I, watch the video.

I know what happened and a lot of it is irrelevant. I will say that it was a raid by excise and Michigan City PD was there to assist. The part of the situation that was, in my opinion, a gross violation of the rights of the bar patrons was due to a single supervisor who wanted every single patron of the bar identified and run for warrants. I have no idea why he made the decision to do that or why he thought that the bar patrons would be required to provide identification, but the officers that actually ran the IDs were fairly new and likely did not feel they were in a position to refuse.

So basically what your saying is, a massive violation of rights?

Top Bottom