What 1911 is best under $1,000? Para, Springfield , Kimber, Colt, etc?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • johnb62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Oct 15, 2008
    Evansville Area
    I have two of them. I have owned two others. They are top notch. You can buy a stock Trojan for $999. For my money it is the best 1K gun out there.

You can also buy most of the STI guns in 9, 40 or 45. I have a Trojan 9 that has had FO front sight, Ambi safety, and complete tune added. Shoots like a dream for about $1300. H also have a Ranger II in 9mm with night sights.

Have had a Trojan 45 and a Lawman 45.

FYI there is a Lawman used in Hard Chrome at Buds Gun Shop for $899. Been thinking about it for myself.

Kingrat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Evansville
    all the brands mentioned up to this point are all good, i have a dan wesson cbob i got for 975, but what i really want to get is an STI, even over springfield, s&w, colt, kimber etc

ronn1911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Dearborn County, IN
    Don't discount some of the "cheapo" 1911's. I have and carry a 5" Citadel 1911 and it has never malfunctioned in any way.
    Personally, I don't want to have to deal with "breaking in" a defensive pistol and that can be the case with some of the bigger names (Kimber and Para come to mind).

I was at the range a while back and was shooting next to a guy with a new Colt Commander and I had my "cheap Philipino" 1911, mine ran flawlessly while his jammed quite a bit.
    He let me and my wife try it, we swapped magazines, and mine still did better. I'm sure his gun will run fine later and I am not knocking Colt, I just want it to run right out of the box.

wetidlerjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    TIPTON
    I only buy Colts in a 1911 style but if I couldn't get one, I would look at a Springfield.

CC_1991ORM_LEFT.jpg

NEWGRIPS_COLTCOMMANDER072209.jpg

Glock19Dude

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I want to get a 1911 to replace my xd9 subcompact and swv40... I don't want some cheap offbrand pistol. From what I've seen Springfield, Colt, Kimber, para all come to mind. I want full size, beaver tail, accuracy and reliability. Any suggestions and reasoning??

I am in the same boat. From the research I've done the Springfield and Para seem to be great guns for the money. Do you consider Taurus a "cheap offbrand pistol" if not, check out their line of 1911's. I just can't seem to decide on a fullsize 5" barrel length or a 4" for personal carry :dunno: I keep thinking the fullsize might be a bit much for everyday carry, but they do kick a*s!

FatGeek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    I am in the same boat. From the research I've done the Springfield and Para seem to be great guns for the money. Do you consider Taurus a "cheap offbrand pistol" if not, check out their line of 1911's. I just can't seem to decide on a fullsize 5" barrel length or a 4" for personal carry :dunno: I keep thinking the fullsize might be a bit much for everyday carry, but they do kick a*s!

Carrying a fullsize took a little time to get adjusted to, but its become part of my daily routine now, and I love the accuracy when at the range. If I were to get a 4" for carry, I'd get a CCO setup to have the shorter grip also, doesn't have to be a Colt, any officer frame with a commander slide would do. Spare mags for the full size work in the Officer frame, and many if not most holsters will work for both the Gov't and the CCO.

I think the budget 1911 manufacturers (RIA, Howa, Interstate, Citadel, etc.) are completely overlooking a niche market by not producing the CCO setup. But, I've been wrong before...

Glock19Dude

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Carrying a fullsize took a little time to get adjusted to, but its become part of my daily routine now, and I love the accuracy when at the range. If I were to get a 4" for carry, I'd get a CCO setup to have the shorter grip also, doesn't have to be a Colt, any officer frame with a commander slide would do. Spare mags for the full size work in the Officer frame, and many if not most holsters will work for both the Gov't and the CCO.

I think the budget 1911 manufacturers (RIA, Howa, Interstate, Citadel, etc.) are completely overlooking a niche market by not producing the CCO setup. But, I've been wrong before...

Is there really a big difference of accuracy from a 5" barrel compared to a 4" barrel? I've shot 2 different 1911's w/5" barrel and I shot great! I did find a sweet Citadel with a 4" barrel that's got me in this quandary. If only I had a money tree and I could just get both..........

What does CCO stand for?

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I used to have 2 springfields, one is my mil spec and the other was a loaded stainless V12, I just traded the V12 off for a Kimber custom compact series 1. Which is the 4" barrel, officers frame. I've had some spring and trigger work done to the mil spec so this weekend we will see which one I'm more accurate with.

If you have a grand I'd easily go for the STI, but any Kimber, or Springfield are hard to beat. Go for a Springfield loaded or used Kimber series 1 and use the extra money for mags and ammo :D

Eulogy32

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Carmel, Indiana
    I'd say Kimber, but I'm also biased. Sig also makes a good line of 1911's under a grand. I would, however, look for a newer production model of the Sigs, the originals had some kinks that needed to be worked out.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    I've heard good things about the RI's... I want to get one and do a little work to it to make a decent gun...

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    Suggestions.
    If I wanted to spend the whole $1K, I'd look at a Springfield Loaded or a STI Trojan.
    If I wanted some jingle left in my pocket after all was said and done, I'd look at the STI Spartan. If I was on a budget, I'd look at a Rock Island.
    Reasoning.
    I have a Spartan and a RI .38 Super. Both have been 100% since I found what they like to eat. (I don't think either one has seen a round of factory yet).
    Oh, I did replace the magazines on both also.

Top Bottom