Watson Chambers Gun Theft in Columbus...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    wasn't there a store in Indy with similar problems a few years back? Seems that there was but I'm drawing a blank as to which store it was.

Just recently elmores. They got broke into twice fairly traditionally, and the last time a few months ago where the thief gained access from the roof.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    yikes. motivated thief

Yeah. They can get creative on their entry so you have to make it difficult to get to anything. With all of the high end accessories WCDI has on their shelves it wouldn't require gun theft to make it a high priority target. I'll go buy some more stuff for the 3 lowers I just picked up from them on Tuesday to try and help them stay afloat in the meantime. I have never trained or shot there, but I have bought multiple rifles, and had numerous firearms shipped there to take advantage of their free transfer with purchase.

Oldgunfan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2018
    GPS signal lost
    I'll go buy some more stuff for the 3 lowers I just picked up from them on Tuesday to try and help them stay afloat in the meantime.

From what I recall seeing when I was in the store on Tuesday, I think most--if not all--of the stolen guns were on consignment. So while the theft may damage their reputation, it probably doesn't represent a big financial loss for them. The consignees are the ones who lose financially--though perhaps WCDI will provide some goodwill refund/recovery to the consignees.
    ... I suppose their insurance premiums could go up significantly...

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    From what I recall seeing when I was in the store on Tuesday, I think most--if not all--of the stolen guns were on consignment. So while the theft may damage their reputation, it probably doesn't represent a big financial loss for them. The consignees are the ones who lose financially--though perhaps WCDI will provide some goodwill refund/recovery to the consignees.
    ... I suppose their insurance premiums could go up significantly...
    Insurance will cover them.

I know a lot of gun stores that don't lock them up at night. Its very time consuming and risk damaging the guns pulling them in and out constantly. But if you don't have proper security then you should.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I have a hard time believing in this day and age that anyone would leave guns out like that overnight. Many people on INGO wouldn't do that at home no matter how hardened their front door was.

Anyhoo, hope they catch them and everyone they sell to.

It depends on if they are a small shop or not. I worked in a large gun store in MI, not like you usually see here in IN, and that wouldn't be realistic. Also be willing to accept some bumps and bruises on your new guns from being put away and taken out every day.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    Hoosier Armory in Noblesville leaves a rack of used rifles leaning against the front window every night. They feel safe being downtown.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Anyone been to Top Guns in Terre Haute? It would be a significant challenge to successfully burglarize that place.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    They are offering a 5k dollar reward for info leading to arrest.

I have seen a few FB posts where someone tried to throw a brick through the window and they laughed at them on FB. We'll see what happens now. I have never been in the place....so don't know what they had to break through on the front to get in to the store. Gathering reinforcement of some sort.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    They are offering a 5k dollar reward for info leading to arrest.

I have seen a few FB posts where someone tried to throw a brick through the window and they laughed at them on FB. We'll see what happens now. I have never been in the place....so don't know what they had to break through on the front to get in to the store. Gathering reinforcement of some sort.

The Watson store is actually in the same building and store as J&J custom firearms was years ago. Big glass windows on the front doors. They did install a waist high steel gate recently but I'm not sure if they have anything on the windows themselves or not. Im thinking they had some sort of anti-breakage window film but i'm not sure.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    One giant walk in vault. The steel door at the entrance is impressive to say the least.

Yep. And the distance from the lot to the inner doors will make the old "drive your stolen car through the front" less effective.

There isn't a place that a determined burglar with the right skills, tools, and plenty of time can't burglarize, but they have clearly considered their security carefully just
    from what is clearly visible.

epeery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2018
    Columbus
    I like the folks at Watson's, but the iron gate I saw was a joke. They may have changed it, I stopped going in when they started photographing IDs just to shop.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I like the folks at Watson's, but the iron gate I saw was a joke. They may have changed it, I stopped going in when they started photographing IDs just to shop.

The gate wasnt for security, it was only to stop people from coming in without being identified. I like the place. I think they tried to be different and casual, and I think it's proving to not be such a good approach. May be time to hire someone to work a gun counter, secure the pistols in a display, and set up a security wall like Columbus pawn for the rifles. I love having them as a resource for quality ar parts

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    epeery;7587601...I stopped going in when they started photographing IDs just to shop.[/QUOTE said:
    The one time I went into Watson's for a "free with purchase" transfer, there was a lady at a desk in the far end, two people not far from her watching TV, 3 guys at the front desk that fussed over which one would help me and no one paying much attention to me as I looked around the store.

Since no one paid attention, I guess they need the ID's to be able to match up the the video surveillance.

I went to another LGS for my next transfer. The friendly staff and nicer atmosphere made it worth the $25 transfer fee.

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    If I lived closer to Columbus, I'd give them more business. Great family and I don't care about giving them my ID. They're doing good things within the gun community to help counter the demonization of gun owners and the 2nd Ammendment. What they do for children and women when it comes to training classes is about the coolest thing I've seen from anyone in the industry.

I'm not saying there aren't other good people in the gun world but I am saying I doubt there are any that are better.

Top Bottom